View Poll Results: Do you want a newsletter
Yes, I would like a newsletter w/ my subscription 31 60.78%
No, I don't care. 20 39.22%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2012   #1
vilant

Default Newsletter poll

I noticed a lot of ranting about the newsletter. Thought I post a poll to see who really wants one. If there's overwhelming response for it, then it should be made available. If a majority don't care, then why bother.
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
Old 08-11-2012   #2
Z Factor

Lightbulb Re: Newsletter poll

Joe,

While it is fine for you to post this poll, I am first going to move it to the club section of the forum since it is a club related issue.

Second, what many people who frequent the forum probably do not consider is that many dues paying members are not regular participants here. Some use the listserver exclusively, some do not use the internet at all, and their only connection to the club is via the newsletter or attending events.

So while I am not going to get into the middle of this issue because I am not on the BOD and try to stay neutral, the poll will probably not be reflective of the membership for the aforementioned reasons.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt - April 23, 1910
Old 08-11-2012   #3
vilant

Default Re: Newsletter poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Factor View Post
Joe,

While it is fine for you to post this poll, I am first going to move it to the club section of the forum since it is a club related issue.

Second, what many people who frequent the forum probably do not consider is that many dues paying members are not regular participants here. Some use the listserver exclusively, some do not use the internet at all, and their only connection to the club is via the newsletter or attending events.

So while I am not going to get into the middle of this issue because I am not on the BOD and try to stay neutral, the poll will probably not be reflective of the membership for the aforementioned reasons.

OK sorry, didn't realize. Just figured most of us were paying members, and participated somewhat regularly.
Old 08-11-2012   #4
scottfab

It would be instructive to have some numbers.
How many member only use the list server?
How many do not participate in the forum nor the list server?
Numbers in % of overall members.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
Old 08-11-2012   #5
Z Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilant View Post
OK sorry, didn't realize. Just figured most of us were paying members, and participated somewhat regularly.
Hi Joe,

No need to apologize as I certainly understand your curiosity. It is just that over the years we have tried to gauge whether or not things were redundant or not, i.e. the forum vs the listserver. So MOM created a poll years ago here on the forum and announced it on the listserver as well. We actually had a few people registered here just to vote to keep the listserver, but it was not close to the number of people who actually used it(and presumably wanted to keep it).

So I strongly suspect the results will not be reflective of the majority of the membership. Still the is no problem with you trying.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
Old 08-11-2012   #6
Z Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
It would be instructive to have some numbers.
How many member only use the list server?
How many do not participate in the forum nor the list server?
Numbers in % of overall members.
Hi Scott,

I believe it would be great to know also. That said, it would be incredibly difficult to gauge how accurate the figures were. Considering some only use one or the other, that alone would pose certain impediments. What further complicates the issue is a decent amount probably do not frequent either, some not at all.
I also suspect that the ones who want a hard-copy are the most likely to want to keep a newsletter, but some of them might not even use/have a computer.
This has always posed a quandary, so Dave Bright(aka Mom) chose to continue to provide as many avenues/connections to the ZR-1 community as possible.

Old 08-12-2012   #7
vilant

Quote:

I also suspect that the ones who want a hard-copy are the most likely to want to keep a newsletter, but some of them might not even use/have a computer.

I'm also a member of the Corvette Club of Delaware Valley, they have a newsletter (the Gascap) that is online. If you want a hard copy you have to specifically ask for it, otherwise it's accessible online. Not sure how the newsletter works here.
It would cut down on costs just to mail it to the few that want it in hard copy, the rest would be happy just to read it online. I personally wouldn't want a hard copy (waste of resources), and really could care less if either club had a newsletter. It's not the reason I'm a paying member of either club.
Old 08-12-2012   #8
Z Factor

Quote:
I'm also a member of the Corvette Club of Delaware Valley, they have a newsletter (the Gascap) that is online. If you want a hard copy you have to specifically ask for it, otherwise it's accessible online. Not sure how the newsletter works here.
It would cut down on costs just to mail it to the few that want it in hard copy, the rest would be happy just to read it online. I personally wouldn't want a hard copy (waste of resources), and really could care less if either club had a newsletter. It's not the reason I'm a paying member of either club.
I think most publications future lies with being published online. While I personally did not always read the club newsletter, it was nice to perusal from time to time. Still there are others unlike ourselves who really enjoyed every newsletter, and miss it being published(online or otherwise).

I would certainly not presume to tell them my view is more valid than theirs when it comes to things they enjoy.

Old 08-12-2012   #9
scottfab

Quote:
Hi Scott,

I believe it would be great to know also. That said, it would be incredibly difficult to gauge how accurate the figures were. Considering some only use one or the other, that alone would pose certain impediments. What further complicates the issue is a decent amount probably do not frequent either, some not at all.
This has always posed a quandary, so Dave Bright(aka Mom) chose to continue to provide as many avenues/connections to the ZR-1 community as possible.
Thank you for the reply. I recall having this same exchange with mom about 6yrs ago. And I certainly understand the difficulty in gathering the real numbers. However, as then I still feel an effort should go to this, perhaps a 3 or 4 question questionnaire that would happen at re-registration time? How can informed decisions happen otherwise? I think we all know as time goes by fewer and fewer will insist on paper only. It's just a matter of how quickly.

Imagine how simplifying the publishing of the KOTH would make things. Then the biggest difficulty would be satisfying all members and non members about some thing else.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
Old 08-12-2012   #10
zr1mom

Quote:
Joe we have both as well. When we were publishing the newsletter the member had the option of accessing it on line for free thru the "Members Only" section of the web site or for a fee have a hard cover copy delivered to their house.
NCM Lifetime Member
Closed Thread