ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1s and ZR-1 Parts For Sale/Wanted

Old 12-21-2020   #81
bowtiguy

Default Re: FS: 1991 Chevrolet ZR-1 NCRS Top Flight (99.5%) survivor. 9894 miles

Marty, I agree with you 100%. Life ( Covid limitations & required business adaptations) kept me from moving forward with listing the car somewhere other than here and the corvette forum. Pretty limited "exposure" for sure.

Now that I'm back to regular speed, I've had some additional time for new pictures & listing the car. I will be marketing the car to a wider audience after the 1st of the year. One thing is for certain, you wont see it cross an auction block while I own it.

There is one essential mod that I desire but do not have access to with this car. If it wasn't for that one limitation, I would have been driving the car for the past year along with moving ahead with creating my version of the ultimate ZR-1 from an almost perfect car. This color combo has really grown on me.

On a side note, I'm amazed at the number of expert keyboard appraisers out there. This mentality used to be limited to Face Book pages. Its unfortunate to see it has made its way into this group, but maybe its always been there. The ability for users to search sales data from Mecum, Barret-Jackson & BaT only accounts for a 1 in every 7 cars sold, according to Hagertys insured clients.

https://insider.hagerty.com/trends/w...PdPSrXFvh9T7Fg
bowtiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020   #82
spork2367

Default Re: FS: 1991 Chevrolet ZR-1 NCRS Top Flight (99.5%) survivor. 9894 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post
A more accurate quote would be it is not the car that anyone currently on this site, who mostly already own one or more ZR-'s, is looking to buy.
Most buyers of the NCRS / Bloomington Level ZR-1 Corvettes are found through other website ads.
Although our 700 or so members mostly love the car and are quite knowledgeable about them, they are not the only buying pool out there.
To find a buyer for a near perfect higher priced car, one must get it in front of as many eyes as possible until the one person who wants THAT car sees it.
While our membership certainly buys and sells ZR-1's, we are only a small subset of buyers. Ads in NCRS Driveline, Hemmings, and a dozen or more other similar sites attract those who may not know of the Registry, but are looking for a high quality car nonetheless.
Our members "know" the cars very well. Others without such knowledge rely more on Top Flight or Bloomington pedigree achievements to assure them they are buying the real deal.
Same car priced at 20k would sell in a day, 30k maybe a month.
It is worth the asking price to one who demands exactly that kind of car in that condition, and is willing to pay a premium to get what they want.
It takes time and exposure to find them.
Continued luck with the sale!

Marty
I agree completely with that assessment. We really aren't the target audience as most of us already own one or more ZR-1s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtiguy View Post
On a side note, I'm amazed at the number of expert keyboard appraisers out there. This mentality used to be limited to Face Book pages. Its unfortunate to see it has made its way into this group, but maybe its always been there. The ability for users to search sales data from Mecum, Barret-Jackson & BaT only accounts for a 1 in every 7 cars sold, according to Hagertys insured clients.
Sorry if my post came across harsh, but not everyone posting comments is doing so from a total layman's perspective. (Marty for instance).

I've done far more research and gathered more information than most people on here. I've done extensive statistical analysis (which is available on this site). I own more in spare parts than you are asking for your car. So I'm not just some "keyboard appraiser." That being said, venues are more and more readily including chat functions with their online selling platforms to allow questions and comments to be shared. Good and bad. Bring a trailer has developed into a relatively high end auction site where owners pay to list cars and their comments sections are wide open. Gone are the days of selling classic cars in a vacuum. The market is very transparent to all in the technological age. A prime example is Brett's prototype car selling for 75k. If a 1988 prototype (which he likely had 150k+ invested in) sold for 75k, the reality of selling a 1991, no matter how clean, for 37k becomes bleak.

That being said, there is a buyer out there who wants exactly what you have and would be more than willing to pay that price for that exact car. The difficult part is finding them. Best of luck, it truly is an excellent car that you have kept in pristine condition.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020   #83
Erik

I guess I don't see how this car is worth a penny less then the asking price. To me, it's about a perfect looking ZR-1, in my favourite colour, and in a condition that could not be easily duplicated, to say the least. This is pretty damn close to a brand new 1991 ZR-1, which cost over $60k in 1991 dollars. Plus, it needs nothing as is.

When I was buying this summer, I actually thought about this one long and hard. But the Canadian dollar was in the ditch, and it would have cost me over $60k in Canadian money by the time it landed at my door. I admit, this is as close to my dream ZR-1 as possible. I greatly prefer the 1991 styling to the 1990, plus this is my favourite colour. Had the dollar been at par, as it was not too many years ago, I then I would have stretched and made it happen.

I further admit, I don't look at my cars from an investment perspective. If I'd had the money, I'd have bought this exact car new in 1991, and what a lousy investment that would have been. Further, what other car of this caliber could I buy for anything close to this price?

I hope this lovely car goes to a home that will cherish it. It deserves no less.

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020   #84
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I guess I don't see how this car is worth a penny less then the asking price. To me, it's about a perfect looking ZR-1, in my favourite colour, and in a condition that could not be easily duplicated, to say the least. This is pretty damn close to a brand new 1991 ZR-1, which cost over $60k in 1991 dollars. Plus, it needs nothing as is.

When I was buying this summer, I actually thought about this one long and hard. But the Canadian dollar was in the ditch, and it would have cost me over $60k in Canadian money by the time it landed at my door. I admit, this is as close to my dream ZR-1 as possible. I greatly prefer the 1991 styling to the 1990, plus this is my favourite colour. Had the dollar been at par, as it was not too many years ago, I then I would have stretched and made it happen.

I further admit, I don't look at my cars from an investment perspective. If I'd had the money, I'd have bought this exact car new in 1991, and what a lousy investment that would have been. Further, what other car of this caliber could I buy for anything close to this price?

I hope this lovely car goes to a home that will cherish it. It deserves no less.
Well said Erik. I am surprised you simply didn't move to the US and buy the car! As I have told Mike previously, he has a spectacular car that is worth every penny of his asking price. While there are many potential ZR-1 buyers out there, many are constrained financially and can't -- or simply won't -- pay up for the best. But there are people out there who want one, are patient and wait to find exactly what they want. These cars are normally not good financial investments but are amazing to own and drive. When I bought my 1995 in 2012, I paid up a bit for it ($27,000 back then) because it was exactly what I wanted, low miles, two owners, right color,etc. I knew it needed some work and when it arrived I shipped it directly to Marc for a complete servicing. I later had him do his 510HP package. The car was not NCRS worthy but in extremely good condition and a hoot to drive; I put 12,000 miles on it in four summers. I sold it in February 2016 in order to get my Z06 (with some regret I must say). I sold it for $37,000 to a happy buyer who recognized what I had for sale. Of course, I lost about $20k over my ownership so it cost me about $5k a year for the enjoyment of owning that ZR-1. For me it was worth it. Cars depreciate and I am sure my Z06 has also lost $20k of value in my four years of ownership but like the ZR-1, it is a lot of fun to have and drive. Naturally, though, my wife does not have any information on the financial aspects of my cars!--Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Last edited by WARP TEN; 12-22-2020 at 11:07 AM.
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021   #85
bowtiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
Well said Erik. I am surprised you simply didn't move to the US and buy the car! As I have told Mike previously, he has a spectacular car that is worth every penny of his asking price.--Bob
Thank you gentleman. I appreciate the comments and encouragements on the car. As I've stated before, I'm not a flipper and I finished this car to own forever. Problem is, I'm like the rest of you and like to modify/peronalize my cars and I felt this one was too clean & original to do so. If the new owner decides to, thats on him/her ...not me.

I had a very nice conversation with Marty about this time last year. If there is anyone who has a FIRM grasp on the value of car like this and nicer, its him. Just take a look at his current inventory, He was down to one Z car last I checked.

The first good Z sale started with the red 90' at BJ Scotsdale 2019'. Plenty of good sales since and recently ( and I'm sure plenty of good private sales as well).

I hope the value of these cars climb as they come into their own, but I also see the value in driving them. A pleasure I did not get much of with this car, but I will with the ZR-1 that will replace it.

For those that are following this thread but were unaware. The car is listed on Hemmings auctions and ends this coming friday.

https://www.hemmings.com/auction/199...let-corvette-1
Old 02-13-2021   #86
bowtiguy

Update: the car has been sold. It is staying local and going to a good friend of mine who I sold my 29K mile 84' 1 owner car to a couple of years back.

Thanks to the those who reached out with support & advice in PM's and here on the thread while the car was listed, especially Marty.

To address the white elephant in the room....While the car did not meet reserve during the alotted auction time frame, it did plus some after auction close. I would have to agree with Marty that the drought is over for certain ZR-1's.

As for me, I'm anxious for its replacement to arrive and I'm hopefull the gathering will happen this year as I have yet to meet most of you OR see the NCM in person. -=MIke