ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-10-2013   #21
Hog

Default Re: Which headers?

These headers on Tepepmeie's 703hp 427 LT5 are the best appearing headers for the LT5.
Quote from said member I believe they are ex-Baker racing headers from the road racing program in the 90's. Had them re-coated this year. 2 in. primaries / 28 in. long. They fit in a C4, I had them in my 91 previously. Torque is improved over the standard Watson/Jeals.

These headers supported 703 on the engine dyno, or 640 rwhp on the chassis dyno,corrected.

These headers would provide for power increases in a narrow rpm band because of their equal length, or near equal length primaries, the other headers I have seen have unequal length primaries lending themselves to a more broad power band.
I could be argued that unequal length headers could be better for a street car, and vice-versa. Certainly ANY sort of tubular exhaust header is better than the stock manifolds.

I would love to see some video so we could here the idle of that car once he gets her all tuned up. Heck even untuned, I love to hear a clip.

Stainless Works LT5 headers (both)

OBX LT5 header

Here is a Jeal header

peace
Hog

Last edited by Hog; 05-10-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #22
FU

Lovin those 2" primary's !!

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #23
Karl

Thank you for the welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Welcome onto the boards there...

-----------------------------

What work do you have in your top end there, boosted, to get the extra twist in the rear wheels???

------------------------------------

and is header wrap beneficial?

With no portwork up top (yet), and exhaust gases not pushing capacity, the gases would cool quickly, and cooler gases are heavieir to push out the back...

1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*

Last edited by Karl; 05-11-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #24
USAFPILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
These headers on Tepepmeie's 703hp 427 LT5 are the best appearing headers for the LT5.
Quote from said member I believe they are ex-Baker racing headers from the road racing program in the 90's. Had them re-coated this year. 2 in. primaries / 28 in. long. They fit in a C4, I had them in my 91 previously. Torque is improved over the standard Watson/Jeals.

These headers supported 703 on the engine dyno, or 640 rwhp on the chassis dyno,corrected.

These headers would provide for power increases in a narrow rpm band because of their equal length, or near equal length primaries, the other headers I have seen have unequal length primaries lending themselves to a more broad power band.
I could be argued that unequal length headers could be better for a street car, and vice-versa. Certainly ANY sort of tubular exhaust header is better than the stock manifolds.

I would love to see some video so we could here the idle of that car once he gets her all tuned up. Heck even untuned, I love to hear a clip.

Stainlkess Works LT5 headers

Here is a Jeal header

OBX LT5 header

peace
Hog
my SW headers are the longer version than those depicted.
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #25
USAFPILOT

http://www.stainlessworks.net/produc...5-headers.html they will set them up for the air system if you want to pay extra, I did. If I could go back I would just ditch the air system, but I wanted to retain the emissions equipment for resale if it ever became necessary.
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #26
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFPILOT View Post
my SW headers are the longer version than those depicted.
I added a longer set as well, from Stainless Works.

peace
Hog
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #27
Fully Vetted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbusa View Post
Will Corey be at BG?
No, he will not.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #28
boostedmaxPSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Welcome onto the boards there...

-----------------------------

What work do you have in your top end there, boosted, to get the extra twist in the rear wheels???

------------------------------------

and is header wrap beneficial?

With no portwork up top (yet), and exhaust gases not pushing capacity, the gases would cool quickly, and cooler gases are heavieir to push out the back...

See post 37. I outline all that has been. Hope this helps.
http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17214&page=4
1992 Callaway SuperNatural 435 Aerobody (sold)

For Sale:
boostedmaxPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #29
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
The 90 LT5 has the most to gain from porting the top end. The primary runners are 33mm compared to 34.5 (about) for the later 93s and up. Also, the primary injectors are sealed at the top of the injector instead of at the bottom. This allows you to remove ALL of the shroud on the primary side injectors -making the 90 IH thee ideal year for top end porting.

The starting point for most top end porting is approx. 36mm. There are nuances that improve over that (but Pete n Marc each have dibbs on one of my family jewels, should I divulge a sacred FBI secret)

As far as port matching into the heads, I believe there is merit to tapering the port all the way down to the valve guide. But, there is some real concern for "punching through" if you don't have a road map, and pulling the head(s) means pulling the motor...not a cheap or easy thing to do.

P.
This I do not understand; NOT an O-ring seal at the top and bottom??? At the fuel rail, and at the port inlet?

Does FSM have a pic of the setup? Anybody got a snappic here? I suppose I'll see it when I get there, if ever....................

--------------------------------------------

And what's the definition of 'tubular' headers? As opposed to ? headers?
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #30
efnfast

Schrade, tubular headers are made with tubes as opossed to well, I don't know. maybe someone tried making them out of square stock, or flat stock (wouldn't flow very well).
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote