ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Racing > Personal Racing Stories

Old 02-26-2011   #1
rhipsher

Default ZR-1 top end is hard to hang with.

On the way home last night this hemi charger with blacked out windows and headers thought he was gonna school me. Hahaha! Boy was he wrong. We were paceing eachother at 120mph with me behind him. And I pulled around him in 4th gear and just freaken blew past him and I watched him disappear in my rear veiw mirror as he tried to hang. When I hit 158mph he was gone. I slowed back down to 80 it took him 4 minutes to catch back up to me. He cruises up beside me at about 40 and I suppose he wanted to get a closer look at the car that just blasted away from him at a 120mph roll. He probably wondered if it was the same car because I was literally out of his site. Then I slowed down and was driving like grandma after exiting the freeway. That's always fun to do.
Even 21 years later the top end of our cars is just spectacular.

Last edited by rhipsher; 02-26-2011 at 10:20 PM.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #2
XfireZ51

Default Re: ZR-1 top end is hard to hang with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
On the way home last night this hemi charger with blacked out windows and headers thought he was gonna school me. Hahaha! Boy was he wrong. We were paceing eachother at 120mph with me behind him. And I pulled around him in 4th gear and just freaken blew past him and I watched him disappear in my rear veiw mirror as he tried to hang. When I hit 158mph he was gone. I slowed back down to 80 it took him 4 minutes to catch back up to me. He cruises up beside me at about 40 and I suppose he wanted to get a closer look at the car that just blasted away from him at a 120mph roll. He probably wondered if it was the same car because I was literally out of his site. Then I slowed down and was driving like grandma after exiting the freeway. That's always fun to do.
Even 21 years later the top end of our cars is just spectacular.
The fact that he is trying to
drive a brick thru the air didn't help. Top end is what our cars were really built for.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #3
rhipsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
The fact that he is trying to
drive a brick thru the air didn't help. Top end is what our cars were really built for.
You got that right Dom. But people will still try. You can make allot of cars fast off the line but 100mph and up our cars are in their element. That's where they dominant.
Old 02-27-2011   #4
Hammer

Talking Re: ZR-1 top end is hard to hang with.

Nice kill story.
You're correct though, the top end charge is amazing.
Best one I have is at the drags with a 70 Camaro that was sandbagging me. He caught me at the 330 ft. mark and played the rest of the way down, putting a fender on me now and then. Problem was, he lost the fender about the 1000 ft mark and couldn't get it back. As most know, the 1000 mark is where these cars are in their zone, pulling like a freight train.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #5
todesengel

It's the vtec yo!
todesengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #6
rhipsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Nice kill story.
You're correct though, the top end charge is amazing.
Best one I have is at the drags with a 70 Camaro that was sandbagging me. He caught me at the 330 ft. mark and played the rest of the way down, putting a fender on me now and then. Problem was, he lost the fender about the 1000 ft mark and couldn't get it back. As most know, the 1000 mark is where these cars are in their zone, pulling like a freight train.
yep! As many C6Z06's as Ive drag raced against im always neck and neck with them down 3/4 of the way down the strip and even are ahead of them out of the hole but that last 100 feet of the 1/4 mile they come flying by me 20 miles an hour faster than me. At that point though its just a matter of hp. 357rwhp vs 435rwhp.
Old 03-26-2011   #7
todesengel

same reason you never roll race a big single turbo supra. You think lt5's have pull over 5k, try a gt4788 stroked 2j. When you can smack liter bikes around you know you have top end

Nice to murder a newer car eh? lol
todesengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #8
white shark

smacked a gxrr1000 with my stock 90 @100
white shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #9
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
yep! As many C6Z06's as Ive drag raced against im always neck and neck with them down 3/4 of the way down the strip and even are ahead of them out of the hole but that last 100 feet of the 1/4 mile they come flying by me 20 miles an hour faster than me. At that point though its just a matter of hp. 357rwhp vs 435rwhp.
Don't forget we're talking about giving away nearly 1.7L. You just need to put intake and exhaust cams on that thing. It'll be a much closer race. And a
427 LT-5 will definitely be the equal of an LS-7.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #10
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
same reason you never roll race a big single turbo supra. You think lt5's have pull over 5k, try a gt4788 stroked 2j. When you can smack liter bikes around you know you have top end

Nice to murder a newer car eh? lol

Ask Kurt white about that game