ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-04-2014   #311
cvette98pacecar

Default Re: Locobob's Interior Mod Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locobob View Post
I talked to Dr. Don today. Basically he said my best bet was to either try a power line noise filter or go full aftermarket. He was pretty leery of the capacitor on the alternator idea.
On my LPE I am going full aftermarket. I am going to try and figure a way additional speakers as the current configuration is horrible. When I am driving long distances I have a habit of putting my left calve over the front speaker.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #312
Locobob

I'm kinda favoring just building a really good aftermarket system at this point, my main issue with that (besides being expensive) is trying to find a good spot for an amp or amps. Looking at putting an 8in sub in the drivers side rear storage bin so no room for an amp there. I could put something in the passenger side rear storage but I don't want to clutter it up too much, like to keep at least some storage space there. Wouldn't mind putting an amp at the very bottom of the bin but its only 8x8 and about 3 1/2in tall. Not finding much that fits in that space. Also concerned with heat, amps tend to get hot so I don't want to pack one in somewhere only to have it get cooked. Guess thats the nice thing about the independent Bose amps, they don't kill your interior space.

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #313
cvette98pacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locobob View Post
I'm kinda favoring just building a really good aftermarket system at this point, my main issue with that (besides being expensive) is trying to find a good spot for an amp or amps. Looking at putting an 8in sub in the drivers side rear storage bin so no room for an amp there. I could put something in the passenger side rear storage but I don't want to clutter it up too much, like to keep at least some storage space there. Wouldn't mind putting an amp at the very bottom of the bin but its only 8x8 and about 3 1/2in tall. Not finding much that fits in that space. Also concerned with heat, amps tend to get hot so I don't want to pack one in somewhere only to have it get cooked. Guess thats the nice thing about the independent Bose amps, they don't kill your interior space.
Build an L shaped box where the amps are inside the horizontal fixture. I have been thinking about this for years. M&K utilizes a push/pull box where the rear wave of a second sub is open. The wave when it exits the sub will move air across the amp. I can draw you a draft of the box if needed.
I have Bose 901 and a M&K X12 that are over 12 years old in my house. I have tried to upgrade my home sound system twice now and cannot match the sound quality.

http://www.mksound.com/x-series

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #314
secondchance

Locobob,

I built an extensive system back in 91 for my 91 ZR-1. Although technology has marched on, one major difficulty I encountered back then still is valid. Main challenge was front speakers. In order for any speaker to produce good low to mid frequency is to be in an speaker enclosure and our cars lack any place for decent size enclosure. Fabricating a MDF plate and throwing a speaker on it really won't do anything. Factory front speaker enclosure was custom designed by Bose and tuned port was optimized for the 3" Bose speaker. As such, considering that it's 3" speaker our front speaker/ported enclosure produces pretty good sound. I used the largest after market speaker I could fit in the front OEM enclosure but never could produce level of quality OEM set up has. Rear is not too difficult.
Second time around with my 94, I replaced the head unit, spliced into OEM speaker/amps and added an amp and 10" low profile sub-woofer to augment low frequency. Dealing with limited speaker/enclosure space in the front of our C4s, I am convinced the route I took is about the most optimal solution - just my 2 cents worth...
For the alternator whine, try my capacitor trick. It less then 10 bucks and 15 minutes to install - and it won't blow up an alternator. Don't replace the whole system because of the alternator whine. This noise is not coming through the electrical wire but rather in radio frequency from the alternator. That's why relocating ground and re-routing wires won't solve the problem. I chased alternator whine for a year and rewired the system 5-6 times back in 1980. I know how frustrating it gets.

Link is to a webpage explaining how capacitor eliminates alternator whine, in this case, in aircraft communications head phone - similar to whine coming from speakers.

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/1828...l?redirected=1

Last edited by secondchance; 08-04-2014 at 05:53 PM.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #315
Locobob

I just ordered a noise filter, going to try that first. I'll read up on the capacitor idea but it makes me nervous as I don't know anything about it and Dr. Don mentioned something about car fires.

Last edited by Locobob; 08-04-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2014   #316
Locobob

Making some progress:

Managed to fix the headlight switch illumination issue... ended up using amber LED's with the factory bulb condoms for the backlights. The traction control button is a little extra bright with the LED I used but no biggie - currently this button is unused as my car is a 91 but I figure it may come in handy to have an extra button some day.

Center console devices are working great.

The stereo still has some alternator whine, I think the filter helped a little. I'm just going to live with it for the time being, lost enough of the driving season already.

Old 08-13-2014   #317
GOLDCYLON

Pure Energy... Dance Now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF_NsT5U3i0
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 09-30-2015 at 08:01 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014   #318
Locobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Yup, that's going to be it for a little while, gonna drive it!

Next up will be the center console and door arm rest re-upholstery - probably in a few weeks. Seats will get done in a couple of months most likely.

Old 08-17-2014   #319
ghlkal

Looks great!

Did you ever find a source for the clips behind the radio bezel? I need one of those too ...
1990 ZR-1 #2180 Red/Black
Many of the usual mods for 460HP, tuned by Marc Haibeck
ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1548
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #320
-=Jeff=-

Robert,

this link has a lot of images of my install.. many at the end are the tablet install I now have..

Might swap back to the App Radio.. Still working it out on the Bench

https://plus.google.com/photos/10133...465?banner=pwa
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote