ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2014   #22
Hog

Default Re: About to use my Tech 1a for the first time, pointers? ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
I never realized that about the 94/95 Corvettes ... is that a Corvette thing only? ---
I dont believe the 95-95 being referred to as OBD1.5 is an "official" designation. I often see it referred to as such because of flash PCM's that many GM vehicles picked up in 94-95, but still hadnt adopted certain OBD2 protocols such as catalyst monitoring(after cat O2 sensor) or Misfire detection which uses a crankshaft position sensor to measure minute off-nominal crankshaft accelerations which are caused by a misfiring cylinder.

The misfire detection really comes down to catalyst protection as well, as a misfiring cylinder is potentially dumping excessive hydrocarbons into the cat(s), which will decrease catalyst efficiency and lifespan.

I do know that some of the 94-95 S-10 trucks, LT1 F-bodies and IIRC the 94 or 95 Y-bodies as well.

Tuning software between the OBD 1.5" and OBD 2 is slightly different, which is where I usually see the 1.5 to OBD 2 differentiation.

I worked on a GM assembly line in 1996 and 100% everything was OBD full flashable PCM memory. I worked beside the guy that, scanned the vehicles VIN from the buildsheet "rider"(a pice of paper that is tyaped to teh hood and "rides" the vehicle down the assembly line. After scanning the VIN, he hooked his computer up to the OBD2 port and then "flashed" the PCM with its calibration. Then his computer would run diagnostics on the PCM and other systems. This is where the term Assembly Line Diagnostic Link or ALDL originated.
As far as assembly line work went, his job certainly was preferred.

Here is verification about the 94-95 using the OBD2 port, but being wired differently than a conventional 1996+ OBD 2 connector.

The OBDI LT1 Tuning Kits are complete packages with everything you need to tune your 1994/1995 LT1 car. They allow you to read the calibration information currently stored in the car's computer, view and edit this information as needed and then program the car's computer with the modified calibration.
NOTE: While the -2 and -Y kits include cables that mate with the OBD2 style 16-pin ALDL connector, these kits do not support the 1996 - 97 LT1 cars which are OBDII vehicles. To tune these vehicles you'll need our OBDII Tuner program.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494

Last edited by Hog; 09-12-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote