ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-15-2018   #1
KJL

Default Serious Concerns Over Parts Availability

After having some issues with trouble codes and researching possible causes, a troubling trend left me somewhat panic stricken. Relatively speaking our cars are not that old but it seems more and more replacement parts are simply no longer available. The few folks who we rely on for such parts are running out of their stock piles. What does this mean for the future of our ZR1's?

I never thought I would consider this but should I just sell them now while they are least running? (I own 2)

When I read one of the possible causes for code 43 is a failed ignition control module and oh BTW they are no longer available or the tail shaft for my transmission is no longer available not to mention the ECM, even the alternator, starter...heck it is even a challenge finding the right wiper blades that fit under the hood.....I am really begin to wonder. Are all the things that make this car so special also be its undoing?

Has anyone compiled a list of parts that are no longer available for our cars?
1995 ZR1 #159
Ported,Corsa,4.10 Rear, Dual Disc RAM Clutch, Alum Flywheel, Haibeck Chip, ZFDoc Plates, Relocated Battery 400 rwhp
1992 ZR1 #280
Ported, Locked Secondary's, Flowmaster Exhaust, Haibeck Chip, 375rwhp
1996 Collectors LT4 (Stock)
1972 Convertible 434 Small Block
572 rwhp
KJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018   #2
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Serious Concerns Over Parts Availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJL View Post
After having some issues with trouble codes and researching possible causes, a troubling trend left me somewhat panic stricken. Relatively speaking our cars are not that old but it seems more and more replacement parts are simply no longer available. The few folks who we rely on for such parts are running out of their stock piles. What does this mean for the future of our ZR1's?

I never thought I would consider this but should I just sell them now while they are least running? (I own 2)

When I read one of the possible causes for code 43 is a failed ignition control module and oh BTW they are no longer available or the tail shaft for my transmission is no longer available not to mention the ECM, even the alternator, starter...heck it is even a challenge finding the right wiper blades that fit under the hood.....I am really begin to wonder. Are all the things that make this car so special also be its undoing?

Has anyone compiled a list of parts that are no longer available for our cars?
Well, that's what the REGISTRY is for! It's a network of ZR-1 nuts who can help each other with parts, or sources for them. When something gets scarce, many times various individuals (Jerry's Gaskets is but ONE example) come up with new sources. (Jerry is working on and nearly complete with a DIS module...just ONE example.

You're working yourself up needlessly!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018   #3
TX '90 ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Well, that's what the REGISTRY is for! It's a network of ZR-1 nuts who can help each other with parts, or sources for them. When something gets scarce, many times various individuals (Jerry's Gaskets is but ONE example) come up with new sources. (Jerry is working on and nearly complete with a DIS module...just ONE example.

You're working yourself up needlessly!
DITTO!! There's enough firepower here to keep 'em running.
If you have an issue, post it up. Someone here has been there before.
1990 #442
TX '90 ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018   #4
Demps

I share your concern. Every time I get in a car, it's something. Today, thankfully, it was only a battery. I'm always tinkering to keep them tip top. Working on something else tomorrow.

My biggest disappointment is GM's abandonment but apparent greed to 'propriety'. It is not right that GM won't support the cars themselves but also won't give an olive branch to the enthusiasts. You can get, for a price, old German car parts. The aftermarket never embraced or lost interest in ZR-1 reproductions--sure it's a business case.

I am extremely thankful for what Jerry is doing. Others too for that matter. Imagine if GM just overtly supported Jerry with DIS specifics.

I'm strongly debating downsizing. Every time I do I seem to just buy another. Everyone is hoping or speculating these cars will take off. I've been doing the same for nearly two decades & 15ish cars. I don't know where they will go but GM's & the industry's abandonment can't help. Maybe it's time to take note.

Ted
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018   #5
KJL

While many mechanical parts can be made or modified from other available parts like the transmission tail shaft, my main concern are the electrical components. Are there any after market ignition modules or ECMs that would work for our cars?
1995 ZR1 #159
Ported,Corsa,4.10 Rear, Dual Disc RAM Clutch, Alum Flywheel, Haibeck Chip, ZFDoc Plates, Relocated Battery 400 rwhp
1992 ZR1 #280
572 rwhp

Last edited by KJL; 08-16-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-16-2018   #6
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

When it comes to the Achilles Heel aka the DIS module, we all share your concern; the ECM - not so much as they are available, and just in the past week(s) Marc Haibeck is starting to referbish the ECMs.

Jerry's Gaskets is progressing toward completion of that DIS module, and we all are on the edge of our seats, far as monitoring progress. But, then again, MegaSquirt has developed an ignition system that piggy-backs on the stock GM system (as I understand it).

Note: Fortunately, the DIS module is very robust and NOT a common mode failure item. However, HEAT is always an issue, far as electronics longivity is concerned. One of the advantages of removing the coolant circulating through the TB is the considerable reduction of heat transferred to that DIS module - at least while the motor is running.
I'm reminded of a Ford Model "T" car club I read about. I came across it while reading a post on the CF FORUM (IIRC) which was dealing with this very subject. The OP was concerned about parts for his early C4 and expressing some panic (if that is the right word) over locating parts. The responder with the model T assured him that through his club and the ability of many to fabricate parts otherwise unavailable, that the concern was largely mitigated.

And SO, I believe, it is the case with our cars as well. Far as I know, there aren't many - IF ANY - cars that are parked for lack of parts OR a reasonable solution to work around. And, thank Lotus and Mercury Marine for building such a robust "bullet-proof" motor that doesn't fail often.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018   #7
jss06c6

Like it or not, we've got a fairly complicated engine design with early vintage computer controls. These engines are a testament to reliability from a mechanical perspective, but we still face a death blow from ECM, CDM and Ignition Module failure and obsolescence.

The car is straight forward mechanically, so fairly easy to maintain from that end. Jerry (God Bless Him) and Graham (Him Too) are working on a replacement for the Ignition Module. MSquirt has a partial solution for the ECM. Torqhead has a solution for the LT-1/4 ECM, but not the LT-5. Don't know of anyone that has a CDM replacement under way, but with the number of C4's still out there,we've got some sources of used boxes..

I love working on my ZR-1. It's unique and a conversation starter at the shows. I will be helping others with their ZR-1's at my new shop. I do understand though, that unlike other antique cars that are purely mechanical, the ZR-1 will face extinction some day in the future when electronics are simply not available.

Mercury Marine's SB4 is a good replacement, but again, not built to talk to the CDM..

Let's just enjoy the ride while we've got it...

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

Last edited by jss06c6; 08-16-2018 at 05:01 PM.
jss06c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018   #8
KJL

Thanks for the responses... I think panic is a good word when thinking about a $30,000 planter

Is the DIS the ignition module?

I have the throttle body passages blocked on both cars.
1995 ZR1 #159
1992 ZR1 #280
572 rwhp

Last edited by KJL; 08-16-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-16-2018   #9
KJL

I know where the ECM and ignition modules live but what is the CCM?
1995 ZR1 #159
1992 ZR1 #280
572 rwhp
Old 08-16-2018   #10
jss06c6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJL View Post
Thanks for the responses... I think panic is a good word when thinking about a $30,000 planter

Is the DIS the ignition module?

I have the throttle body passages blocked on both cars.
Yes

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
jss06c6 is offline   Reply With Quote