ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-07-2015   #21
gbrtng

Default Re: Help! no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1North View Post
I know that the bypass jumpers, intermediate relays, etc. have worked for others - at least for a while. I tried all those fixes and had short-to -medium-term success, but I did not get total resolution until I had Marc replace the starter with the more robust solenoid. I removed all the "other fixes" once the new starter/solenoid was installed about 10,000 miles/five years ago, and I've had no problems since. I initially encountered the no-start at about 21,000 miles. I am sure Marc would provide the details re the solenoid if asked.
BINGO - best to isolate the problem before throwing parts at it.
Starter, starter solenoid, clutch safety switch are all possibles. A clamp-on DC ammeter can be used to measure the starter solenoid current at the clutch safety switch - there should be about (roundhouse guess) 10 to 20 amps and the solenoid should click in. If not, the solenoid may be heat-soaked and locked open = no current to the starter. Wait for a few hours to cool down and try again - if the solenoid operates and no starter action, the starter needs to be rebuilt. Pretty simple ...
Old 06-08-2015   #22
Racinfan83

Hoping I don't have to go that far...
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #23
Z51JEFF

I've got the no start issue right now and I'm doing to switch bypass.I have an NOS switch and would like to replace it but the thing is buried and I don't have the patience to fight this thing. As far as somebody trying to find a new OEM switch they just aren't out there. KEEN CORVETTE PARTS was having these reproduced and they might have them done by now. In the past I did run a second ground from the starter relay but that didn't fix anything. I did have a second switch I sold to somebody last year,I might give him a call and see if he ever installed it.

Last edited by Z51JEFF; 06-28-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #24
rhipsher

Time for a new starter.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015   #25
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
Time for a new starter....Variety is the spice of life!
Me too! -- Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015   #26
Racinfan83

Car sat for a week in garage. Checked battery with multimeter and it was at 11.94 volts. PO didn't mark the date on the battery that was in there so no idea how old it was. So there is a new Interstate battery going in it. I also got a relay, and made up the wires to do the above mentioned bypass relay. Hopefully I will have that all done tomorrow. I also got plenum gaskets from Jerry so if I have another issue I can pull the starter and clean the solenoid.
Thanks to all for your help!
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 06-11-2015   #27
Racinfan83

Yeah Dyno I've been looking at that. If I do it I will probably shoot you a PM beforehand. I'm gonna try doing the rest and hope it works for now due to time constraints. I made up the wires for the relay earlier this week, crimped, soldered, and heat shrink tubing over the connections. I have the ground wire mounted, and got the battery tonite before my Corvette Club meeting. Should be rolling again by tomorrow pm. Of course I'm taking my time, as I show the car - so I clean everything as I get to it..lol

PS - and I would love to meet the idiot engineer who put that bolt in the slot on the bottom of the side panel so you have to jam a wrench in there and worry about chipping the paint. Coulda put it the other way so you could get it from the top... SMH...
Old 06-12-2015   #28
Racinfan83

New battery is in, relay is in, started right up!
I guess I must have wired it right..LOL Got the tender on it now to get a full charge on the new battery - but it fired right up even before charging it. Hopefully the end of my issue. Although I have a set of plenum gaskets just in case I have to go starter digging...
Old 06-12-2015   #29
Blownrunner

Vats? I needed to replace my ignition key, also installed an emergency bypass.
Blownrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015   #30
Racinfan83

Pretty sure it wasn't VATS. 20k miles on the car and I had the second key that came with the car (that I don't think had ever been used) and it didn't work either. I think I had a combo pack of an old battery, and possibly a clutch switch starting to go bad. If it does it again - I go diggin for the starter...