ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Corvette > Corvette Technical Questions

Old 02-07-2008   #11
Jeffvette

Default Re: "Water Wetter" Truth or fiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin ryan
, basically WW kills bubbles, in a nut shell. the wild claims of 30°-40° drop in temperature are just that...wild. it's good stuff, just don't expect too much.

So for shits and giggles, put a pot on the stove filled with distilled water, raise the temp to 180 degrees then pour in some WW. Does the temp change?
Old 02-07-2008   #12
Jagdpanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradslt5
wait untill you get a phil nekro knuckle ball
Phil's and Joe's spitters were even better
Those were the good old days.
Don't see those kind pitchers anymore in the majors.
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #13
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffvette
So for shits and giggles, put a pot on the stove filled with distilled water, raise the temp to 180 degrees then pour in some WW. Does the temp change?
I don't think that is what they are claiming it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Fact: Coolant temperature is an indirect method of determining engine heat: the temperature of the engine surfaces is the "real deal", but because we're so familiar with engine temp in terms of standard water coolant temp characterisitics, we take it for granted. The point is, if it ain't a well known comodity, i.e. "water" (50/50 antifreeze), then all bets are off as to actual engine metal temp/ effectiveness in the presence of an unknown coolant. My point is, colant temp changes claimed by the makers of the WW is not proof of better cooling, due to the fact measuring coolant temp is an indirect measurement of engine surfaces.
Well, if you have the same engine, the engine heat is the same. So if you change the coolant, unknown or not, and the engine that outputs the same heat heats the coolant up less, isn't it fairly safe to say the coolant transfers heat more efficiently? Unless your concern is that the coolant maybe doesn't transfer heat at all, and so it is fairly cool even though the engine is burning up?

It's a well-known fact, not unknown, that 100% water has more specific heat than 50% water/50% ethelyne glycol. So presumably if water wetter lets you safely run almost 100% water (3 gallons of water, 12 ounces of WW or whatever) then your cooling system will be more efficient.

I've never used the stuff though. The main reason is that I've never needed to. My Z can maintain it's desired temperature just fine. I've never had it happen that the fans kicking on could not bring the temperature down. So the heat transfer ability of the coolant is not a problem. And 50/50 coolant has a huge body of data surrounding it in terms of its affect on engine life, water pump life, etc. There is little risk in using it. Water Wetter on the other hand, who knows. Plus, Water Wetter, as you are only using a small amount, couldn't possibly alter the freezing or boiling points of the water as much as a 50% additive could. And I drive my car year 'round. So using 50/50 coolant is a no-brainer.

If you are having some issue with cooling capability, I would suggest troubleshooting the system and fixing the issue rather than changing coolants as the initial approach.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #14
bradslt5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffvette
I agre with the idea to a point . to be fair wouldnt the system have to be a closed test. like in a pressure cooker to give the test a condition like an engine cooling system . if you just put it in anopen container like a pot on a stove evaporation would not give the test a fair comparison . jmho
bradslt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #15
cuisinartvette

I noticed 0 difference except a lighter wallet. Drained the stuff out and put coolant back in.