ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > OFF TOPIC

Old 11-02-2013   #1
alwayscode390

Arrow I need some advice on selling a vehicle online, and shipping it to a buyer please ---

I am selling a vehicle on Ebay , and the ad states " must pick up in person , pay in person, and sign the paperwork in person ".

I found a potential buyer that cant fly out here , and is trying to get me to ship the vehicle. I understand its hard to justify the costs, the time away from work and pets, ect.

My biggest worry is getting paid, shipping the truck ... then the payment getting yanked back. I have heard some cashiers checks are so good when they are faked that the bank accepts them ... deposits the money ... then DAYS afterwords its caught and the money gets taken back.

Do you have any advice for me?

I am thinking :

Payment by bank transfer , sign title and send with adult signature and tracking by USPS , paypal the $500 deposit ... and have them pay all shipping and transfer fees. How do I get them to sign the little stub at the bottom of the title so I can give it to the DMV as proof of transfer and the bill of sale for a tax credit?

Can I fax a copy of the stub and paper, then have them notarize the fax and have it sent back to me even though it isn't the original copy of the stub ... or should I send that paperwork with the title and have it overnighted to them and back to me?

Once I get all the paperwork and the payment clears, then the vehicle goes?

Are money transfers DONE once completed, or is there a chance to get the money reversed somehow?

THANKS! ---
90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013   #2
gbrtng

Default Re: I need some advice on selling a vehicle online, and shipping it to a buyer please

The safest way in my world is for him to overnight the cash to you. Else talk to your banker and noodle out the best foolproof process. Do not give him your bank wire transfer info. Scammers are everywhere.
Old 11-03-2013   #3
WVZR-1

Default Re: I need some advice on selling a vehicle online, and shipping it to a buyer please

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrtng View Post
The safest way in my world is for him to overnight the cash to you. Else talk to your banker and noodle out the best foolproof process. Do not give him your bank wire transfer info. Scammers are everywhere.
The overnight of the cash certainly works! If you've a good relationship with your banker, that's what he's there for - it's certainly not the "interest rates" that keeps you around.

I'd think a good start to evaluating the buyer and the sale might be to put yourself in his position and location. Would you pay your ask for the car sight unseen and pay to have it shipped? I'm guessing this is maybe your Syclone? Is the buyer a current owner of one?

Have you made any attempts at a "local" sale? There's legitimate buyers for "collectibles" in most every area of the country. Those are often the least aggravating if you're actually looking to sell and you might be surprised how close to your ask some are willing to pay.

**** I see maybe it is your Syclone and I really like the "overnight" of the cash!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-03-2013 at 08:11 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013   #4
alwayscode390

Good call, its better to be safe than sorry.

I will look further into the transferring of the money.

Thanks for the heads up! ---
Old 11-03-2013   #5
mike100

The safest way to accept checks is to meet the buyer in a bank branch of their institution and watch the check come from the tellers hands across the counter. Then you know it is real.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #6
efnfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
I am selling a vehicle on Ebay , and the ad states " must pick up in person , pay in person, and sign the paperwork in person ".

I found a potential buyer that cant fly out here , and is trying to get me to ship the vehicle. I understand its hard to justify the costs, the time away from work and pets, ect.

My biggest worry is getting paid, shipping the truck ... then the payment getting yanked back. I have heard some cashiers checks are so good when they are faked that the bank accepts them ... deposits the money ... then DAYS afterwords its caught and the money gets taken back.

Do you have any advice for me?

I am thinking :

Payment by bank transfer , sign title and send with adult signature and tracking by USPS , paypal the $500 deposit ... and have them pay all shipping and transfer fees. How do I get them to sign the little stub at the bottom of the title so I can give it to the DMV as proof of transfer and the bill of sale for a tax credit?

Can I fax a copy of the stub and paper, then have them notarize the fax and have it sent back to me even though it isn't the original copy of the stub ... or should I send that paperwork with the title and have it overnighted to them and back to me?

Once I get all the paperwork and the payment clears, then the vehicle goes?

Are money transfers DONE once completed, or is there a chance to get the money reversed somehow?

THANKS! ---
This sounds like a tragady waiting to happen. To bad for him he's going to miss out on a nice truck.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #7
FU

I'd accept a bank certified check with the VIN written on it. When you receive the check call the issuing bank and give them the certified check number to see if it's legit. Or just take the check to your bank and have them call the issuing bank to inquire about the check also documenting the bank representitive's name and the buyer's account etc.
Then if all is ok deposit the check and wait for it to clear. Then ship the vehicle .

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237

Last edited by FU; 11-03-2013 at 08:28 AM.
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #8
alwayscode390

I am actually selling my Syclone and my Harley Truck right now.

I have them on craigslist , but just some tire kickers have shown up.

Thanks for the advice guys.

EFNFAST what do you mean "tragedy waiting to happen" ... am I being too specific with things? I'd rather be safe than sorry ---
Old 11-03-2013   #9
efnfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
I am actually selling my Syclone and my Harley Truck right now.

I have them on craigslist , but just some tire kickers have shown up.

Thanks for the advice guys.

EFNFAST what do you mean "tragedy waiting to happen" ... am I being too specific with things? I'd rather be safe than sorry ---
I'm afraid you'll give your truck away, and good luck chasing the guy down. This just doesn't sound good to me. Every time I ask the girls at the bank how to safely get a bank check, they always tell me you can always stop payment on a check. That's not to say some of the above idea's are not sound.
You specifically said in person sales only, now this guy is willing to buy it sight unseen? -Steve
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #10
icarus-54

Nate,have them send you a bank money order,they have to buy it first.Before you release the truck have your bank verify it first.Thats what I did when I sold my other ty to some idiot in California.
Jack
1990 Zr-1 #361
1991 GMC Syclone (built)
1993 GMC Typhoon (stock)
1993 GMC Typhoon (street)
1992 GMC Sonoma GT
1928 Model A pick up
icarus-54 is offline   Reply With Quote