ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-24-2017   #1
ssrszz4

Default Your first memories of a Vette.

Had a girl at school i liked every time the bus went by here house there it was her dad's Vette must of been a '64 or '65. Then there was this assistant manager at a gas station i worked at when i was 18 he had a brand new '68 he was like some kind of God! Back then what car you drive was a status symbol! Then i had a friend i must have been 23 he had a '63 split window!

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
ssrszz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #2
Hog

Default Re: Your first memories of a Vette.

One of my Dads friends, Ross, had an L98/auto Corvette that he bought. I think it was a 1987 model. Ross took me for a ride, we drove at normal speed down this 2 mile straight paved road that runs through a forest area. At the store, he turned around and headed back and as we rounded a curve that entered the straightaway he nailed the throttle. He got it well over 200kph. I remember the way it pushed me back in my seat.

Another one of my Dads friends had an early C4. He told my Mom to take me for a ride in it and away we went through the same forest straight away and we stopped at the same store. Mom got out and bought a pack of smokes and came back out. There were a bunch of guys from school that were checking the car out. Well Mom gets in and fastens her seatbelts and starts the engine. Then she somehow engaged the windshield wipers and she didn't know how to shut them off. It felt like we sat there for way to long as she fumbled around trying to disengage the wipers. It felt like my face was on fire as I was blushing so hard.

So much for looking cool in a Vette.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #3
Dean Nelson

1967, I was 16, my Uncle bought a new 67 he ordered. He would not let me drive it, but I could wash it all the time for him.
my first trip in it was from his home in Fargo N.D. back to Chicago with a stop over at Road America to see the Cam-Am race.
first time he let me drive it I was 28!
I had been trying to by it from him from 1975 and on.
than in 1980 he said I could buy it.
I still have it today, 40,200 miles on it, B.G. Benchmark car.....
Kind of a "one owner" car.....
He is now 87 years young.....
Dean Nelson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151010_083248_resized.jpg (123.3 KB, 73 views)
Dean Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #4
RussMcB

My swimming coach when I was 13 yo had a C3 Corvette. My strongest memory is from the passenger seat, looking through the "valley" over the hood between the high arching front fenders. Seemed like a space ship.

Then he sold it for a Monte Carlo. I (being a 13 yo) couldn't understand why anyone would sell a Vette to get a Monte Carlo ...
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #5
Ccmano

1970, one of my high school teachers (math I think) bought a 71 LT1 convertible in Brands Hatch Green. I was a sophomore and in awe.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #6
ssrszz4

Great stories!!

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
ssrszz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #7
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

T'waz a BLACK '63 SWC back when I was in HS. that set the hook!

Then in college there was a (I'll call it) metalic or mist blue 66 coupe BBC tri-power for sale for $3000. (I was essentially strapped w/ tuition, etc at the time...)

Then I went through my motorcycle phase. Then in '02 I fell in love with a 95 LT1/M6 coupe, and the Corvette ownership dream became reality! However, deep in my bones, I was intrigued by ZR-1.

Went to buy a part for the 95, and on the showroom floor was what was to be my ZR-1: my 1990 RED/RED-BLACK ZR-1. The permagrin hasn't worn off yet!

Phoenix May 2014-2.jpg

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #8
FU

My first memory of a vette was watching Phil DeJohn driving a light colored maybe 62 that he worked on forever. He did a great job fixing that car up as I recall. That was a lifetime ago.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #9
MarkSS

My first memory was of my dad putting the front spoiler on a 1978 Pace Car in our driveway. I grew up around my family's dealership and remember sitting in that silver interior with the plastic still on it... I was 5. I thought it was cool and the dealership held on to it for years, long enough that I eventually got to drive it (though it only had 600 miles on it when they finally sold it in the early 90s). Not a great performer, but there was still something about it.
MarkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #10
AnthonyGS

When I was 5 one of dads friends picked me up from school one day in a 65 Vert. It was awesome. Next memory was being 10 or so and riding to the beach in a 78 with t tops off. My 78 is for sale too.... too many cars.
AnthonyGS is offline   Reply With Quote