ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-19-2017   #1
Dynomite

Default Battery Disconnect

It has to be said one more time.....the Battery Disconnect is the Cats Meow

I have always disconnected the negative battery terminal if the vehicle is expected to sit for a couple weeks. I have been using this battery disconnect. Always have full battery power even after a couple months of battery disconnect. No messing with having to have electrical power and hood open or partially closed and no concern about electrical shorts when sitting with power connected (and electrical cords) for a while.

After sitting in freezing temperatures since Dec 2016 to April 2017 with the Battery Disconnect switches disconnected, both ZR-1s fired right up within 3 seconds as if they had FULL Batteries....which they did since the batteries were disconnected

Battery Disconnect

Last edited by Dynomite; 04-19-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017   #2
Tripler

Default Re: Battery Disconnect

Wow . Have to get one of those for sure ...

Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017   #3
Tripler

What do you think of this unit at Princess Auto ...

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ch/A-p4210962e
Old 04-19-2017   #4
Tripler

Found the one you have at Corvette Depot .

http://www.corvettedepot.ca/electric...itch-side-post
Old 04-19-2017   #5
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripler View Post

That will work if you have a post battery........I use the one shown for the stock battery. I have "pitched" this a couple years ago and except for loosing radio channels in memory.....no harm and absolutely no fowl. Just leave the hood unlatched......raise the hood a foot and connect or disconnect battery (or latch the hood and the disconnect switch acts as theft protection). I actually disconnect the batteries using the disconnect switche if I leave the Z sit for a few days just for insurance that nothing electrical can happen and batteries stay FULL Charge.

I thought I should mention this option one more time since I just fired up two Zs that had sit in cold climate for 4 months and absolutely NO battery drain during the 4 months. You can find the Disconnect Switches on Ebay for less than $7 more or less.

Quote:
Found the one you have at Corvette Depot .

http://www.corvettedepot.ca/electric...itch-side-post
I think you can do better on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIDE-MOUNT-B...JTWcMw&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Dynomite; 04-19-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2017   #6
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:

You need a side post cutoff like the one pictured in the post above yours.
The fused cable keeps the radio stations alive, but if you turn on anything significant should you forget, it will blow the fuse.
No big deal to re set the radio stations, but the cable will elimination the need to do so.

While I use a cutoff, mainly for when showing the car, I use a battery tender with the permanent mount connector and feed it out through the lower fender vents, so I do not need to open the hood to hook it up or disconnect it.
Makes it a breeze to use, and have been using the tender for 20 years with no problems ever.

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017   #7
Tripler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
That will work if you have a post battery........I use the one shown for the stock battery. I have "pitched" this a couple years ago and except for loosing radio channels in memory.....no harm and absolutely no fowl. Just leave the hood unlatched......raise the hood a foot and connect or disconnect battery (or latch the hood and the disconnect switch acts as theft protection). I actually disconnect the batteries using the disconnect switche if I leave the Z sit for a few days just for insurance that nothing electrical can happen and batteries stay FULL Charge.

I thought I should mention this option one more time since I just fired up two Zs that had sit in cold climate for 4 months and absolutely NO battery drain during the 4 months.
We had ours on a solar trickle charger but it did not get enough sun this winter so I had to do the 110 volt charge for a day or 2 to get the battery back up . Those cut offs look pretty cool . I take it you just loosen the plastic nut out to make an open circuit ?
Old 04-19-2017   #8
Dynomite

Quote:
We had ours on a solar trickle charger but it did not get enough sun this winter so I had to do the 110 volt charge for a day or 2 to get the battery back up . Those cut offs look pretty cool . I take it you just loosen the plastic nut out to make an open circuit ?
Ha.....yep.....one full turn counterclockwise and you are disconnected......then just finger tight clockwise and fire it up

You do not even have to raise the hood more than a foot.......

When I fired up both Zs an hour ago.....I could not tell that the batteries had drained at all over the winter. And do not have to concern myself with mice messing with electrical trickle charger and all the electrical I have to keep hot just for a trickle charger. Not to mention the trickle charger wire connectors.

Last edited by Dynomite; 04-19-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2017   #9
ssrszz4

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27743

Battery Disconnect

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
ssrszz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #10
Hog

Remove or disconnect the negative terminal and leave them cold. Lead Acid batteries store better in the cold.

If you put a volt meter on any lead acid battery it will discharge slowly over the months, which why a trickle or float charger is used.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote