ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-28-2018   #41
George Maz

Default Re: Jim and Lyndi's 2018 ZR-1 Road Trip to Glacier NP, Western Canada and the Rocky M

Watch "Corvette C4 USA Road Trip" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/g04u599HXos

...kinda fits the mood, these roadtrips are just about the coolest thing to do. Thanks for sharing Jim.
1990 ZR-1 #1587
1990 ZR-1 #1727
George Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018   #42
WARP TEN

Default Re: Jim and Lyndi's 2018 ZR-1 Road Trip to Glacier NP, Western Canada and the Rocky M

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Bob, let me know how the A-C-D museum is.. it is on my list of places

Gillmore Museum is another good one to go to
Jeff, as Dennis says, I am told it is definitely worth a trip. It is only about 4 hours or so out of Chicago. It's the last stop on our trip. We're planning to arrive nearby the night before, have a nice dinner, tour the museum in the morning then head on home that day. But I will let you know my thoughts after we go. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018   #43
WARP TEN

Jim, out of curiosity, how many hours to you spend driving each day? I'm setting my trip for roughly 4 to 6-1/2 hours of driving each day but with far fewer stops that you seem able to accomplish. We will try to stop whenever we see something interesting. But as this is a 7 day trip we do have to get to destinations each night. Anyway, enjoy yours. Great to hear about it as you go.--Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018   #44
Hog

Great trip thus far, gotta be a blast to do it in a ZR-1. My 57 can get about 18mpg if I hold 70-75mph with the 283/Poweglide./3.36:1 combo that revs 2750-3000rpm cruise rpm.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018   #45
QB93Z

Hello All. We just arrived in Christina Lake, BC after 4 days in Glacier National Park with no WIFI or cell phone service in the park or the lodges we stayed in.

I will be posting our progress to date as it actually happened to maintain the feel of the trip.

More soon...…

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018   #46
QB93Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
Jim, out of curiosity, how many hours to you spend driving each day? I'm setting my trip for roughly 4 to 6-1/2 hours of driving each day but with far fewer stops that you seem able to accomplish. We will try to stop whenever we see something interesting. But as this is a 7 day trip we do have to get to destinations each night. Anyway, enjoy yours. Great to hear about it as you go.--Bob

Hi Bob, On this Road Trip, we have reduced our miles-per-day so we can see more sights and not get so tired. Between home and Glacier NP we did about 350-400 miles a day, which is 5.5 to 6 hours of driving each day.

We get up early and are very organized so that we are in the Z and rolling by 7:00 am. That way we can get to our destination by 2 pm and sight see when attractions are still open OR we can stop at intermediate attractions and spend 4 hours sight-seeing.

After we get to Victoria, BC we will drive about 200 miles a day to get even more time to look around.

I am sorry that we will miss you at Falling Water. We have talked about visiting there again. It is not too far from us.

Have a good trip,

Jim
Old 06-29-2018   #47
QB93Z

Day 7 - We left Harve, MT and drove west on US-2 across Montana, headed for Glacier National Park.

The landscape of western Montana is a combination of flat agricultural land and hilly prairie. As always we like the productive farms that we passed. This farm has canola and wheat in production:

In Shelby, MT, we were confronted by a flooded intersection directly in the underpass we needed to use to stay on US-2. Shelby is not a very big town and there were no side roads that we could use to go around the intersection. We had to drive about 5 miles north on I-15, then U-turned to get back on US-2:

In Cut Bank, MT, we couldn't resist a photo with the Penguin proclaiming Cut Bank as the "Coldest spot in the nation":

I do not know if this is true. The peak of Mount Washington in New Hampshire makes the claim of having the coldest temperature in the country.

We always like to see trains hauling freight and keeping the nation moving. Here is a nice BNSF locomotive pair with a consist of grain cars with the Rocky Mountains in the background:

to be continued.....
Old 06-29-2018   #48
QB93Z

To Glacier National Park (continued)

We entered Glacier NP from the east side and planned to stay at Many Glacier Hotel on the Swift Current Lake. The road from Babb, MT to the Park Entrance is in need or repair. There are numerous pot holes and damaged areas. We did make it to the park, but it was slow going.

The road follows a reservoir that feeds the Milk River:

We made it to the park entrance and posed the Purple Z in front of the park sign:

Lyndi and I posed in Glacier NP, with the Swift Current River in the background:

Jim
Old 06-29-2018   #49
QB93Z

For the first two days at Glacier National Park, we stayed at the Many Glacier Hotel, one of the three original lodges that were built in what was to become the national park. The lodge was built more than 100 years ago and refurbished last year. The lodge is one of the nicest hotel experiences we have had.

Here is the Purple Z in front of the lodge. Our room was in the wing on the left in this picture. We were in a corner room facing the lake and mountains:

After we checked in, we hiked up stream from the lake to Red Rock Falls:

Jim
Old 06-29-2018   #50
QB93Z

Here is a view of the Many Glacier Hotel from across Swift Current Lake. I am pointing to our room:

In the evening, we sat in the lounge over looking the lake and spotted a moose grazing on the edge of the lake:

The next morning we were treated to a beautiful view as the morning sun reflected off the clouds and illuminated the mountains: