ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Prototypes

Old 12-01-2010   #11
1989ZR1#74

Default Re: Update on ZR-32's lineage.

Some documents have surfaced that show that EX5009 P8Y082 was an active suspension prototype so it was most likely not the donar car. The donar car pictured above didn't have any of the active bits. So If it was Dark Orange then it must be EX5024/P8Y095.
1989 ZR-1 #04 Pilot, Advertising/PR Campbell-Ewald S9YKH1
1989 ZR-1 #58 LT5 only
1989 ZR-1 #74 Unreleased Production / PR Dept 9PR110
NCRS #3,182 SACC #2,420
Member Corvette Museum
Corvette Forum: "ewjxn"
2009, 2010 Gathering Attendee
1989ZR1#74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #12
Blue Flame Restorations

Good detective work, Eric.
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #13
POWERBRAKEBOB

I have the wheels off of Serial no. 55 car installed on my 1991 ZR-1, ser. no 334. I painted the slots Turquoise Metallic to match my car, one of the 92 such cars. The casting date on all 4 wheels is 2/1/88. When I saw no. 55, it was stripped to the bone. The remaining parts, such as the brake pedal, thermostat housing, and every part I could see had special tags on them. It also had a degree wheel from the front balancer laying on the floor.
I was sure that the 32 had the engine out of that car, but not super sure. I was at SEMA when Lombardo presented the drawing to Chevrolet for the concept of the 32. Lombardo had another engine there in a crate that had been sent back to Mercury Marine to have the crankshaft machined larger for an automatic torque converter. Art Carr had done an automatic conversion in a ZR-1, but just cut the converter hub down.
I don't remember the serial no. of the purple car, but it might have been no. 3, since he had that car. I have photos of No. 3 next to my 66 427 roadster
POWERBRAKEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #14
Tyler Townsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989ZR1#74 View Post
Some documents have surfaced that show that EX5009 P8Y082 was an active suspension prototype so it was most likely not the donar car. The donar car pictured above didn't have any of the active bits. So If it was Dark Orange then it must be EX5024/P8Y095.

My build sheet shows no active bits when it was built. Any active bits had to be retrofitted.

Tyler
68 Torch Red
88 ZR1 Blue
90 ZR1 White
Tyler Townsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #15
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERBRAKEBOB View Post
I have the wheels off of Serial no. 55 car installed on my 1991 ZR-1, ser. no 334. I painted the slots Turquoise Metallic to match my car, one of the 92 such cars. The casting date on all 4 wheels is 2/1/88. When I saw no. 55, it was stripped to the bone. The remaining parts, such as the brake pedal, thermostat housing, and every part I could see had special tags on them. It also had a degree wheel from the front balancer laying on the floor.
I was sure that the 32 had the engine out of that car, but not super sure. I was at SEMA when Lombardo presented the drawing to Chevrolet for the concept of the 32. Lombardo had another engine there in a crate that had been sent back to Mercury Marine to have the crankshaft machined larger for an automatic torque converter. Art Carr had done an automatic conversion in a ZR-1, but just cut the converter hub down.
I don't remember the serial no. of the purple car, but it might have been no. 3, since he had that car. I have photos of No. 3 next to my 66 427 roadster
Hey Bob,glad to see you made it over.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #16
Tyler Townsley

See posts in prototype section, the mockup drive train came from P8Y084 EX5011. Note my original title says P8Y083 which is wrong.

Tyler
68 Torch Red
88 ZR1 Blue
90 ZR1 White
Tyler Townsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #17
JP_32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989ZR1#74 View Post
Upon further reviewing this picture and comparing it to the build sheet for #055 I determined that that could not possibly be true. In fact I thought the Z was DRM, but when you really look at the color you will realize it has more of an Orange appearance. That coupled with the apparent lack of "Corvette" on the cam covers and the smooth white expansion tank lead me to believe that this was in fact an 88 prototype. Most likely The Dark Orange EX5009 or EX5024.
You are right.

Hello, My name is John, This is an interesting discovery for me, as I was employed at CSR at the time, and worked together with Woody Gilmore on this project from concept to completion.

The car was in fact mocked up with the engine driveline and suspension removed from the car you have pictured which was a 1988 Prototype Mule car that was destined to be destroyed by GM. I stripped that Mule car of everything we needed from it. After which the chassis had to be returned to Detroit for destruction. I am pretty sure I've still got the Keys to that car kicking around somewhere.

The ZR-32 "give away car" project was intended to debut with the ZR-1, it took about 10 months to complete and was finished in November of 1989 for the SEMA Show in Las Vegas.

The car was in fact mocked up from the Mule car donor parts, but before final assembly a new production engine and transmission was delivered in the crate. The car was custom wired and when it was time to start it GM designed a custom prom tailored for the ZR-32. Just before the car was completed GM also delivered #74 which was painted to match and displayed together with the ZR-32. Chuck Sr. drove the purple ZR-1 for about a year before I believe it was returned to GM. As originally intended the ZR-32 was given away as a prize at the NSRA Street Rod Nationals.

The Mule car engine went into storage and I don't know where it ever ended up.

I have many pictures which I took of the project as Woody and I built it, and a couple of #74 I will post some as soon as I can.

PS. Yes CSR did build a clone of the ZZ Top Eliminator Coupe but that is the original steel Coupe built by Buffalo Motorcars in the background. It possibly could have been me working on that car also at the time of the photo. It was normally kept in the front showroom at the time.
JP_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #18
Blue Flame Restorations

Thanks so much for posting. Excellent info!

Tyler Townsley bought the motor from the mule car two yrs ago. He also bough the wheels and original tires and gave them to me. Tyler and I both own 1988 wide bodied King Of The Hill Prototypes. The only two in existence.

Brett Henderson
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #19
JP_32

I can post more later if desired but below is the remains of the donor mule car after it was stripped.

Below is the finished car on display with the ZR-1 at the shop when we held a press opening prior to the SEMA Show.

I have many more construction photos I can post as time permits.

Cheers JP
Old 03-29-2013   #20
JP_32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame Restorations View Post
He also bough the wheels and original tires and gave them to me.
You're kidding. These Wheels? That's amazing. In this picture just for the fun of it I mounted the corvette rims to see how it would look. I really liked the look of those wheels, but BF Goodrich was supplying our tires and they did not make a 17" tire at the time, so we ended up machining our own 15" billet wheels in the same pattern to accommodate. though I really wish we could have used those original wheels.

Last edited by JP_32; 03-29-2013 at 02:15 AM.