ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-04-2024   #1
ZBrink

Default Re: Stranded on a road trip, '90 ZR-1, no crank

UPDATE: I had the car running in the garage while trying to tuck back some wires I had dangling still from pulling the HVAC Program Module. When moving around the wires, the car abruptly "turned off" just as it was doing while driving. So, I turned upside down and looked up around the wiring and saw this sorta "frayed" wire in the photo. Obviously I need to repair this wire but does anyone know off-hand what it powers/controls? I'm very admittedly not good with electrical but will try and look through the Electrical Supplement to the 1990 Service Manual.

Also, does "at'ing" people work in here like it does on the CorvetteForum? @Mikey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240401_114139.jpg (159.7 KB, 84 views)
ZBrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024   #2
Mikey

@-ing does not seem to do anything on this forum. I pretty much check it daily anyway so if you are trying to reach me it is not too hard lol Corvette form on the other hand I do not frequent nearly as much.

I cannot really tell from your photo where that set of wires is at. Also difficult to determine if that is part of the original harness that has a splice in it or if those wires are part of some sort of aftermarket, radio or other accessory install. Brown wire is typically a positive power feed wire on the accessory side of the ignition.

Good to know that you may have found a way to replicate the issue you were having. That harness repair should be relatively easy.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024   #3
ZBrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
@-ing does not seem to do anything on this forum. I pretty much check it daily anyway so if you are trying to reach me it is not too hard lol Corvette form on the other hand I do not frequent nearly as much.

I cannot really tell from your photo where that set of wires is at. Also difficult to determine if that is part of the original harness that has a splice in it or if those wires are part of some sort of aftermarket, radio or other accessory install. Brown wire is typically a positive power feed wire on the accessory side of the ignition.

Good to know that you may have found a way to replicate the issue you were having. That harness repair should be relatively easy.
Thanks for the quick reply Mike. I wanted to post an update vs contacting you directly so that everyone who was helping and interested was tracking. But, I was definitely hoping your electrical engineering skills would step in :-) That wiring harness appears factory and is underneath the steering column. I'll edit tonight or tomorrow with an additional photo to better display the location. I may need help making heads/tails of the wiring supplement.
1990 ZR-1 #299, Bright Red/Red
1998 Z51 Fastback Coupe, A4, Torch Red/Oak
ZBrink is offline   Reply With Quote