ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-02-2016   #11
A26B

Default Re: New Years Day Oklahoma Earthquake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Fracking and Oklahoma Earthquakes

North Dakota Fracking is slowing down (or not speeding up as fast) due to oil prices hitting the skids. I am sure we will start seeing earthquakes in South Dakota.

North Dakota Fracking
How sure are you about that? I would take that wager, but neither of us will live long enough to settle the bet!
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016   #12
Jetjock

Jerry, Hoyt Axton always said that Oklahoma was the cultural center of the universe. Guess that applies to earthquakes as well. Take care.

If I feel the need for speed,
I just think about flying the B-777.

1989 Dk Blue Coupe lost in divorce
1991 Black Coupe SOLD
1992 Black ZR-1 #423 SOLD!
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary ZR-1 #334
1995 Black ZR-1 taken by ex-wife
2002 Pewter Coupe no idea where it is
2003 50th Anniversary Corvette #No idea what number SOLD!
ZR-1 Net Registry #516
Grand Sport Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime #1468
ZR-1 Net Registry Board Secretary
Jetjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016   #13
Bob Eyres

[QUOTE=A26B;236575]Fracing has been used since the 50's. Blaming the majority of this activity on fracing & saltwater disposal wells is ridiculous. Oklahoma law prohibits disposal well injection pressures above the formation frac gradient. In my locale, there are hardly any oil or gas wells and most did not require frac stimulation, were drilled decades ago and at depths well under 2km. Hardly to blame for local earthquakes. Most of Oklahoma's earthquakes occur at depth of 3~7km+ deep.

Yup. just "coincidental". Nevertheless, I heard the Oklahoma legislature just passed some regs. to cut down on the waste water being injected due to fracking.
I hope things calm down for you Jerry.
My theory is that it's all those televised Okie street racers, with those "ground pounding" big blocks that are contributing to this. Damn that "Farm Truck".
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016   #14
Fully Vetted

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
Fracing has been used since the 50's. Blaming the majority of this activity on fracing & saltwater disposal wells is ridiculous. Oklahoma law prohibits disposal well injection pressures above the formation frac gradient. In my locale, there are hardly any oil or gas wells and most did not require frac stimulation, were drilled decades ago and at depths well under 2km. Hardly to blame for local earthquakes. Most of Oklahoma's earthquakes occur at depth of 3~7km+ deep.

Most people tend to think of their lifetime as a substantial period of time & therefore relevant to the frequency of earthquakes. Surprise, a human lifetime of 75 years is completely insignificant to geological time. The last major tectonic activity in Oklahoma & Kansas ocurred during the Mississippian age about 350,000,000 years ago, or roughly 5,000,000 lifetimes ago. What we are experiencing, in my opinion, is a period of adjustment for accumulated stresses. One fault shifts a little & relieves pressure on an adjacent fault, so it moves a little, etc. This is not a bad thing. If those stresses are not relieved in small movements, they build up into major movement. That's bad.

It's turned into a chicken little, "the sky is falling" scenario. Earthquake insurance is now offered as a rider. Pay the extra premium, along with a large deductible, and you can be protected against major earthquake damage. Whoa, not so fast!! That's only if it's not man-made or a result of oil & gas activity or disposal. SO they take your premium payment & shout fracing & disposal are responsible and refuse to pay your claim. SO, now the burden falls to the consumer to sue & prove that it was a natural ocurrence. An expensive case to try with lots of expert witnesses & no definitive answer, just lots of opinions. BS!
I agree 100%. Put it in the same bucket as global warming.

You do like to live life on the edge, though. As if the tornadoes aren't enough lets throw in a couple thousand earthquakes a year!

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016   #15
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
I agree 100%. Put it in the same bucket as global warming.

You do like to live life on the edge, though. As if the tornadoes aren't enough lets throw in a couple thousand earthquakes a year!
Famous old Marine quote "Let's go Marines! You wanna live forever?"
Always something, WTF?
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote