ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-14-2014   #1
Mitsumark

Default 368 LT5 Drinking oil

Ahh..As if I haven't had enough problems this week with a busted pipe in my house,my wife falling,,now my Z is drinking oil..Literally..Here's what's going on.Hopefully one of you LT5 pros could shed some light on what may be happening..My car is a 91 and has a Vette Doctors built 368 with all the other goodies(headers,flywheel,gears,Marc H tune,ect)The car has also had a very recent service including coils,FIC stainless injectors,plugs,fuel filter,and Jerry's new PCV hose assembly along with new PCV valves..About 2 weeks ago I noticed a trail of Blue taillight smoke under medium/moderate acceleration..Yesterday I'm warming up the car and noticed it is smoking lightly out of the tailpipes just idling.It seems to come and go..However the car has drank 2 qrts of Mobil 1 in the last 300 miles..It is absolutely oil as the oil light came on,the smoke is clearly Blue and it stinks to high heaven.If I blip the gas quickly 3-4 times back to back the smoke becomes heavier and heavier until I stop..I haven't checked compression but I am suspecting a burnt exhaust valve..It idles a bit rough, although it always did..If I hammer it in any gear it doesn't miss a beat.It pulls very strong..There are no CEL light on and the secondaries seem to be working fine..The car also starts without smoke cold..This progresses as it gets hot.So far I've checked for vac leaks and found nothing..I also double checked the PCV valves and there is plenty of suction present while idling.I removed the oil cap and oil dipstick to see if there was any blowby present and there was non that I can see..There are also no external oil leaks as I've checked thourally..This is definitely tailpipe smoke..So what I have is an LT5 with a working PCV system and it's dumping oil into the combustion chamber..Is there any specific entry points I can check before I start suspecting valves or rings?I did drive through a few heavy misfires a few weeks ago when it had a suspect bad coil..Maybe I hurt it then?Help me guys..
Mitsumark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #2
Kevin

Default Re: 368 LT5 Drinking oil

the fact that it's a vette docs car makes me think you're in for a rebuild.
Old 01-14-2014   #3
Mitsumark

Thats encouraging lol..I forgot to mention it has new 02 sensors and there is no oil visible anywhere around the header flanges..
Old 01-14-2014   #4
USAZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
the fact that it's a vette docs car makes me think you're in for a rebuild.
I never had any problems with my 90 that Carmen and Dennis built.
1994 ZR-1 White/Red #152 (sold)
1991 ZR-1 Callaway Aerobody #1332 (sold)
1990 ZR-1 Red/Red #952 (sold)
2002 Z06 Torch Red/Mod Red widebody
USAZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #5
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAZR1 View Post
I never had any problems with my 90 that Carmen and Dennis built.
I'm pretty sure Carmen and dennis didn't build your car.
Old 01-14-2014   #6
Mitsumark

I wouldn't think of blaming or slamming the builder either as this car was built in 02 and has logged plenty of racetrack miles trouble free..Awhile back I was running a cooler plug that resulted in very poor gas mileage..I also had a bad coil.. I full throttled it a few times to see if I can drive it through the hiccup.Im suspecting that's when I hurt it..Probably lots of carbon buildup from idling and too cold a plug,plus the bad coil..Im not an LT5 expert by no means. Haven't even wrenched in years..I'm just thinking its valve related.As I'm typing,I'm remembering more..The car idles terrible when it's ice cold and it smells like raw fuel being dumped into the exhaust..The idle smooths out quite a bit as it warms but that's when the smoke starts..
Old 01-14-2014   #7
LGAFF

Does your car have bigger cams?
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #8
Mitsumark

The original Vette Doc build sheet and receipt states "intake cams"..Don't have specifics on lift/duration but the smoke is definitely recent.
Old 01-14-2014   #9
GOLDCYLON

Rings and guides sounds right. You should not be going through that much oil. Any oild catching on the cross member and the usual places?
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #10
LGAFF

Sure its oil and not just running rich? At cold temps you need a lot more fuel, especially with big cams......to get the car to run....air and fuel will not bond well. Might check your PCV, etc to make sure its not pressurizing the pan
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote