ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > General > ZR-1 Net Registry Club News

Old 06-21-2008   #31
DDSLT5

Default Re: Quarterly Publication

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95ZR1
Sounds like this stuff is being made up as we go along. It also sounds like there are a lot of things not being attended to. Tell me again what's so different compared to the last time???? OK, there haven't been any upside-down LT5 photos printed. Don't tell me the difference is about article bonuses, because there are other things that need attention, too. Find out who's running the ship, I think I see an iceburg.

This is my favorite post from this whole thread!

I haven't been onto this forum in a while, so I wasn't aware of this thread.

Carl - if you have some specific complaints about the job I'm doing as editor of the newsletter, please feel free to email me and I'll send you my phone number and we can chat about it on the phone.

Let me first answer the question above - I'm the one running the "ship", and I don't think I've run it into an iceberg (as opposed to an iceburg which I can only assume is a new burger at McDonalds with ice chips on top of the meat).

The second issue of the newsletter is indeed delayed, and there is good reason for this. It isn't actually because I'm sitting around on my *** doing nothing.............it is actually due to the fact that there is very little content being submitted to me for to insert into the publication. That's right, I said it Carl, without content from our members, there can be no newsletter.

I strive for excellence in everything I do, and I refuse to allow our newsletter to degenerate into a magazine that reprints outdated material from old publications as its only content. If people want to read the old articles, they can be scanned in online - that is NOT what the purpose of our publication is to be. This newsletter is to be the voice of its members and it is to be current.

At this point I wish to thank Hib Halverson, Marc Haibeck, Ron Kreigh and Jeff Flint for their tireless efforts to provide me with content for the newsletter. All four of these guys work full time and do not have extra time to spare to repeatedly produce articles for our newsletter. Hib is a professional writer, and is constantly on the road. He allows his professional articles to be printed in our little publication - it is truly a wonderful thing!

Marc Haibeck is a tuner who always makes a big effort to produce at least a short article that is a technical article on a new topic. He is a very busy man and yet he still finds time in his busy schedule to bring us fresh content.

Jeff Flint is busy starting his new business, yet he always finds time to motivate the northwest members to produce articles on the events up there as well as technical articles on projects he completes for his customers (no easy feat taking photos while working to earn a buck!).

Ron Kreigh is our fearless leader - the amount of time and effort he puts into this club is ridiculous to say the least. Just look how many posts he has made in this thread alone. Ron ALWAYS steps up to bat for me when content is light. Ron constantly writes articles for the newsletter. Ron also has a family and works very hard at his full time job. Without Ron's efforts, this club would not exist today.

Also - Dave Bright still helps with the final publication of the newsletter, even though he is not officially a board member - he is the president emeritus!

I know to some it may seem like the newsletter is an amateurish publication, but you'd be surprised to know, that it actually takes a lot of effort to assemble this magazine. As editor, my job (and I take it seriously) is to assemble all the submissions, edit the content for grammatical errors as well as syntax and punctuation. Additionally, I have to assess the photos, organize them and put these two together into an esthetically pleasing format for publication. Also - all advertisements must be updated and any classified ads must be inserted. This process is a solid 20 evenings of my time, and usually one weekend too. This does NOT include when I write an article myself (which I try not to do, as I want this newsletter to be a voice of you guys, not something that is my own personal pulpit). I try to make my article on the same quality as Hib's articles - but I don't do this for a living, and it takes time! Hib is good at what he does!

So - at a minimum, it takes 30 days to assemble a newsletter, but this can double or triple or quadruple when waiting for content and when composing content of my own (as I did for this issue).

John Boyd indicated he sent in an article that was split from last issue - that information is continued in this issue. John - sometimes I have to split the article if it arrives midstream in the assembly process of the newsletter - don't worry - it'll all get out there! I'm also sure a shirt and hat can be sent your way for your contribution!

Please - everyone - know that I realize I volunteered for this job, and that doesn't excuse me from doing a first rate job! I am working hard to produce a very high quality newsletter for you all to enjoy. I implore you - please send in anything that could be published in our newsletter! I will accept any content! It can be about how you bought your car, a cruise you took, your other toys, your bikes/trucks/cars, your family, your local event.......anything! It can be about how you live on an island where the speed limit is 25 mph and you now only shine the car and it gleams brighter than the sun! I would love to have a backlog of articles to choose from for your enjoyment!

I also have good news! I'm just finishing up the current newsletter as we speak! It should be printing next week! Due to the help of some of the members on the listserve, I have recently also gotten a few entries that will allow me to produce the third issue within a month or so! Hopefully by August the 3rd issue will be in print as well.

Finally - if anyone wants to discuss the newsletter with me - just email me! We can chat it out! I love to talk cars and I'm committed to our group and to the newsletter itself. I'm really happy to see that you guys like the newsletter and that you're enjoying it - it has been a personal labor of love for me!

Carl - how are you doing these days? I haven't seen you since Carlisle 02! Here's a trip down memory lane for ya:

How is Lissa? You guys enjoying Florida? Say hello for me!

Take it easy guys!
DDSLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008   #32
Hammer

Talking Re: Quarterly Publication

Dwight,

Nice to see you posting over here. Your points are well taken and your work is very much appreciated. I always look forward to the publication.

I am curious what it would take to re-publish some of the old articles. I'll bet there is a lot of stuff us new guys would like to read about from those old articles. I'm not talking about filling the HOTB with old stuff now, just selected articles that would be of interest.

As far as my article being published, when I sent it in it was trying to help out with content. I thought, this will never fly, replacing a windshield, jeez, how boring, nowbody will want to hear about this. Thanks a lot for that.

And I was being sarcastic about the hat and shirt (you do know what sarcasm is don't you ?? LOL), I didn't send that article in to get anything and as I mentioned, maybe that will help with submittals.

Thanks again for posting here and thanks to rest of you for posting too.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008   #33
95ZR1

NOBODY (ESPECAILLY ME!) is taking shots at those who are keeping on top of things (Jeff, Marc, and all those you mentioned), I'm concerned about things like this:
SECTION 7: DUTIES OF THE EDITOR

The Editor shall be in charge of the quarterly publication and all special publications of the ZR-1 Net Registry newsletter, this quarterly newsletter shall be made available to the ZR-1 Net Registry members both in hardcopy (at extra cost) and to the ZR-1 Net Registry web site as an electronic file for downloading. The Editor shall solicit articles from all Regional Directors and club members for publication in the quarterly newsletter. The Editor may edit articles as necessary but not to the extent the article loses its intent or meaning. The Editor shall determine that articles relevant to club business or proposals are written in a manner which displays no malice toward others. The Editor has the authority to accept or reject any article for publication. The Editor may appoint an assistant to share the duties of the position. Publication will be best effort possible. Newsletters will be mailed the first week of January, first week of April, first week of July and the first week of October. The editor has the option if required to publish additional newsletters during the year.

The first week of April was quite some time ago. If you are short of material, the officers need to demand more from their loyal Director level subjects, not criticize the members. I really don't know, and how could I, if you are short on material to publish or just not getting your job done. I suspect you are doing what you can, but obviously I do not know what is going on.

As for other duties, why are the financial details so out of date? This statement is over TWO YEARS OLD (from the current web site)>

Registry Financial Statement
Last update 03/03/2006

Treasurers Report

I take a great deal of pride and pleasure in presenting the financial status report to the membership of the ZR1 Net Registry. Since the creation of the Registry we have been very busy building the fiscal infrastructure necessary to support our organization.

I am happy to report that we have been quite successful. However, this success can only be attributed to the hard work of the volunteers who hold administrative positions in the organization and the members who have had faith in this organization via their financial support.

Allow me to highlight a few of our financial related activities:

We are now incorporated in the State of New Hampshire as a non profit entity.

In December, our organization was conditionally granted 501c(7) tax exempt status. We are in the process of filing the IRS paperwork for “confirmed” approval and should have that accomplished within the next few months.

We have implemented a fully functional accounting system (QuickBooks) complete with receipt and invoice capabilities.

We have established systems to accept payments of various forms- including those from personal checks, credit cards and Pay Pal. This indeed makes it very convenient for our members to join and purchase items.

At this point most of our major expenses have been made. We are in a very sound

financial position as we enter the time of year when most of our activities will take place.

The financial activities of the Registry from inception to December 31, 2005 are reflected on the accompanying statement.

Respectfully Submitted,
(DELETED)

ZR-1 Net RegistryStatement of Revenues and ExpensesJanuary 1, 2005 - December 31, 2005

>>>>> SNIP< as the details do not need to be published here<<<<<<

2005 !!!! You get the point!!!!!!!!!

You guys need to re-evaluate this situation. You need officers who will work for your club, not a group of members who just happen to have the coolest ZR-1s.

Oh, Kurt, the pics were interesting. I know if I wasn't out there (and Kevin) chasing the "other" cars from between the Kerbeck tent and our tent, half of you guys wouldn't have had a plce to park!!

95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008   #34
DDSLT5

Quote:
I really don't know, and how could I, if you are short on material to publish or just not getting your job done.
You would know because I am constantly requesting material in my letter from the editor in each issue. You would also see me posting on the Corvette forum and the listserve that I need more material. This isn't something new, it has been going on for quite a few years now.

Quote:
Oh, Kurt, the pics were interesting. I know if I wasn't out there (and Kevin) chasing the "other" cars from between the Kerbeck tent and our tent, half of you guys wouldn't have had a plce to park!!
A) My name isn't Kurt. Maybe you should check your issue of the HOTB to see what it is.
B) Did you really just pat yourself on the back for an event from 5 years ago?

What our club wants is members who are interested in helping the club prosper. It is very simple - if members don't send in material, there will not be a newsletter. Anyone who paid for a hard copy will get a refund.

I'm going to try to ignore some of the more insulting comments in this thread because I know that most members appreciate the efforts I put into this newsletter and I won't let one bad apple spoil the bunch.

In the future - please offer solutions, not a litany of problems you see. Remember - the directors are not paid for their efforts, and neither are they chosen based on their cool cars - they are elected by the members. If you want to make a difference, feel free to run for office. If you are severely disappointed in how the club continues to run its affairs, feel free not to rejoin.
DDSLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #35
Hammer

Talking Re: Quarterly Publication

Well the next issue has come out and it sure has some neat info in it. Wish I could have been at BG this year. Lotsa artillary came out.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #36
tf95ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer
Well the next issue has come out and it sure has some neat info in it.
And what a great article about last year's West Coast Gathering in Las Vegas!
Oh wait, that was mine!
Lets see some interest in another Las Vegas GTG end of Sept. 2008. We just need to work out the details........

Thanks Dwight! Great Pics!
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008   #37
flyin ryan

i loved the info & pictures of the phase 2 LT-5=D>, can't get enough of that stuff.
Old 06-28-2008   #38
rkreigh

great job on the newsletter, I sent out a message to all the board, regional, state, and country directors in the hopes of stimulating more interesting content.

the current newsletter is up for viewing and it has some of the most interesting highlights of BG!! it really was a special event and had some of the best new development in a long time.

have a look, I think you will be pleased.

dwight,

keep up the good work, and thanks for all your efforts to keep the newsletter such a high quality publication. it not only looks great and has some very interesting news, it's consistently got info that cannot be found ANYWHERE else

also folks, keep an eye out for next months Corvette Enthusiast

Chris Chessnoe, my counterpart on the Callaway Owners group assembled 7 supervettes, 4 Callaways, and 3 ZR-1s. we drove through the country and switched cars every 20 or so miles until each of us had driven all the cars. we all wrote our impressions. it was quite a blast! a very interesting event to drive all these rare cars which will go down in corvette history thorugh some great back roads of VA

I won't soon forget it. If you like, after it's published I'll do some additional photos and follow up news.

in another breaking event, the ZR-1 "mother lode" has been found. A small shop in Ok City area, which was previously largely "unknown" to anyone except the locals, has quite a stash of interesting LT5s, info, and memorabilia. The registry will be stepping up to not only do a news story on it, but to preserve much of this rare and historically important info

stay tuned!! this really is an "LT5 gold mine"
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008   #39
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreigh
the current newsletter is up for viewing and it has some of the most interesting highlights of BG!! it really was a special event and had some of the best new development in a long time.

have a look, I think you will be pleased.

dwight,

keep up the good work, and thanks for all your efforts to keep the newsletter such a high quality publication. it not only looks great and has some very interesting news, it's consistently got info that cannot be found ANYWHERE else
As always the newsletter looks good. I've already submitted an article for Dwight for the next one. Hopefully others will submit and we can get a nice thick issue out in short order.
Old 07-30-2008   #40
DaveK

I received my copy in the mail this week and Just wanted to say have just read it cover to cover. I haven't been able to do as much this year as I'd like to with the ZR-1, what with wedding plans and everything so it was great to get a great bunch of info and articles.

Thanks to everyone concerned.
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote