ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-14-2015   #81
LGAFF

Default Re: Frankenplenum

Pete if you read up on the car, they actually state the intake change gained 15RWHP over the prior test

**if you are saying its doesn't prove adding to the top vs bottom adds HP; I would agree you cannot tie the gain back to where the volume was added
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359

Last edited by LGAFF; 03-14-2015 at 09:01 PM.
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015   #82
NVMYRC51

So I see that somebody mentioned a 3D printer. I don't know that much about them but is that, or maybe in the near future, a possibility? I was thinking more for a weight savings and possibly straightening out lines etc? Any thoughts?
NVMYRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015   #83
rkreigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVMYRC51 View Post
So I see that somebody mentioned a 3D printer. I don't know that much about them but is that, or maybe in the near future, a possibility? I was thinking more for a weight savings and possibly straightening out lines etc? Any thoughts?

the 3d printing with the right materials is what makes a cross ram style manifold even more appealing.

or fab up some short oval "adaptors" and buy the obx

it would be much better to "print" the adaptor as you could get exactly the shape and port contour you want to transition from the round throttle body to the lt5 head shape what would really be cool is to retain that shape like the "mono runner" modified manifolds and use an oval throttle body for EACH of the runners

for now the obx with a custom fabbed "base" would work if you are willing to go with a Toledo pro hood for clearance

I believe the throttle response would be glorious but hard to control

with the little tiny primary on the LT5 I've always felt like the engine would benefit from having that hole ported too and I really like the "goggle valve" secondary as it seems it would reduce a lot of turbulence and promote better intake filling

anyone handy with a 3d printer? I might mock it up with balsa blocks to get the shape

as soon as I saw that OBX cross ram pictured in the early thread the gears started turning.

don't know if I'll make it to BG or not, just got a new job, but I hope to.

let me know if there are any last minute rooms!
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015   #84
rptech

So I found this post very appealing. I own several commercial 3D printers, and ironically just finished 3 different intakes for a race teams big block chevy. What I usually do on something like this is scan the existing manifold (Reverse engineer). This gives me CAD data of the of all the factory geometry. For those of you that are not familiar with the design engineering world, this basically means I now have the factory manifold digitally recreated on my computer screen in 3D. I can then manipulate the design, building off the existing port geometry to create the new plenum and runners.
From my new CAD model, I can then do a CFD analysis to see how well it flows in the virtual world. This eliminates the cost of just blindly making parts until you find a design that works. We find all those gains/deficiencies on the computer before we build a physical part. From here I now send this data to my rapid prototype machine, or 3D printer as they are called by most people now, and print my new manifold out in plastic (FDM). These can then be mounted, and ran on a dyno. The ABS plastic usually does not last long though due to deformation from the heat. They do however last long enough for the testing required to validate our virtual data results.
Once the design is optimized, the plastic prototype can be used to create an aluminum casting for a permanent part. OR, hold onto your shorts, we can now actually print out these permanent parts in all kinds of different metals (DMLS) that are as strong as what would be manufactured using the traditional casting methods that created what came on your car. It is amazing what we can do these days. The technology is mind blowing.
Sorry to bore everybody this early in the morning- was anybody able to stay awake for that long boring dissertation? LOL
[COLOR=slategray][B]1965 Corvette convertible 327/365hp[/B]
[B]1970 Corvette LS5 convertible[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=slategray][B]1972 Corvette 350/300hp[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=slategray][B]1990 ZR1 #788[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=slategray][B]1991 ZR-1[/B][/COLOR]
rptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015   #85
LGAFF

So when are you printing the lid for my plenumLOL
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015   #86
rptech

I replied via private message.
[COLOR=slategray][B]1965 Corvette convertible 327/365hp[/B]
[B]1970 Corvette LS5 convertible[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=slategray][B]1972 Corvette 350/300hp[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=slategray][B]1990 ZR1 #788[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=slategray][B]1991 ZR-1[/B][/COLOR]
rptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015   #87
FU

I (we) need to look into this plenum idea , 441 inches needs more intake than it's getting now

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015   #88
XfireZ51

Not boring at all! This is exciting stuff that opens up some new avenues.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015   #89
batchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rptech View Post
hold onto your shorts, we can now actually print out these permanent parts in all kinds of different metals (DMLS) that are as strong as what would be manufactured using the traditional casting methods
Whoa. Rapid Prototyping directly in Metal. The world just changed.

Not boring!
- Jeff
[I]91 ZR-1 #1840, autocrossing in SCCA BSP. FIC S/S's
DRM chip/Watson/Borla/lid/LW batt&headlights,
springs, shocks, pads & lines, quick rack & Turn One,
camber brace, 32/22mm sways, A/C halfway deleted
17x11 & 12 CCW's, 315 & 335 Hoosier A6s

[/I]
batchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015   #90
cvette98pacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rptech View Post
So I found this post very appealing. I own several commercial 3D printers, and ironically just finished 3 different intakes for a race teams big block chevy. What I usually do on something like this is scan the existing manifold (Reverse engineer). This gives me CAD data of the of all the factory geometry. For those of you that are not familiar with the design engineering world, this basically means I now have the factory manifold digitally recreated on my computer screen in 3D. I can then manipulate the design, building off the existing port geometry to create the new plenum and runners.
From my new CAD model, I can then do a CFD analysis to see how well it flows in the virtual world. This eliminates the cost of just blindly making parts until you find a design that works. We find all those gains/deficiencies on the computer before we build a physical part. From here I now send this data to my rapid prototype machine, or 3D printer as they are called by most people now, and print my new manifold out in plastic (FDM). These can then be mounted, and ran on a dyno. The ABS plastic usually does not last long though due to deformation from the heat. They do however last long enough for the testing required to validate our virtual data results.
Once the design is optimized, the plastic prototype can be used to create an aluminum casting for a permanent part. OR, hold onto your shorts, we can now actually print out these permanent parts in all kinds of different metals (DMLS) that are as strong as what would be manufactured using the traditional casting methods that created what came on your car. It is amazing what we can do these days. The technology is mind blowing.
Sorry to bore everybody this early in the morning- was anybody able to stay awake for that long boring dissertation? LOL
I have a Simese plenum and IH if you need to use it for scanning.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote