ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-18-2013   #11
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: So...How much does it cost to build a 380 cube ZR1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrrem View Post
If your doing an offset grind on the crank you have to go longer rods, don't you?
Rich

No and stock Rods are fine as they are pretty beefy. This is the biggest bang for the buck before you start getting into the bigger stroker dollars
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #12
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
DIY for probably 3-4K

probably closer to 4 with the liner cost

If you have the skillsets, tools, time maybe....
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 09-18-2013 at 08:46 AM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #13
LGAFF

Got the original motor from my 90, it will be either a 368 or a 380...so I guess I will find out
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #14
alnukem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
No and stock Rods are fine as they are pretty beefy. This is the biggest bang for the buck before you start getting into the bigger stroker dollars
What type of bearing do you have to run???? Is it a adaptor bearing & then your normal bearings???? It would have to pretty thick?
alnukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #15
Polo-1

It's up to you which way you want to run them. Google small journal to large journal SBC for the many bearings or bearing spacers out there. 2.000 to 2.125 sbc.
Polo-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #16
alnukem

Thought we should conclude this thread for people that might be looking to rebuild or increase their displacement.

From Polo-1;

A 380ci should be in the 475rwhp 430rwtq range. Better porting, intake cams...
I would think you could hit 500-515rwhp without too much problems.

Stock cranks have been offset ground forever. Most grinds are .100 as the normal cut. The LT5 offset started with Mike Ebert's 396ci motors, I think. The crank guy I used said it has a ton of meat in it and is a high quality unit. I went with 3.750 (3.66 stock) It looks like it can be pushed out 3.775 without any problems. The SBC small journal bearings come in .001 - .030 under size, so thats not a problem.

Like I have said before, I have done the MEGA $$$ 402ci build. If it were for me or anyone else, go for the 380 it's only a few hundred over the 368 build.

From Paul Workman;

All very intoxicating, I must say. (Y'all got me starting to drool over a 380 w/ some cams now...)

I ran some numbers based on rwhp/cid for fully ported350s w/intake cams for those of us with "mortal" 350s (est. 450 rwhp) and Pete's insane 474 rwhp 350. For a 380 ci the proportions work out to between 489 rwhp (w/cams) for us "normal" peeps, to 515 rwhp for a setup like Pete's. (He says he keeps the magic formula burried in a Mason jar in his backyard. Maybe that explains why there's so many little pot holes in his back yard...Spoze?)

Anywayz... north of 480 rwhp would make for a lot of low 11-sec LT5s when the team ZR-1 Net Registry makes a run on the club trophy next fall! (But, unless I win the lottery, I'll just have to be happy with my 500+hp, Nikasil 350 (oh, the horror!)

Fun topic!

P.

From GOLDCYLON;

380 bottom end with full top end porting including the heads and Long tube headers and petes cams = the biggest bang for the buck.
Old 09-23-2013   #17
alnukem

Here is a incomplete tally of cost that I think I know? If any body has better numbers or wants to fill in the blanks, they should.

CNC Porting Heads 3000
LA Sleeves 1200
Oliver Rods 1200
Porting IH 1700
Offset grinding crank 300
Pete's Cams 1795
Lifters 500

Subtotal 9695

Pistons
Bearings
Machine Work
Assembly
Haliback Head Gasket 334

Of course, if your starting "stock", it doesn't include the headers.
Old 09-23-2013   #18
rkreigh

390 ci from LPE with full boogie treatment ($36k)

380 CI from Haibeck or other sources with full boogie treatment (less than half of $36k)

HP at tires. the same

technology marches on. the 380 will have a great rod angle, be MUCH cheaper to build.

stirr in some TI rods for fun (they are cheaper now than when LPE put then in the LSV no too) still way cheaper than 36k

wonder if the LS7 rods could work, they are likely some "take out" rods around and they are good to about 700 hp

sorry, but 4500 for a crank is ferrari prices. top fuel cranks are cheaper than that but it's all in the volume

we tried to get a "group buy" on stroker cranks. good luck. there are probably about 30 415s in the world

like to get a "registry" of the ZR-1 aftermarket builds. that would be pretty cool.

with pete putting down about 500 at the tire with a stock block, I honestly don't think a 415 is worth it anymore

you can go big cubes and you'll just choke it off with the limited flow capacity of the heads and make a bit more torque but not much more HP relative to the big $$$

what we need a new billet head with a bigger cam sprocket and turn up the flow. a stock LS LS7 head flows 370 cfm. that's a dream for a LT5 head. good heads flow around 330 cfm, with the "new builds" doing better

but we do have a HUGE advantage is flow velocity and turbulence and much better combustion chamber design. I think a big bore relatively short stroke engine is the way to go.

don't even need more displacement, just more flow, better cam timing, and nikasil coating on the ductile liners and a very free flowing head.

the factory knows a thing or two about building engines. lowering the friction is huge. the lt5 have direct acting cams which create quite a bit of friction even though the direct acting cams are very nice. look at the modern DOHC engines, they have roller cam followers with a fulcrum lever to cut friction. a modern LT5 head would do wonders. and hell, let's put some deck plates on it and make it a 6 bolt design while were at it.

nelson sure could do it, but so could others. I see billet heads whittled all the time even for lowly BB chevies. love to see this done for the LT5

then we can go kick so LS @SS in the meantime, not so much

getting 500 rwhp out of an LS7 is a cakewalk. on an LT5, it takes pete!!!

kudos to that young man, Pete and Marc have "scienced and engineered" the LT5 to keep it viable and competative. and it's such a great engine,it deserves the love. I still favor the ZR-1 over my "faster and more powerful" hardware. as I get older, the "intangibles" like sound, feel, throttle response, and looks start to matter more than the numbers

it's all in how much you "enjoy the ride"

in the end, that's what matters most. the ZR-1 is a faithful mistress, seductive, powerful, and sexy. and the song she sings is from a siren that calls to the masses.

I went to a car show yesterday and quite a few folks had never seen a ZR-1. all of them commented, what a beautiful car and wow does it sound great. the old LSV when it clears it's throat still roars like a mighty lion.

the CCW 505 rims are still for sale, just not the tires. they are toast. I baked them off in honor of some cool fall air. the LT5 quickly "dispatched" with the hideous run flats and I will gladly light them up in the back yard and dance around them as they burn. runcraps are just not for me.

need to get those 18' ccw 505s so I can get back to the toyo RA1s I have on the turbo car. they work well and I have a spare set of 335s just dying to get roasted. use em up before they get old

what a great weekend to crooze the ZR-1. fyi, bob arnold will be selling has LPE stroker. he has a spare engine too. I'll try to get it up on the registry and keep you all posted when it hits ebay.

it's the "sister" car to mine. not quite a powerful, but very nice. he has 82k on it. I'm going to catch him this month and pass

sooooo......... who out there has more than 82k on their stroker LT5???

raise your hand!! cause you "get it"

drive that beeotch like you robbed the nearest bank and are going across state lines.

the LT5 is a masochist, and enjoys the beatings. the engine is an anvil, and I'm trying to wear it out, and it's a job I truely love.

Last edited by rkreigh; 09-23-2013 at 07:14 AM.
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #19
Scrrem

This is great information, please keep it coming. I got my new motor on the stand last weekend and started getting her apart.
Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (173.1 KB, 19 views)
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #20
rkreigh

hey, are you going up to Wazzoo maint day? I'm going to try and make it.

let's caravan up if you are going. thinking of going to Katie's first and heading on up from there.

you up for it? thanks.
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3.775, 380, cams, sleeves, stroker