ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-16-2024   #1
ZBrink

Default UPDATE, Home now!; Stranded on a road trip, '90 ZR-1, no crank

I got stranded at a gas station 2k from home in northern Arizona. Just bought this '90 on Friday. Have started it 15+ times no issues. Got back in it after filling up with fuel and the starter isn't making any cranking sound. I enlisted some strangers to try to help me push start it, not sure if I did it right, but it didn't start that way either.

Anyone good at troubleshooting something like this?

Zack: 217-725-7760 Feel free to call if you're good at this and willing! I'm alone, 2k miles from home, currently in Flagstaff.

EDIT 1) It has battery power, the headlights, HVAC control and radio all power on. When I turn the key to On, I hear a humming so I assume that's the fuel pump working? Not sure if relevant but the cluster itself does nothing when I turn the key to On.

EDIT 2) I was able to push start it in 2nd with some kind strangers help. Engine would seemingly and randomly die which make me think fuel as well. But, why no crank if it's a fuel issue? Was able to drive it 60 miles to a hotel. It cutout once at highway speed, I shifted into a lower gear and it fired right back up, at speed. Not sure if relevant/related, the gauge cluster goes out when the engine dies but the rest of the dash has full power. The no crank is my biggest worry in getting it home as I won't always have people able and willing to help me push start.

EDIT 3) Anyone know how to bypass VATS on the fly with generic parts I can get at an auto parts or hardware store on a Sunday? I was going to try and get some wire and clips to bypass the clutch switch as well. The Security light is flashing but maybe it stays solid or comes on when the engine cuts out and I'm just seeing it happen in that split second?

EDIT 4) It started right up late this morning but it has cut out on me twice while driving at highway speed and both times I was able to get it running again while still at speed. Is this related to my no crank issue or a separate issue?

EDIT 5) I want to give a shout out to the two Daves and Mike for calling and advising me over the phone with their time and expertise. So much appreciated! The issue has not be diagnosed or solved as of yet but the car has been starting and I'm still pressing east, in Oklahoma City for the night. The car is going to need numerous repairs/maintenance items tackled but this is definitely at the top of the list.

Last edited by ZBrink; 03-21-2024 at 11:48 AM.
ZBrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024   #2
Mikey

Default Re: Stranded on a road trip, '90 ZR-1, no crank

Air fuel spark. And rpm to start. If not getting anything spinning when trying to start then starter is suspect or could be the clutch switch. You can jumper the latter.
Also can try the ol tap on the starter trick while someone turns the key. Need a stick or rod of sorts to poke under intake from the rear area.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024   #3
ZBrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Air fuel spark. And rpm to start. If not getting anything spinning when trying to start then starter is suspect or could be the clutch switch. You can jumper the latter.
Also can try the ol tap on the starter trick while someone turns the key. Need a stick or rod of sorts to poke under intake from the rear area.
No alligator clips but I believe I got good contact with the clutch switch trying to jump it with a spare wire. It did not crank. I found a paint mixing rod and was able to reach the starter through the plenum and tap on it with a hammer. Still did not crank.

Is there a starter relay or fuse which affects the starter?

Also, dumb question, does the brake pedal have to be pressed as well or just the clutch to crank?
Old 03-17-2024   #4
ZBrink

We were able to push start it and get it running but it inevitably just dies. We let it idle in the parking lot for 15 minutes the first time and then it died. I tried driving it up and down the street near the gas station where I originally got stranded, and it just died while driving.

I can't tell if these are two separate problems? Two different times, we were able to get it to crank by rocking the car while in gear. Something I noticed that I'm not sure if his related, the gauge cluster lights flutter and then go out right when the engine dies.
Old 03-17-2024   #5
efnfast

Dead battery? Because of a bad alternator?
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024   #6
garyhugo

Dreaded no start on many 90-92. Technical postings, Sticky solutions under general has several good postings on how to diagnose and repair this situation. Good luck. Many of us have gone through this.
Old 03-17-2024   #7
ZBrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
Dead battery? Because of a bad alternator?
I don't believe so. We got it running via push start again. It seemed as long as I kept the RPMs up, it stayed running. I drove 60 miles or to a hotel in Flagstaff. It died at about the 55 mile mark but I was at speed, shifted in a lower gear, and it fired up again. Unsure if relevant/related, the gauge cluster goes out when the car dies?
Old 03-17-2024   #8
ZBrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhugo View Post
Dreaded no start on many 90-92. Technical postings, Sticky solutions under general has several good postings on how to diagnose and repair this situation. Good luck. Many of us have gone through this.
Unfortunately I'm alone without any substantive tools, 2k miles from home trying to go through all of this by myself on the fly. This is my first ZR-1 and I've owned it for 48 hours. If anyone knowledgeable would be willing to speak with me on the phone on a Sunday, that would be most helpful. I've been a Corvette Forum member for over 20 years under the same name.
Old 03-17-2024   #9
mrmojo1111

Hey man. Fellow Springfield, IL 90Z owner here. I'm also facing the dreaded DNS, but, thankfully I'm in my garage. Feel free to call me at 31nine 54one 4one30.

1990 #2085
Red/Grey
mrmojo1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024   #10
dredgeguy

Possible fuel pump clip came off hose?

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa