ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-28-2014   #31
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Time to face the music.

Well its not the motor... A lot of 1996 C4s had the LT4

Well its not the Stripes..... So played out that other C4s have em and Dodge stole em.

Well Its not the color....... plenty of C4s in the same color.

Its a limited 1000 run of all three available for those "special" folks that have more money than sense. Less than 1000 remain, more now have a red gut interior than were orginally produced.

Sorry i'll take my car over it any day and buy a C6 ZR-1 as a stable mate and still have plenty of pocket change.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #32
taximan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod-v8 View Post
$140K for a '96GS....wow! New that car was ~$40K!!! Although I am not happy with the amount that our ZR-1's are selling for, I feel very confident we are heading in the right direction. In a year or two I dont see these cars going for under $20K unless totaled or the owner not knowing any better.

I agree. But as I said before, your already seeing price separation of the 90-92, from the 93-95s. Base solely on quantity. The other reason is that the collector car community is always looking for limited production, unique cars. The trickle down takes about 6months to a year before the general public realizes whats going on.

Not throwing stones at any 90-92s. They are also awesome cars, just my 2 cents on what collectors are thinking.

Prices have clearly bottomed out, and I look for at least 10% upward swing this year.
1995 "Last" Admiral Blue ZR1 #438
Member # 760
NCM Lifetime member #1005
NCRS # 23110

[I][B]Sting Rays Corvette Club of Florida
Gold Coast Corvettes Club[/B][/I]
taximan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #33
XfireZ51

I doubt if any of this makes a diff to someone like myself owning a ZR-1 modded the way mine is and w the chassis mileage it has.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #34
mgg

I guess the key word in all of this is "collector" not really how great a car really is. I think I have some perspective on this. In 1981 I bought a 1966 GT350 H. Black/Gold stripes 4 spd. I restored the car and it was magnificent. It was so nice that I was almost scared to drive it. The bottom line is: from a performance perspective, from a driveability perspective that GT350H couldn't hold a candle to my ZR-1. I loved that Shelby but quite frankly it was an old design that was great in its day but archaic in performance compared to modern performance cars. The ZR-1 with all of its historic significance, especially the 1990 model with the records that it broke, the huge splash it made when it was introduced was a true supercar. I would argue it has more historic significance than just about any other corvette. I sold my Shelby in 1990 to buy a new C4 L98 Z51 6spd. I planned on autoxing then eventually turning it into a race car which I did. I raced the car in SCCA & NASA for approx. 15 years. Selling the Shelby for a good chuck of cash allowed me to do this. I am grateful for that. However I do not quite understand how a 70 NOVA or 340 Duster can even be in the same value league as a C4 ZR-1. Are you kidding me! These cars although neat are nothing more than a grocery getter with motor. No engineering, no brakes, no handling. It seems to me that the performance of the C4 and the racing success seems to get swept under the rug. Dominating World Challenge with the likes of Porsche, Lotus, etc. rarely gets mentioned. My C4 although significantly modified is still competitive today with all of the new iron out there. That's over a 20 year run. These collectors seemed to more interested a 200hp Trans -am with a bird on the hood that won't get out of its own way. Let em have em. Gentleman, I think we a very fortunate to have one of the truly great cars without having to spend a fortune. My Zr-1 is at Haibecks as we speak finishing up the 350/510 package. I will enjoy driving this car for many years and will be thrilled if some day the value begins to appreciate. Until then, I will enjoy what I believe is truly on of the most significant cars in automotive history and be very proud to own say I own one. I did receive an e-mail from a friend who tracked my Shelby after I sold it. It eventually ended up in California. He sent me an article from a California newspaper that talked about a historical Shelby that burned up in the California fires. It happened to be my old car. The insurance company paid him 100k for the car. I have no regrets. I have loved my C4s and especially my ZR-1. WHen I purchased my C4 new in 1990 I remember seeing a new ZR-1 roped off and telling my wife. That's what I really want , but no way could we afford that. Years later I got my ZR-1 with only 10k miles, have modified it just the way I want with 18 Fikses FM5s , coilovers, Wilwood six piston brakes, 410 gears and now the Haibeck treatment. I am one happy guy. As I said no regrets! If you are ever in the market for a ZR-1, I would agree with Bill Stevens, now is the time before the secret gets out.
mgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #35
Locobob

140K for a GS???? That is just insane! I concur with what has been said already, some folks have more money than brains...

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #36
Kevin

I agree with what has been said here. The zr-1 has always been **** on. around the early 2000s I was running up to carlise with the club I was a member of and some guy with a base c5 asked me if I really thought the zr-1 could keep up with the rest of the cars which were mostly c5's. needless to say he saw nothing but the wide *** and 315's till I left them at our lunch stop since I had to get to the show field and help set up the registry tent. This guy was so damn smug that his c5 was going to walk away from me that he wouldn't even talk to me at lunch. I think i hurt his feelings.

The ZR-1 has always been a niche car, it's always been one of those, oh it's a c4, to whose who don't know and a knowing nod from those who know what it is. why? I don't know. To me the grand sport is just sorta slapped together. I like the gs paint scheme, it's fun, it's catches the eye but the rear fender flairs look like an after thought, which I'm sure they were, and they look like something you get from APC.

I'm reading the c4 facebook page like someone else said they were...I can't remember who it was sorry about that, and the zr-1 gets kicked in the teeth every chance these morons get. Oh it's too hard to work on, it's slow, a lt4 car is just as fast, it's not reliable, it's over rated, and while I agree with them that it's not always the most reliable car it's no worse then any other 24 year old car.

To summarize my rant, I have no idea where we're going from here
Old 01-28-2014   #37
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
....This guy was so damn smug that his c5 was going to walk away from me that he wouldn't even talk to me at lunch. I think i hurt his feelings.
I would love to see that.....priceless!!!!
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #38
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod-v8 View Post
I would love to see that.....priceless!!!!
I should note, my zr-1 at the time was stock. Chip, coplan air duct, open air filter lid. I thought he was chained to a tree. He got kinda sandy in his pants when I was talking about Julio's sprayed 408.
Old 01-28-2014   #39
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
**...some guy with a base c5 asked me if I really thought the zr-1 could keep up with the rest of the cars which were mostly c5's. ...This guy was so damn smug that his c5 was going to walk away ...**
I hear ya Kevin. And, one of my favorite things is either educating those numbskulls, or witnessing other Zs do it!!

When Pete and Dom showed up at the first CPCC drags, there were maybe a half dozen Chicago clubs there to race; most of which were C5s and C6s. The amount of trash talking regarding the C4s that came to the line was loud and predominant. Pete was the fasted that year. Later, after looking at time slips we realized we "F'ed" up by not registering for trophies, because we blew it. Our 3-car aggregate time was a winner! After that we came loaded for bear.

After the FBI ZR-1s took top team honors in 2011

Bracket winner, Marc Haibeck

Fastest ET by Al Dashto

and FBI took the 2013 top team honors again this last year. Kevin took so many individual trophies too, he could hardly hold them all

(photo actually from 2012 - couldn't get all of Kevin's individual trophies in one photo, i.e., fastest ET, highest speed, (and one more too at least)

The big difference now when a ZR-1 comes to the line, instead of scoffing like the first year, there is silence and a lot of lip biting among those clubs now. Respect, by golly!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 01-28-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #40
USAZR1

The values being so low have an unexpected benefit,though. Just imagine if our cars jumped to over $100K. How many of us would still be enjoying them like we do now,if that happened?
1994 ZR-1 White/Red #152 (sold)
1991 ZR-1 Callaway Aerobody #1332 (sold)
1990 ZR-1 Red/Red #952 (sold)
2002 Z06 Torch Red/Mod Red widebody
USAZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote