ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 Members' Rides

Old 02-01-2021   #11
Corvette95

Default Re: Best regards from the Autobahn :)

Welcome... is this your first Corvette C4?
1989 C4 Conv Wht/Red Auto SOLD
1996 C4 Conv Black/Tan Auto SOLD
1994 C4 Coupe Wht/Blk SOLD
1995 C4 ZR-1 White/Gry #278 Dual Dunn Head SOLD
1986 C4 Coupe Black/Red 4+3 SOLD
1990 C4 ZR-1 Red/Red #0454
Corvette95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021   #12
Matt B

Unfortunately yes . I've always been a fan of the Corvette but was more focused on C5 upwards. My only contact with the C4 was an early model which - though being a kid of the 80's - never seemed to be too impressive to me. Then I discovered the ZR-1 and knowing it exists left only option: go and get one! So... I did. And so far I'm glad. I'm spending time with her every day.

Matt
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021   #13
Matt B

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sting View Post
Guten Tag and welcome, Matt. And congratulations on your ownership of a ZR-1!

We lived in West Germany in the mid-80s, compliments of the U.S. Air Force, and enjoyed every bit of our time. We traveled all over, when we got the chance - such beautiful countryside. Our German landlord and his family was very kind to us, which made things all the better.

I'm sure we all will enjoy seeing photos of your red ZR-1 with the backdrop of the epic scenery there.

Again, welcome and enjoy that beast!

-- Mike
Mike, may I ask where about in Germany you used to live? I spent my time at the German army on former US Army premises. Unfortunately the troops had left before we moved in, but there was plenty of US Army spirit in the air. That was long before I could afford my first Buick but boy, did I love this area.

Have a good day

Matt
Old 02-01-2021   #14
Jagdpanzer

Hi Matt,
Welcome to the group.
I've worked for German diesel engine companies MTU Friedrichshafen and MAN Augsburg most of my professional career so very familiar with your area of Germany. My dream is one day to bring my ZR-1 over for some quality Autobahn and Alps driving.
Once things get back to normal I will be traveling to Augsburg again and perhaps we could meet up somewhere along the way for a beer.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021   #15
Matt B

Hi Phil,

very good! Augsburg actually isn't far away from my location - compared to the U.S. I'd say "next door". So whenever you decide to visit just give me a shout.
Taking your ZR-1 to Germany sounds exciting. But don't wait too long, they've been discussing about a general speed limit on Autobahn for years now and you never know what the next election might bring...
The Alps however will remain beautiful no matter what speed limits there are

Matt
Old 02-09-2021   #16
G-Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B View Post
Mike, may I ask where about in Germany you used to live? I spent my time at the German army on former US Army premises. Unfortunately the troops had left before we moved in, but there was plenty of US Army spirit in the air. That was long before I could afford my first Buick but boy, did I love this area.

Have a good day

Matt
Hi Matt,

We lived about 20km northeast of Kaiserslautern. In the 80s, there were plenty of US Air Force and a US Army servicemen stationed near there. It was a very pleasant, quiet area where we lived.

One some of our travels, we visited Munich, cross-country skied in the Black Forest, took a hang gliding course south of Munich in the foothills of the alps, enjoyed the area of Garmisch a couple of times, etc. Beautiful scenery all around there.

All the best,
Mike
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021   #17
We Gone

A bit late but Welcome.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021   #18
Matt B

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone View Post
A bit late but Welcome.
Thanks

Mike, I know there was a lot of US forces in Germany these days. I'm from the eastern part, GDR. Surrounded by Russians... I was a child back than, merely 14 year old. But I remember those big trucks and the Hummvee's. Not knowing what exactly that is I saw when we first took a day trip the "new world" but I was heavily impressed. US Army... Man, for a 14 year old GDR boy who grew up with the A-Team that was pretty much the coolest thing on earth!
Still today I pass by an old US Army ground near Bamberg sometimes and actually one of the places where I every now and then fix my car is on former US Army premises. Unfortunately it's all long gone, political reasons, whatever. But you can still smell some fading memories of a nice past. Personally I think it's a pity as I always loved the cultural influences.

Your experiences over here sound great and I'm really glad to hear to you could take so many nice memories from my area. As said, let me know whenever you come here. Lots to show you around - particularly if you bring your Z

Matt
ZR-1 #638/1991
Old 02-25-2021   #19
Matt B

So, my ZR-1 project progresses. I recently took out the seats to give them a proper makeover. Lumbar didn't work, only one chamber inside the right seat filled up with air. A quick check showed broken air hose connectors. An easy (and cheap) fix... Pump diaphragms and air chambers are good to go.
I cleaned all surfaces, switches and buttons and applied some leather coating. Just like new!

Once seats were out I decided to pull CDM and control head and send both for an overhaul. Not an easy job when you're 6 foot 3... Luckily I'm blessed with skinny hands and trained guitar player fingers. Looking forward to re-install both... not.

Then I swapped the murky brake fluid which had the distinct look of engine oil. OLD engine oil... Also a new drive belt and pulley came to use, replacing the 30 years old originals.
Engine Oil is drained, new Bosch filter (as per Marc's recommendation) installed. Also I tightened most oil pan screws - all of them rather lose - but could not reach to 3 or 4 located at the front. Refill will be done with a MOS2 oil that was made to replace high ZDDP oils.

Moreover I cleaned front control arms, shocks, brake calipers, etc. and gave a shot of fresh grease to all 6 linkages.

Last thing I just did today was to replace the likewise murky clutch fluid. I used a method I learned from YouTube: remove old fluid from the reservoir, wipe it clean, refill with fresh fluid and pump the clutch. However I'm not convinced this method does ANYTHING more than making sure you have fresh fluid in your reservoir... Doesn't seem very effective.

Tomorrow I will replace all spark plugs, P/S fluid, air filter, clean everything that between the rear wheels (brake calipers, disks, control arms, shocks, etc.), install a set of fresh wiper blades and the speedometer calibrator. Lots of work to be done... She's a real beauty, but not much (if any) work was done to her in the past.
ZR-1 #638/1991
Old 03-02-2021   #20
G-Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B View Post
Thanks

Mike, I know there was a lot of US forces in Germany these days. I'm from the eastern part, GDR. Surrounded by Russians... I was a child back than, merely 14 year old. But I remember those big trucks and the Hummvee's. Not knowing what exactly that is I saw when we first took a day trip the "new world" but I was heavily impressed. US Army... Man, for a 14 year old GDR boy who grew up with the A-Team that was pretty much the coolest thing on earth!
Still today I pass by an old US Army ground near Bamberg sometimes and actually one of the places where I every now and then fix my car is on former US Army premises. Unfortunately it's all long gone, political reasons, whatever. But you can still smell some fading memories of a nice past. Personally I think it's a pity as I always loved the cultural influences.

Your experiences over here sound great and I'm really glad to hear to you could take so many nice memories from my area. As said, let me know whenever you come here. Lots to show you around - particularly if you bring your Z

Matt
Hi Matt,

Very kind words. And thank you for the invite! I don't know when I'll get back to Germany, though I was there in late 2017 for a few days in the Koln area.

It's amazing - really miraculous in many ways - that the Berlin Wall came down when it did. And it's awesome so many gained freedoms they never had before. My wife and I traveled to Berlin when it was in the middle of the GDR. We got to visit both sides of the wall. A stark contrast. You really felt for the people on the other side.

It sounds like you're making good progress on the ZR-1. Changing all those fluids, cleaning things up, etc. I just took mine out for a spin today, now that all the salt has washed off the roads from recents heavy rains. It looks like we are on the edge of spring. Anyway, it's always a blast driving that machine. You have much to look forward to!

Keep us posted on your progress and when you get it rolling again.

cheers,
Mike
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote