ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-18-2012   #11
scottfab

Default Re: UNABLE TO SCAN ENGINE CODES

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Scott reread the post. The OP GOFAST has not identified either of his two scanner or readers.

Thats my point Tom is the one with a MT2500 scanner. Your link is for Toms model and not the OPs

Still confused?
no not now. "you're" correct I was reading the wrong post. My bad.
Thank you. I deleted my confused posts to clean up the tread.

Quote:
As to this comment Scott why do you consistently feel it necessary to attempt to chide the membership in your posts?

No I do not know the snap on scanner well. As aready stated I know the AutoXray 6000 and the Tech 1-A well.
WOW! you took that as a dig? NOT AT ALLLLLLLLLLLL
It was an assumption that I knew nothing of the Snap on scanner.
Please reread!

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #12
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
no not now. "you're" correct I was reading the wrong post. My bad.
Thank you. I deleted my confused posts to clean up the tread.

WOW! you took that as a dig? NOT AT ALLLLLLLLLLLL
It was an assumption that I knew nothing of the Snap on scanner.
Please reread!

Thanks for the cleanup. Ok thanks for that clarification. Now back to the OP what Scanning/reading tools are you using?
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #13
scottfab

Quote:
Thanks for the cleanup. Ok thanks for that clarification. Now back to the OP what Scanning/reading tools are you using?
GOFAST apparently you are "OP".
Not sure if you were but I was confused about what an "OP" was.

Old 07-18-2012   #14
VetteMed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvette98pacecar View Post
So what is the best scanner on the market for our cars?
Tech 1 or Tech 1A, or Mastertech (does everything the Tech 1/1A can do, and more).
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #15
GOFAST

One of the scanners was a SNAP-ON but I'll have to check the model. I'll have to check the make on the other as well.
GOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #16
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
GOFAST apparently you are "OP".
Not sure if you were but I was confused about what an "OP" was.
OP='s Original Poster. GC

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 07-18-2012   #17
GOLDCYLON

Quote:

For all the functionality that GM intended in the Atari Generation. The Tech 1-A. Or Mastertech which is the same device.

A lot of the newer scanners will do 90% of what the GM scanners will do but not everything. GC

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 07-18-2012   #18
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Tech 1A Main Electronics Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
How about TS........for Thread Starter

I have found that the Tech 1A main electronics board costs $500 to replace from Vetronix Corporation. Vetronix Corporation will not send you a replacement main electronics board but rather you have to send your Tech 1A to them for a $65 service charge just to look at it. I have run into two Tech 1As within the last month each of which had a bad main electronics board.

Always possible Cliff these units are becoming long in the tooth like thier owners lol. GC

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 07-19-2012   #19
scottfab

Quote:
Don't know about best but I use Diacom data logger (works on a laptop with a special adapter and ODBII connector) and a Dyno-Scan by Auterra.
With these I get codes and data logging. A very handy feature for analysis of problems instead of shot gunning parts. These are great but cannot perform the "active diagnostics".

For active diagnostics I use the car's built in tests. The 90 has many that were left out of subsequent MYs. To access these I made a ODBII connector that simply has a rotary selector that grounds one of about 5 pins at a time. What gets grounded is all in the manual.
(ADDED LATER - I also have a CanOBD2 scanner by INNOVA.

Last edited by scottfab; 07-19-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-19-2012   #20
QB93Z

To go back to the original question about codes. I have had situations where the Service Engine Soon light comes on and there are no codes stored.

One condition where I have seen this is when a primary injector had a broken wire. No fuel to one cylinder caused a lean condition on that side and the SES light would come on and go out but I wasn't getting a code.

Another situation that I never identified, but I suspect was failing injectors was that the SES light would occasionally come on after a full throttle acceleration, would stay on until the engine was turned off and restarted. The SES would not return after the restart, and there were no codes set. I saw this several time over the years with my 1993.

GOFAST, you may be reading the codes correctly, but there aren't any there.

I recommend that the protracted discussion about code readers and data loggers be taken to a separate thread and we try to help GOFAST with his engine performance question.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote