ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-29-2016   #11
WB9MCW

Default Re: The Time is Now......

Soundz like a great decision - we only have so much time on the earth to enjoy the toys. It is not who has the most toys that is the winner but the guy who enjoys his toys the most is the true winner.
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016   #12
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredgeguy View Post
Congrats Tom and looking forward to seeing you in Wazoo land.
Thanks Charlie, looking forward to some great learning experiences with the WAZOO group for sure.
Putting the ZR-1 back on full insurance this Saturday in time for its first road trip on Sunday. Going to visit some old high school friends who are over an hour away. Will feel great to get the ZR-1 on the road again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB9MCW View Post
Soundz like a great decision - we only have so much time on the earth to enjoy the toys. It is not who has the most toys that is the winner but the guy who enjoys his toys the most is the true winner.
Thanks, I like the way that you worded that thought. I may have to borrow that from time-to-time.......

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016   #13
HAWAIIZR-1

Congratulations!!!! Life is short so enjoy every minute of it. It sounds like you have a great plan there.

Aloha,
Craig
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016   #14
RICHARD TILL

Roadster, I hope that you have forged pistons with deep valve reliefs. Small dome, flat or dished? I`m guessing cast. At about .570 lift on the cam and you`re in danger of valve to piston interference. On the 3917215 heads you`re your limited to about .550 lift before danger of retainer to guide clearance problems. Mill the guides down and machine them for positive seals. Need at least .060 clearance to be safe. Don`t worry about those heads not being able to breathe. It`s the same closed chamber head that was on the earlier 396`s & 427`s. The 489 i have with the Bullit .709/.709 roller has a set of oval port 781`s with 2.190/1.880 valves. Edelbrock with 1150 Dominator. MSD dist. and 6AL box. It runs 10.20 in the quarter @ 6300 rpm wot. With a three second 150 shot it`ll run a 9.70 @ 6700 rpm wot. A Fel-Pro 4.370 bore gasket compressed to .039 would be a good choice unless you could find a Victor tin metal gasket. In the early 70`s i would spray them with aluminum paint on both sides and apply asap. Hope i haven`t been a bother. Not trying to steal the post. Best of luck in retirement.
RICHARD TILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016   #15
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Congratulations!!!! Life is short so enjoy every minute of it. It sounds like you have a great plan there.

Aloha,
Craig
Thanks Craig.....everyday is one day less I know, it will be here before I know it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD TILL View Post
Roadster, I hope that you have forged pistons with deep valve reliefs. Small dome, flat or dished? I`m guessing cast. At about .570 lift on the cam and you`re in danger of valve to piston interference. On the 3917215 heads you`re your limited to about .550 lift before danger of retainer to guide clearance problems. Mill the guides down and machine them for positive seals. Need at least .060 clearance to be safe. Don`t worry about those heads not being able to breathe. It`s the same closed chamber head that was on the earlier 396`s & 427`s. The 489 i have with the Bullit .709/.709 roller has a set of oval port 781`s with 2.190/1.880 valves. Edelbrock with 1150 Dominator. MSD dist. and 6AL box. It runs 10.20 in the quarter @ 6300 rpm wot. With a three second 150 shot it`ll run a 9.70 @ 6700 rpm wot. A Fel-Pro 4.370 bore gasket compressed to .039 would be a good choice unless you could find a Victor tin metal gasket. In the early 70`s i would spray them with aluminum paint on both sides and apply asap. Hope i haven`t been a bother. Not trying to steal the post. Best of luck in retirement.

Richard, no problem what-so-ever. Your times form your build are great, sounds like a very strong motor.
I am not an experienced engine builder by any stretch. So your thoughts and suggestions are very well appreciated. I think I will have to "tap" your brain even more as time goes on, if you don't mind!!! I need to get the specs on the cam, can't remember off hand, and the pistons are the stock LS4 units which are in the pic below.
I think that they are 8.25:1
And thanks again for the well wishes.....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 03-01-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2016   #16
RICHARD TILL

Those are flat top cast pistons in an unhealthy engine. Needs re-ringed unless your valve guides and seals are nearly gone. With 2.190 and 1.880 valves you`ll quickly have clearance problems. What are your expectations of the rebuilt engine and budget? What was done to the Q-jet when rebuilt?
Old 03-02-2016   #17
Roadster

Quote:
Those are flat top cast pistons in an unhealthy engine. Needs re-ringed unless your valve guides and seals are nearly gone. With 2.190 and 1.880 valves you`ll quickly have clearance problems. What are your expectations of the rebuilt engine and budget? What was done to the Q-jet when rebuilt?
This engine only has 10,254 original miles on it. It was owned by an older couple from CT. They just used it around town for their 34 years of ownership. The Vette was never really out on the highway or taken on long trips. Hence, why it probably looks like it does. The cylinder walls still have the crosshatch pattern in them.
What I am looking to do is have a non-smog motor that will run up to 5500-6000 r's with no problem. Just looking for a good driver with some power. I may take it down to the track once or twice to see what times I would turn. I can use the "215" heads or sell them and use one of the two sets of "781" that I have. One set is the original set, the other set are redone and ready to go with regular size valves.
I welcome your recommendations, if I use the "215" heads, what pistons would you recommend??? Or use the rebuilt "781" heads and not touch the bottom end. The crank spins freely, and I have not taken off any of the bearing caps to check the bearings.
The Q-Jet was rebuilt by Lars, as mentioned before, and it set-up according to the cam and heads I told him that I was using. Nothing radical. I don't want to spend a whole lot of $$$, but I do want to make sure I do this correctly.

The cam specs: Lunati.....
Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller. Great mid range torque and power. Likes 2000 RPM stall converter and works great in towing applications with lower gearing. Largest for inboard/outboard performance marine use.
•Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 272/280
•Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 221/229
•Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .575/.575
•LSA/ICL: 112/106
•Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
•RPM Range: 1800-5800
•Includes: Cam & Lifters (#72431-16)

This is the spring pressure that is set on the "215" heads.
"For the Lunati roller I need 135 lbs on the seat and 340-350 lbs Open.
The Isky springs already installed on my #215 heads are 135 lbs seat pressure and 350 lbs open pressure"

Another member from CF recommended that I up the spring pressure slightly for this set-up.......

Again, any recommendations are more than welcome & appreciated..........

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 03-02-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2016   #18
BYEBYE2U

Tom
You have the right idea about bumping comp. but unless you mill the "215"s ALOT you will not see a point
Use a set of TRW/Speed Pro H693CP with a .230 dome that will give you 10-1 with your 781 heads
Look for a slightly bigger cam in duration around 225-235 degrees of duration on the intake @.050
Do not exceed 240 duration with power brakes !
Definitely bump spring pressure up at least by 20+ lbs
Mill block n heads flat n drive over to Astoria NY n we will assemble engine
Got Fel-Pro gaskets n oil pump waiting for you
Congrats on retirement
BYEBYE2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016   #19
RICHARD TILL

About 30 years ago i installed a .578/.578 solid lifter cam with the same pistons and rectangular port closed chamber heads. 2.190/1.880 valves. Heads were shaved .030 . The valves hit the pistons. No money for new pistons so i took a die grinder and afro-engineered the valve reliefs. It looked awful. Was in a jet boat and would turn 5500 rpm`s @ wot. Ran it one summer and replaced with forged TRW`s. Dome height was about .250 . BYEBYEU gave good advise on a cam. @ .050 duration a .230 cam will just begin to lope. @ .240 it`ll be more than just a lope with an increased idle speed and decreased vacuum. If you don`t have enough intake manifold vacuum, it wont close the power valve. Then it`ll be rich at idle and the exhaust will burn your eyes. Replace those pistons and use Melling M77 oil pump. Fro-Pro gaskets. Some of those heads had exhaust valve rotators and aluminum spring retainers. Both belong in file thirteen. Good insurance is to upgrade the 3/8 rod bolts. Lets build a monster that will survive.
Old 03-04-2016   #20
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEBYE2U View Post
Tom
You have the right idea about bumping comp. but unless you mill the "215"s ALOT you will not see a point
Use a set of TRW/Speed Pro H693CP with a .230 dome that will give you 10-1 with your 781 heads
Look for a slightly bigger cam in duration around 225-235 degrees of duration on the intake @.050
Do not exceed 240 duration with power brakes !
Definitely bump spring pressure up at least by 20+ lbs
Mill block n heads flat n drive over to Astoria NY n we will assemble engine
Got Fel-Pro gaskets n oil pump waiting for you
Congrats on retirement
Thanks, and will keep you in mind for the engine assembly......

Quote:
About 30 years ago i installed a .578/.578 solid lifter cam with the same pistons and rectangular port closed chamber heads. 2.190/1.880 valves. Heads were shaved .030 . The valves hit the pistons. No money for new pistons so i took a die grinder and afro-engineered the valve reliefs. It looked awful. Was in a jet boat and would turn 5500 rpm`s @ wot. Ran it one summer and replaced with forged TRW`s. Dome height was about .250 . BYEBYEU gave good advise on a cam. @ .050 duration a .230 cam will just begin to lope. @ .240 it`ll be more than just a lope with an increased idle speed and decreased vacuum. If you don`t have enough intake manifold vacuum, it wont close the power valve. Then it`ll be rich at idle and the exhaust will burn your eyes. Replace those pistons and use Melling M77 oil pump. Fro-Pro gaskets. Some of those heads had exhaust valve rotators and aluminum spring retainers. Both belong in file thirteen. Good insurance is to upgrade the 3/8 rod bolts. Lets build a monster that will survive.
Questions for the two of you.......

1- I checked out the pistons from Summit and they are reasonable.
Since I already own the roller cam that I mentioned above, can I still use those "215" heads with the new pistons and that cam without any complications?

2- Can I use that roller cam with the stock pistons and one of the "781" head sets that I have without any complications?

3- Will the roller cam that I have create a vacuum problem, and if so, will an additional vacuum tank correct that problem?

4- I may be doing away with my vacuum headlights and go electric, since I have all the parts to do so. If that be the case, will the vacuum from the factory reservoir be sufficient enough for the motor to perform properly?

Again, thanks for any opinions and advice......

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member