ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-13-2020   #21
Jagdpanzer

Default Re: So... this was in my oil drain pan...

If it came out of the aft end of camshaft I don't think you would see much influence on the oil pressure gauge. The camshaft oil feed is through a small orificed drilling to one of the cam journals. Oil is then distributed to the other cam journals via the cam rifle drilling.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020   #22
Jagdpanzer

Also, the aft end of the cam is very close to the cam cover sealing plug. Imagine if the plug backed out it would have left some damage behind on the sealing plug.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020   #23
Locobob

It's possible it came from a head... or somewhere else... although its path into the oil pan below the windage tray remains in question.

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020   #24
Locobob

I think it being just a sensor issue is unlikely as the drop in oil pressure corresponded with a rise in oil temperature.

Old 12-14-2020   #25
Locobob

Got a package from Jerry today... and welp... its not a crank plug. The plug I found in the drain pan is .525 across the threads and the new crankshaft plug I got from Jerry is about .662 across the threads. So I can rule that one out

Last edited by Locobob; 12-14-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-14-2020   #26
wfot

I do not know if this is applicable here on your specific engine, your profile shows a LPE 368, I believe that the 368 motors use a stock crank, if I am not mistaken. if that is even the engine in question.

However,

I was looking over my build in process for an answer, I have a bryant crank, specifically made for LPE, it has .525 threaded plugs on all rod journals... except the second from the snout, that one is a little larger.

Again I think you have a stock crank and the rod journals should be plugs, but if LPE modified it, it may have been done in the same fashion as mine, assuming that it did not come from bryant this way. might be worth a call to LPE to see if they may have some insight on it. just a thought since this seems to be vexing a lot of really knowledgeable minds right now. I figured this info would not hurt..

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1949.jpg (137.7 KB, 36 views)
wfot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020   #27
Locobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfot View Post
I do not know if this is applicable here on your specific engine, your profile shows a LPE 368, I believe that the 368 motors use a stock crank, if I am not mistaken. if that is even the engine in question.

However,

I was looking over my build in process for an answer, I have a bryant crank, specifically made for LPE, it has .525 threaded plugs on all rod journals... except the second from the snout, that one is a little larger.

Again I think you have a stock crank and the rod journals should be plugs, but if LPE modified it, it may have been done in the same fashion as mine, assuming that it did not come from bryant this way. might be worth a call to LPE to see if they may have some insight on it. just a thought since this seems to be vexing a lot of really knowledgeable minds right now. I figured this info would not hurt..

John
Yeah its a 368 with a stock crank shaft so the plugs should be stock. I can't think of a scenario where LPE would put a smaller plug in as that would require the plug to be installed in a bushing which makes no sense at all. I'm a little jealous of your bryant crank... cube envy

Old 12-15-2020   #28
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locobob View Post
Got a package from Jerry today... and welp... its not a crank plug. The plug I found in the drain pan is .525 across the threads and the new crankshaft plug I got from Jerry is about .662 across the threads. So I can rule that one out
I think the one you have is a 1/4" NPT plug. These are used in the rear of the camshafts. Its a tapered thread, smaller on the end, bigger towards the top. In the middle of the plug threads, it would measure abt 0.532" on the thread o.d.

I have heard of new, aftermarket, new & reground camshafts being installed without the plug. I have not heard of one coming out, but would bet this is what you found. If you are lucky, you will pull the correct cam cover first!

A spec plug like this would be abt 0.405" long.

My money is on the rear cam plug.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020   #29
wfot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locobob View Post
Yeah its a 368 with a stock crank shaft so the plugs should be stock. I can't think of a scenario where LPE would put a smaller plug in as that would require the plug to be installed in a bushing which makes no sense at all. I'm a little jealous of your bryant crank... cube envy
Haha Rob,

I wish there was a way to see it with the engine IN the car, it is such a rare thing, it has a hand stamped number in the front journal... called bryant.. they pulled the build card on it and told me its whole story on it. great company. they told me it was good for 1,500 hp and 12,000 rpm. of course he added that one has not actually broke yet, so those numbers could be higher as blocks/rods fail first.

John
wfot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020   #30
Locobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
I think the one you have is a 1/4" NPT plug. These are used in the rear of the camshafts. Its a tapered thread, smaller on the end, bigger towards the top. In the middle of the plug threads, it would measure abt 0.532" on the thread o.d.

I have heard of new, aftermarket, new & reground camshafts being installed without the plug. I have not heard of one coming out, but would bet this is what you found. If you are lucky, you will pull the correct cam cover first!

A spec plug like this would be abt 0.405" long.

My money is on the rear cam plug.
It does match those dimensions and it is NPT, it screwed right into the back of one of my air tools... although its path into the bottom of the oil pan remains a head scratcher. If it is a camshaft oil plug how big a deal is this? Oil pressure is still within minimum spec, am I looking at a rapid wear issue?

Last edited by Locobob; 12-16-2020 at 02:40 PM.