ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-09-2022   #1
evl_twn

Default Plenum pull scope creep

I've got a 94 with just over 40k miles on it, had a no start happen for the first time last week so I ordered a new (I'm guessing reman) AC Delco starter. It showed up today, waiting on Jerry to get back to the shop before ordering the plenum gaskets.

Here's the question/dilemma: I haven't had the plenum off this engine since I bought the car back in 2006, and that was mostly just to tidy up a few things and remove the "power plates". Not sure if those really add any performance or not, but they were installed with no gaskets so off they came and gaskets went back in place. I still have them but I doubt I'll put them back on.

What else would be prudent to take care of while the plenum is off? I've been scouring the forum and I think it's time for new plugs/wires anyway, probably get the IT20TT plugs and a new set of wires as well since they're now over 28 years old. Looks like AC Delco wires are still available, but I've also seen a set from NGK that look decent. Blue in color, but that's not a big turnoff for me (car is yellow so it's not like the plug wires match anything anyway ) Should I plan on replacing the coils as well? I'll probably keep the original wires since they still work and still have the Corvette/LT-5 markings.

I've seen a lot of posts recommending injector replacement but that's mostly for the early years? The car seems to run fine.

I found Roadster's thread that started with throttle body removal and expanded from there, saw his post about the 90 degree 1/4" rubber fittings so I'll get a set of those before the plenum pull too "just in case". Would it be a good idea to replace the throttle body and air horn gaskets, or just leave them alone? Roadster's thread has me convinced to NOT clean the throttle body and risk issues with the DAG.

Planning on replacing coolant anyway, so that's one more job to do at the same time. Would you recommend the throttle body bypass line from Marc? I already have the metal hoops from Marc for the intake boot.

Thanks for any advice, I'm still in planning stage now so there's a bit of time if I need to get other parts coming. Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks!
evl_twn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022   #2
XfireZ51

Default Re: Plenum pull scope creep

Welcome to Wonderland Alice. Get ready to jump down the rabbit hole.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022   #3
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

I've done 'bout everything 'cept port the TB and sleeve the cylinders and camming to my 5.7L LT5 including removing the secondaries, but have never heard of anything referred to as "power plates". What is/are they?

Bypassing the TB coolant path is a legit trick: Coolant by-pass does reduce intake heat a teeny bit. As Dom said, welcome to the "rabbit hole" of the quest for eking out performance tricks. (I plugged my TB coolant (as well) over a decade ago and never had a moment's regret - tho I can't point to an isolated 'before n after' result to justify it specifically. But, combined with a number of tricks (porting by far having the most significant effect), they all add up!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022   #4
evl_twn

From what I remember, the Power Plates were made by AO Engineering. I might still have the original instructions somewhere with all the paperwork I got with the car when I bought it. These were installed some time between 1995 and 1998.

I'm attaching a couple of pics, but they look like some sort of phenolic resin type insulator that was intended to mitigate the heat soak into the plenum. I read a long time ago some people had hood clearance issues with these and I do see some marks on the underside of my hood from the ribs of the intake boot. It doesn't look like there were any other clearance problems.They're just under 5mm thick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0873.jpg (114.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0874.jpg (110.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 07-10-2022   #5
evl_twn

If the Power Plates actually make a difference and aren't just snake oil, I might be tempted to put them back on (but probably WITH gaskets this time ) but since I already have some scuffs on the hood I wonder if the silicone intake boot Jerry's sells would clear better than the stock one?
Old 07-10-2022   #6
tokuzumi

Probably just need to have the injectors cleaned and flow tested. If they are good to go, put the existing ones back in.
tokuzumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022   #7
JG95ZR1

Go with the AC delco wires, I bough a set of the NGK for the color but the top of the boot has clear silicone on them and they look home made. Check the pcv tubes and make sure your getting a tight fit at all the rubber fittings. I really like the replacement silicone pcv tubes for our cars.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
JG95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022   #8
tokuzumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG95ZR1 View Post
Go with the AC delco wires, I bough a set of the NGK for the color but the top of the boot has clear silicone on them and they look home made. Check the pcv tubes and make sure your getting a tight fit at all the rubber fittings. I really like the replacement silicone pcv tubes for our cars.

Maybe your NGK wires were a return?
tokuzumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022   #9
JG95ZR1

Nope I bought two sets, both the same. They worked fine I used one set so far.67673756390__9FCACBAC-03D3-4033-9C64-7FE07A1EFD8D.jpg

JG95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022   #10
evl_twn

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I ended up with no issues during the plenum pull. There was a lot of cleanup under the plenum that was necessary. Cleaned up all of the coils, put the new starter, plugs and wires on then started checking all of the vacuum lines for leaks/deterioration. The only issue I saw was a split in the line that goes from the rear of the plenum to the MAP sensor, replaced it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0880.jpg (186.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0881.jpg (164.0 KB, 45 views)