ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-23-2022   #11
Hobbes

Default Re: Headers

Anyone have pics of the dimpling you had to do? And I?m assuming it?s better to dimple it before having them coated, or does that not really matter?
1991 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Black #1648 Stainless Works headers, OBX cat-back, Haibeck chip, Haibeck 170 degree thermostat, throttle body coolant bypass, led headlights & fog lights, Etoile 455 3-piece wheels.

1973 Stingray Black/Black #421. ZZ4 with Holley Sniper EFI, Tremec TKO-600 5 speed, 3-row aluminum radiator, 18? Foose legend wheels, + lots more.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022   #12
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
Anyone have pics of the dimpling you had to do? And I?m assuming it?s better to dimple it before having them coated, or does that not really matter?
Hobbes,

There seems to be car to car variation. I installed OBX headers in 2012 or so and did not have to dimple. My 94 has about 1/8? clearance. Not ideal perhaps but I would get it coated, trial fit and dimple if needed and where it?s needed. Ideal would be trial fit prior to sending it out to be coated but this involves extended down time. BTW - I broieve OBX and Maximizer are the same manufacturer and are almost exact copy (except for collector being moved forward a bit to add fake bullet cats) of Stainless works.
secondchance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022   #13
Hobbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Hobbes,

There seems to be car to car variation. I installed OBX headers in 2012 or so and did not have to dimple. My 94 has about 1/8? clearance. Not ideal perhaps but I would get it coated, trial fit and dimple if needed and where it?s needed. Ideal would be trial fit prior to sending it out to be coated but this involves extended down time. BTW - I broieve OBX and Maximizer are the same manufacturer and are almost exact copy (except for collector being moved forward a bit to add fake bullet cats) of Stainless works.
Appreciate the feedback! From my research, OBX and Maximizer are indeed the same. OBX headers are just more highly polished.
1991 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Black #1648 Stainless Works headers, OBX cat-back, Haibeck chip, Haibeck 170 degree thermostat, throttle body coolant bypass, led headlights & fog lights, Etoile 455 3-piece wheels.

1973 Stingray Black/Black #421. ZZ4 with Holley Sniper EFI, Tremec TKO-600 5 speed, 3-row aluminum radiator, 18? Foose legend wheels, + lots more.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022   #14
efnfast

Very happy with my OBX. Had to dimple them, no issues with the factory clamps. Paul Workman sold me a dipstick bracket. Also had them coated.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022   #15
NVRL8TE

All great info. Thanks!!
NVRL8TE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022   #16
Zedsnotdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
Appreciate the feedback! From my research, OBX and Maximizer are indeed the same. OBX headers are just more highly polished.
Sorry in advance for reviving an old forum.

I just got a set of Maximizer headers but can't find anywhere on the quality of steel. I'm assuming that it is 304 stainless like the OBX but don't want to mount them and then get rust down the line. They feel as if they have a rough high temp paint coating on them because they aren't polished.

If they're 304 stainless then I won't worry about ceramic coat since it's out of my budget now, but if they're not 304, then I'll just save up and wait on install.
Zedsnotdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022   #17
Mr Blue

Maximizers are stainless with a blasted texture. I had them power coated but it is not required. As I previously stated #1 tube had to be dimpled to clear the steering shaft. Other than that, a good fit.

Good Luck
David
Mr Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024   #18
SAM/CH ZR-1

Hello guys

Does OBX still sells headers? I can't find any online.

DR.Z/LT5-Performance

1990 #1822 with 383 cui
SAM/CH ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024   #19
secondchance

I don?t see any on eBay.
secondchance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024   #20
sleazy rider

google 'obx headers' and they will show up. available thru wally world.
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote