ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Racing > Personal Racing Stories

Old 07-23-2012   #1
Top Toy

Default Humbled a 911 Turbo

Was on my way to a cruise-in a few months ago and saw a 911 coming up from behind on a 4 lane local road. He pulls up on my left and I see it's about a 2000 vintage turbo with the giant whale tail. Just before approaching an on-ramp to the interstate, he passes me and takes the lead onto the ramp. I figured things were going to get interesting very quickly and I wasn't disappointed. As soon as we got close to the highway and could see a clear spot in traffic, he hammered it with the obvious expectation of leaving me in the wake of that silly looking tail. Didn't happen! I punched it in the upper range of second, passed him while hitting 3rd and wailing at about 7200, and continued to humiliate him until letting off in 4th. He then tucked in behind me and we cruised at legal speeds for another several miles before I exited for my cruise-in. Felt good to be paid proper respect by such a high profile car.
'95 ZR-1, aqua/gray, #167
368 LPE/Haibeck, Web cams, Stainless Works headers, B&B Fusion exhaust, 18" Fikse wheels, Alcon brakes, lowered. 491 SAE RWHP.
Top Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #2
XfireZ51

Default Re: Humbled a 911 Turbo

Dennis,

U coming to Corvette Challenge Sept 9?
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #3
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Toy View Post
Was on my way to a cruise-in a few months ago and saw a 911 coming up from behind on a 4 lane local road. He pulls up on my left and I see it's about a 2000 vintage turbo with the giant whale tail. Just before approaching an on-ramp to the interstate, he passes me and takes the lead onto the ramp. I figured things were going to get interesting very quickly and I wasn't disappointed. As soon as we got close to the highway and could see a clear spot in traffic, he hammered it with the obvious expectation of leaving me in the wake of that silly looking tail. Didn't happen! I punched it in the upper range of second, passed him while hitting 3rd and wailing at about 7200, and continued to humiliate him until letting off in 4th. He then tucked in behind me and we cruised at legal speeds for another several miles before I exited for my cruise-in. Felt good to be paid proper respect by such a high profile car.

Dennis

Coming to corvettes of Carlisle???

Bring that beast!

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #4
Top Toy

Change of plans. I'll be there!
368 LPE/Haibeck, Web cams, Stainless Works headers, B&B Fusion exhaust, 18" Fikse wheels, Alcon brakes, lowered. 491 SAE RWHP.
Old 09-22-2012   #5
ZRXMAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Toy View Post
I had a similar experience back around 04 with a top of the line 911. When we stopped to chat he said his car cost 125K when it was new. If I recall correctly the hp was 425. It was all white and looked to be a notch above the normal 1997 911 turbo you would normally see. His car was really snappy on the punch... so snappy I thought it would inch away from me once we were underway. He said he had never seen a Corvette that could run with his car like mine did. Not sure which one of us was faster as it was very close.... however, he did seem to fade a bit around 150+. It was his company car and he worked for a guy that owned 3 dairies in different locations that gave him plenty of windshield time. I must admit I felt a little adrenalized having that much fun while engaged in such adventurous driving.
91 ZR-1 #661 Watsons, 3" exhaust, Borlas... Hurst, 4.11s, Samco, RD radiator, gel coated motor... turquise / black
ZRXMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #6
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

On my way to a Cruise Night last spring. I live out in the country, so I don't see many cars on the road, leave alone a C6. But, I looked up, and there he was, a silver C6 glued to my rear bumper. OOfda!! What da hey?? Sucker musta dropped outta the sky or something. I was almost startled!

We came to a stop, and then a right turn onto a smooth blacktop with a fiesty S curve at the end of about 1/2 mile. I accellerated in first - not WOT, but just enough to see what his intentions were. Was he just out for a strole, or mischief? Ah...MISCHIEF!

My accelleration caught him a little off guard, and I had the lead as we rounded the right turn together, so he was back a couple car lengths as I went into 2nd at about 5500 or so. I looked up and he was comin hard and thought about showing this ol C4 an thing or two, I recon!

Well, a "500" package is just about the "tip-in" point in FBI country, and with a 5500 rpm head start for an LT5 going into 2nd gear is everything I could want just then! The C6 driver hung it out for about a second before reality set in and chose dignity over humiliation.

As it turned out, we were both headed to the same cruise night, and we met again at the show. He recongnized the car and stopped by to talk Corvettes a bit. Then is when he saw an LT5 for the first time, and we spent about 10 minutes discussing the ZR-1s and their legacy and Corvettes in general. He was a Vette guy too, and we had a nice chat. After, he said he didn't feel so bad - that is was not just some C4 that was taking his LS3 to the woodshed!

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 10-17-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #7
Top Toy

Very cool, Paul! Had a similar reaction from one of the C6 drivers at the Shootout after I beat him (badly).