ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-09-2013   #11
USAFPILOT

Default Re: ZR-1 newbie oil change question

drain it with the car level for 30 min...it will hold 8.5-9 quarts. The whole system is like 12 quarts. It helps if you poke a hole in the top of the oil filter to help it drain out and not make a mess.
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #12
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFPILOT View Post
drain it with the car level for 30 min...it will hold 8.5-9 quarts. The whole system is like 12 quarts. It helps if you poke a hole in the top of the oil filter to help it drain out and not make a mess.
Poking a hole in the filter is a great suggestion. I do that no matter what I'm changin oil in, esp if the filter is mounted vertically. It keeps from spilling oil all over as you pull the filter down and away.

peace
Hog
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #13
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
some will tell you it needs to be left to drain over night, but I think that's rubbish. I've let mine drain for a much shorter length of time and always had around to replace ~8 or 9 quarts of oil with the filter.
I have to agree with this. Well all except the "rubbish" part.
I'd say it's garbage
There is no need to get to every last drop. If that were the case
you'd need to dismantle the engine and wipe out every crevice.
I don't wait 24hrs for the oil to drain and I don't pull up the carpet to
get to the dirt underneath.

I'd stick with a good oil. Not something sold out of someone's garage.
AND I'd run it good and hard and hot before changing so as to get the
oil out in the radiator stack to circulate. Then since you're not sure when it was last changed I'd change it again in 500 mi to better get more of the 4qts that is not readily accessible (~12qts - 8qts = 4qts)
I use Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #14
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
some will tell you it needs to be left to drain over night, but I think that's rubbish. I've let mine drain for a much shorter length of time and always had around to replace ~8 or 9 quarts of oil with the filter.
I couldn't agree more.Warm up the car,get it up in the air and drain the oil,20 minutes tops.Now,if your doing the first oil change I can see letting it drain as much as possible,dont know what kind of oil was use but for a basic oil change,its no different than any other oil change as far as Im concerned.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #15
Racinfan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
Poking a hole in the filter is a great suggestion. I do that no matter what I'm changin oil in, esp if the filter is mounted vertically. It keeps from spilling oil all over as you pull the filter down and away.

peace
Hog
That is one of those" DOH" things that you just reminded me of....
My Civic dumps oil all over when I unscrew the filter. Never even thought about putting a hole in it to drain it "nicely".... Man, I feel like an idiot now...
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #16
Hib Halverson

The part about waiting overnight is not for the oil to drain out of the pan, it's for the oil filter to drain so, when you change it, oil doesn't leak out the base and down onto the right front of the engine.

What I do is, in the evening after work, I drive the car up on 2x4s. Then I get the floor jack under it and put the car on stands with the right side a "notch" higher than the left. I pull the drain plug and let it drain for a while. As others have said, you can't get all the oil out, anyway, so overnight is not going to make much difference.

I put the plug back in, set the car back on the shop floor then let it sit over night. In the morning, I come out and change the filter.

No muss, no fuss.

Been doing my '95 that way since I bought it in '95.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote