ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 04-04-2017   #1
Geronimo555

Default ZR-1 price variations?

I'm starting to look at ZR-1's, i'm seeing big price swings for cars that seem to be very similar in year, milage, and such. I would love to get a deal, but it scares the heck out of me to pick a money pit with such a potentially expensive engine.

What am I missing here?
Geronimo555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017   #2
Roadster

Default Re: ZR-1 price variations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo555 View Post
I'm starting to look at ZR-1's, i'm seeing big price swings for cars that seem to be very similar in year, milage, and such. I would love to get a deal, but it scares the heck out of me to pick a money pit with such a potentially expensive engine.

What am I missing here?
Your missing the opportunity to own a very unique piece of Corvette History, the LT5!!! You are at the right place to gather all of the info needed to make a very informative purchase if that is your goal.
But not just owning a LT5, but getting to know a great group of people who are willing to help in anyway they can, just about at anytime...
So with all of the info available to you, don't be scared about picking a money pit, the forum will help you go in the right direction....
And that's what you are missing!!! Good luck in your search, you won't regret it at all!!!

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017   #3
32valvesftw

Don't be misled by the asking prices you see on eBay. I have been tracking a number of ZR-1s on Ebay and many are not selling. Your best bet is buy a car from someone on this board, you will probably get a better car with mods for a better price.
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017   #4
Geronimo555

And that is why I am here....
Old 04-05-2017   #5
1LEZ

I agree that it would be best to buy one from someone here. You can make sure some of the necessary things have been done such as.. Injectors, clutch slave and master cylinders and fluids. Transmission and diff fluids. Possibly coils. These are great cars but they are approaching 30.
1LEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017   #6
AnthonyGS

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one right now. They are a bargain. I wouldn't worry about the engine much either as they are amazingly durable. Having everything's g operating at optimum can take a little work but the help here makes it easier. The real weakness these cars have are the usual C4 corvette issues. I think my car had most of them and I'm still ironing a few out. My one real dislike about the car is the loud howl of the ZF and that's being nitpick. I finally joined the registry as this is a car I will never sell or trade. I'm considering trading my C3 for another one right now.
AnthonyGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017   #7
JThomas

It's really no different than buying any other used car. Decide on what you want, find it, and inspect it as thoroughly as possible. Use the people on this forum to educate yourself about the car. Ask the owner about documentation, maintenance, and the vehicle's use. Major things will stand out, but expect to repair minor issues, especially on a 22-27 year old car. As far as pricing goes, it's worth what YOU are willing to pay. Set your goals and stick to them. Sometimes the fun is in the hunt and the satisfaction is in the achievement of a job well done.
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium

Last edited by JThomas; 04-05-2017 at 09:46 AM.
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017   #8
Geronimo555

With luck and some work on my part, I hope to get one before June, it would be nice to display it for the GM design center employee car show.
Old 04-05-2017   #9
Vette73

I agree with the former post about fluctuating prices on eBay....I walk around all day with a work I pad so I too have been following pricing on these cars for years....

Most low mileage ZR-1s I see on eBay are priced high just for the fact of the low miles.....If I were to go to a dealer and look at a ZR-1 I would give the dealership the old story about " nobody wants to work on them" " nobody wants a C-4 anymore" phrases like that.....Many dealerships know nothing about the LT-5, they just know the badging on the car......If you see a real nice one at a dealership check it out and stick to a price......Most dealerships will probably say no but leave your number with your offer.....Many stories about ZR-1 purchases just like that where the dealership agreed on price because they wanted the car to move....

With all that, if you can hook up with a member selling one you would probably be ahead of the game.....Many are well kept and up to date, at least the ones that I see.....
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017   #10
Helium3

You'll have a much higher probability of success buying from a forum member. Getting one from a dealership, or even a 3rd party corner lot could give you unforeseen issues. Many of the maintenance issues reside from ethanol corrosion, vacuum leaks, fueling or emissions. Half of my Vettes are pushrod the others are LT5 powered. Truth be told maintenance on these is definitely higher. At times it feels like a Ferrari with a crossed flags lol. Most I ever had to fix on a LT4 or LS engine was 1-2 coil packs or distributor and some bad spark plugs.

In my opinion these cars were Chevrolet's own Countach or Testarossa of the day. Forged bottom end, near 8000rpm redline, Nikasil Liners, similar horsepower levels, wide rear end and tires. Admittedly the Countach had 345s on the back. Maybe one day we'll see 345's on the back of a Vette from the factory. Zora? Took Chevy years to put forged components back into a Vette. Nikasil Liners, probably never see those in a Vette again.

If you don't mind a aftermarket radio head unit (Pioneer) I have a 91 Torch Red with Ruby interior and 72k miles with everything working and bone stock with satin silver a-molds.
Helium3 is offline   Reply With Quote