95 BMW 850csi
94 Lotus Esprit S4
07 Benz CLS550
06 BMW M5 "SOLD"
G8nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #12
JasonWal

Default Re: New to corvettes.

So.. after further research, I found that the vin of a non zr1 starts with 1G1YY. A zr1 starts with 1G1YZ

Mine is not a zr1.

I appreciate you guys bringing this to my attention, I guess all that's left is.. now what? Should I engine swap to the 572 chevy big block like was mentioned above??
JasonWal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #13
Vette73

Hmm....Sounded a little too good to be true....Anyway,make sure the car is fundamentally safe meaning,check brakes,tires,cooling system, fluids etc etc....Do the body work than you can add bolt ons ( headers,Heads and cam ) if you choose ...When done you should have basically what your looking for....

A 572 sounds tempting but with a motor of that power you have to make sure the rear and tranny can support that much torque....Weight I'm guessing is also a factor with that big block so a beefed up front suspension may be in order..
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #14
We Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWal View Post
So.. after further research, I found that the vin of a non zr1 starts with 1G1YY. A zr1 starts with 1G1YZ

Mine is not a zr1.

I appreciate you guys bringing this to my attention, I guess all that's left is.. now what? Should I engine swap to the 572 chevy big block like was mentioned above??
One look under the hood and you would have known. Still sounds like a good deal. Have fun and enjoy.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #15
JasonWal

You make a really good point. A few really good points.
And honestly, I don't need 700+ hp. 400 will do me just fine with all the mods I end up doing.

As disappointed as I am that it's not a zr1, it's at least relieving to know where I stand for sure and where I can go with it. I never wanted a drag strip car, just a fun weekend car.

Again I appreciate all the straight forward support you all offered.
Old 04-20-2017   #16
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Best of luck and ENJOY your new car!

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #17
WARP TEN

I certainly hope it is a real ZR-1, although at $3k that is a good price for a regular C4. Some pictures of the car and engine would be a big help and then the good folks here can provide some guidance. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #18
USAFPILOT

LSX!
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #19
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Back when I had my 95 LT1 Vette, I spoke with Lloyd Elliot about porting and cam work. The porting and a Chevy "Hot Cam" was a formula he had put together, and with long tube headers claimed 425 HP was "the package".

The price tag, if I recall, was in the $2500 range. If not mistaken, the Hot Cam has a 9º LSA which will give it a bit of a lope, and still be able to run the A/C in traffic! That said, lots of "LSx" swaps are being done on these cars. Lots of guys here can talk from experience - just ask um!

The body of the Corvette is fiberglass with a special resin - aka "SMC". Repairing the damage can be done in a good body shop - familiar with Corvettes (and SMC). OR, you can talk to someone from auto body supply store (supplier of the "stuff" collision repair shops use: e.g., Arnie's Auto Body Supply, Inc 815-726-6106 can answer all your questions and make good recommendations regarding restoring your panels).

After you fix the body, then chances are you're going to need to paint it...ALL of it. $10k is not out of line for a complete 'turn-key' paint job, minus the labor you do yourself. If you do the labor, the out of pocket for materials (body repair stuff + paint) may come close to $2500.

The car cost you $3000, and with a turn-key, including body repairs and painting, you'll have in the neighborhood of $13,000-$15,000 invested. This is why "minor" body damage results in insurance companies totaling these cars: $9500 will get you a very nice car.

So, I hope you can do most of the work yourself. Speaking from experience, having crumpled the nose and hood of my ZR-1, I and a friend (mostly Brett, my friend), replacing those parts and then prepping the car for the paint shop, the "butcher's bill" came in approx. $5500; would have been another $2k if I'd opted to change the color to something else [door jams, etc].

I hope you DO opt to do the work yourself. The education you gain will be priceless - to the point of even making you some $$$ on the side, or a career even!

Best of luck. I've been there, done that (restoration) projects at your age, and the knowledge has served me well for 45 years now! (45 years...SHEESH!)

PS: You're welcome to be here - the ZR-1 Registry site. You'll learn a lot about these special C4s. And, as for what happens when you "put your foot in it", that LT1 experience will feel like a "hot water 6 cylinder" compared to the LT5...leave alone a fully ported LT5! However, you might want to also link to the Corvette Forum's base C4 section for info on the LSx swaps - Good luck!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 04-20-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017   #20
JasonWal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Back when I had my 95 LT1 Vette, I spoke with Lloyd Elliot about porting and cam work. The porting and a Chevy "Hot Cam" was a formula he had put together, and with long tube headers claimed 425 HP was "the package".

The price tag, if I recall, was in the $2500 range. If not mistaken, the Hot Cam has a 9º LSA which will give it a bit of a lope, and still be able to run the A/C in traffic! That said, lots of "LSx" swaps are being done on these cars. Lots of guys here can talk from experience - just ask um!

The body of the Corvette is fiberglass with a special resin - aka "SMC". Repairing the damage can be done in a good body shop - familiar with Corvettes (and SMC). OR, you can talk to someone from auto body supply store (supplier of the "stuff" collision repair shops use: e.g., Arnie's Auto Body Supply, Inc 815-726-6106 can answer all your questions and make good recommendations regarding restoring your panels).

After you fix the body, then chances are you're going to need to paint it...ALL of it. $10k is not out of line for a complete 'turn-key' paint job, minus the labor you do yourself. If you do the labor, the out of pocket for materials (body repair stuff + paint) may come close to $2500.

The car cost you $3000, and with a turn-key, including body repairs and painting, you'll have in the neighborhood of $13,000-$15,000 invested. This is why "minor" body damage results in insurance companies totaling these cars: $9500 will get you a very nice car.

So, I hope you can do most of the work yourself. Speaking from experience, having crumpled the nose and hood of my ZR-1, I and a friend (mostly Brett, my friend), replacing those parts and then prepping the car for the paint shop, the "butcher's bill" came in approx. $5500; would have been another $2k if I'd opted to change the color to something else [door jams, etc].

I hope you DO opt to do the work yourself. The education you gain will be priceless - to the point of even making you some $$$ on the side, or a career even!

Best of luck. I've been there, done that (restoration) projects at your age, and the knowledge has served me well for 45 years now! (45 years...SHEESH!)

PS: You're welcome to be here - the ZR-1 Registry site. You'll learn a lot about these special C4s. And, as for what happens when you "put your foot in it", that LT1 experience will feel like a "hot water 6 cylinder" compared to the LT5...leave alone a fully ported LT5! However, you might want to also link to the Corvette Forum's base C4 section for info on the LSx swaps - Good luck!

The first dawnings of realization have finally hit me as to just how much time/work/money/blood/sweat will be required as a sacrifice towards making this car truly great. It's a daunting task for a grunt in the army, anywhere between 10-25 grand... but it's a matter of pride at this point. And like I've always been told, we're only as good as the challenges we overcome.
Challenge accepted.

And also I see why you're all such die hard gear heads. Much respect. And thanks in advance for all help provided.

Tags
advice, build, cam, mod