ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-14-2021   #1
wfot

Default Aaron Scott has returned to the fold

I wanted to share some good news.

Aaron Scott is back. He is a good dude, very helpful. He is setting up his shop and getting some new equipment ready, but he is back and doing work on c4, c5,c6 & c7s and of course the LT5s.
Specific to us, he has a decent supply of original, unground, GM LT5 cams ready to go, these blanks were bought from lingenfelter whom bought them from GM. As I understand it, 2 sets are ready for grinding and there may be as many as 15 more sets that would need to be hardened then ground. Specs are:
Stage 1 - he can do stage 1 on stock cams or his original GM blanks. They will drop in, no valve lash issues
For 350-368 CU IN engines
Intake cam = 228 deg dur @.050 and .416 lift on both prim/sec lobes
Exhaust cam = 228 deg dur @.050 and .416 lift on both prim/sec lobes

Stage 2 cams can be cut on stock cams, however the base circle will be small enough that a lash cap on the valve tip will be needed to get the correct lifter preload. Of course Stage 2 cams can be cut on the GM cores and they will have the correct base circle and will drop in with no other issues.
For 358-415 CU IN engines
Intake cam = 236 deg dur @.050 and .440 lift on both prim/sec lobes
Exhaust cam = 236 deg dur @.050 and .440 lift on both prim/sec lobes
Stage 3 cams can only be ground on the GM original cores he has. The stock cam lobes are too small to cut the stage 3 lobes.
For 358-415 CU IN engines
Intake cam = 242 deg dur @.050 and .450 lift on both prim/sec lobes
Exhaust cam = 242 deg dur @.050 and .450 lift on both prim/sec lobes

They are machined to use either the single or double flat vanier timing plates.

The cost for a set of original blanks to be cut, any stage combination, is $3,800. For the 2 sets he has already hardened, the turnaround time for the cam grinder is 2 weeks. The regrinds are $1,300.

He can be reached at (229)224-2919

Good luck my friend J

John

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\c lip_image002.png[/IMG]

Last edited by wfot; 01-19-2021 at 06:48 PM.
wfot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021   #2
tpepmeie

Default Re: Aaron Scott has returned to the fold

Great news about Aaron.

Also great that he has chill cast iron cores. The profiles are a bit small, though

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[email]pepmeierengines@yahoo.com[/email]

[URL="http://toddpepmeier.wix.com/pepmeierengines"]visit our website[/URL]

[URL="http://pepmeierenginedevelopment.blogspot.com/"]Blog[/URL]

Friend us on Facebook too: [url="https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011443683384"] Pepmeier Engine Development[/url]
tpepmeie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021   #3
Fully Vetted

What kind of power increase can be expected with the stage one cams? I'm at 430 to the wheels right now.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021   #4
wfot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
What kind of power increase can be expected with the stage one cams? I'm at 430 to the wheels right now.
Talked to Aaron, he is not a big fan of the interwebs, so emails/posting is not going to happen, call him...

Here is what to expect, but keep in mind that if you make a major change like cams, any stage, the car will need a tune to get the best results. There are many factors that affect the cam's end HP number: headers, porting, exhaust, the tune, cam timing... with that said;

Stage 1 should see 25+ hp
Stage 2 should see 45+ hp
Stage 3 should see 60+ hp

This will also move the torque/hp up in the RPMs a little compared to stock, however, there is little impact on driveability with stage 1s and stage 2s. stage 3s will need more tuning to get a smooth idle/driveability.

If I read the list of mods to your ZR1 correctly, I do not see you have ported your intake/housings. Corey seems to be one of the best tuners out there. Porting is almost vital for the LT5, they like it.. a lot. Without porting, I would guess 20hp, with porting I would imagine a full 30hp. But keep in mind this is not just 30 at one spot, you will notice a much stronger pull almost everywhere.

I personally like the secondary delete, quicker throttle response, IMO.

John

Last edited by wfot; 01-19-2021 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-19-2021   #5
Corvette95

Aaron did all the work on my 7k mile 95. It wasn't cheap, took and long time and man was I HAPPY! Aaron is a great dude. He had more work than he could do back in the day. He will answer phone during working hours...email or after hours....nope (not back then anyway) . He had yearly gatherings with BBQ, professional photographers and models (not kidding) to pose with the cars!! Plus, if you trailer your car their , you are less than an hour from multiple beaches...great excuse to tell your wife for the excursion to South Georgia!!!
1989 C4 Conv Wht/Red Auto SOLD
1996 C4 Conv Black/Tan Auto SOLD
1994 C4 Coupe Wht/Blk SOLD
1995 C4 ZR-1 White/Gry #278 Dual Dunn Head SOLD
1986 C4 Coupe Black/Red 4+3 SOLD
1990 C4 ZR-1 Red/Red #0454
Corvette95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021   #6
Corvette95

I saw a message earlier about cams, this is not my area, but I know, as I saw them with my own eyes less than 60 days ago, a pallet of unground LT5 cams rusted and un- used..I really didn't think they had value. Probably 200 of them. Would they be valuable unground and rusted? Still on GM crate.
Old 01-19-2021   #7
Demps

Stage 1 cams as timed on my SGC 350 have what I've determined is too much 'exhaust'. Pulls like a freight train till 6,500 rpms then checks out.

Stage 1ish intake with a little more (maybe) than stock exhaust on a ported 350 is MONEY!

Ted
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021   #8
wfot

I am happy for the positive feedback on Aaron, he has good ideas and does some impressive work. He knows a lot of inside people who worked for GM/Lotus/lingenfelter and has used his knowledge to develop the his cams and engine packages.

Corvette95: Good to know that you actually had eyes on the cams. Story is that back in the day when lingenfelter was heavy into the LT5s, GM had a pallet of extra blank unground cams after they stopped LT5 production. Lingenfelter bought them straight from GM to use for his inventory. As lingenfelter moved onto the next and newest, the pallet sat there rusting in the GM crates. Aaron bought them, from Lingenfelter in the late 90s and they have been with him since then. They are unground waiting for one of the 3 lobes Aaron designed after they are induction hardened. This removes all contaminates off of the surface of the lobe. Little known fact, each set of cams ground requires an extra sacrificial cam to be able to get the induction gardening correct?

I have a set of Stage III's being ground as you read this. I expect top tier parts/craftsmanship, if there is something a miss at the Circle K, I will post that too.

John

Last edited by wfot; 01-19-2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-19-2021   #9
Corvette95

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfot View Post
I was so focused on getting the cam specs correct, I forgot to include the intended CID ranges, I updated my original post to reflect same.

Stage 1 for 350-368 CID
Stage 2 for 368-415 CID
Stage 3 for 368-415 CID
They also are machined to use both/either the 90-92 and/or the 93-95 vanier timing plates.

I am happy for the positive feedback on Aaron, he has good ideas and does some impressive work. He knows a lot of inside people who worked for GM/Lotus/lingenfelter and has put his knowledge to develop the his cams and engine packages.

Corvette95: Good to know that you actually had eyes on the cams. Story is that back in the day when lingenfelter was heavy into the LT5s, GM had a pallet of extra blank unground cams after they stopped LT5 production. Lingenfelter bought them straight from GM to use for his inventory. As lingenfelter moved onto the next and newest, the pallet sat there rusting in the GM crates. Aaron bought them, from Lingenfelter in the late 90s and they have been with him since then. They are unground waiting for one of the 3 lobes Aaron designed after they are induction hardened. This removes all contaminates off of the surface of the lobe. Little known fact, each set of cams ground requires an extra sacrificial cam to be able to get the induction gardening correct?

I have a set of Stage III?s being ground as you read this. I expect top tier parts/craftsmanship, if there is something a miss at the Circle K, I will post that too.

John
To clarify, the pallet of cams I saw ARE NOT at Aarons, this is a whole other pile of unground cams, they are going to waste where they are at.
Old 01-20-2021   #10
Fully Vetted

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfot View Post
Talked to Aaron, he is not a big fan of the interwebs, so emails/posting is not going to happen, call him...

Here is what to expect, but keep in mind that if you make a major change like cams, any stage, the car will need a tune to get the best results. There are many factors that affect the cam's end HP number: headers, porting, exhaust, the tune, cam timing... with that said;

Stage 1 should see 25+ hp
Stage 2 should see 45+ hp
Stage 3 should see 60+ hp

This will also move the torque/hp up in the RPMs a little compared to stock, however, there is little impact on driveability with stage 1s and stage 2s. stage 3s will need more tuning to get a smooth idle/driveability.

If I read the list of mods to your ZR1 correctly, I do not see you have ported your intake/housings. Corey seems to be one of the best tuners out there. Porting is almost vital for the LT5, they like it.. a lot. Without porting, I would guess 20hp, with porting I would imagine a full 30hp. But keep in mind this is not just 30 at one spot, you will notice a much stronger pull almost everywhere.

I personally like the secondary delete, quicker throttle response, IMO.

John
Yes, Pete ported my heads and intake and I've got SW headers so it sounds like I should see 30+. Something to think about. It's kind of strange knowing my F150 Limited has more power than my ZR-1. Not reason enough to do it but a little more power is always a good thing.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote