ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Club Regional Areas > Pacific Region

Old 01-12-2024   #11
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: Anyone from Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak90zr1 View Post
Ok sounds good. I know all about Japan since my son lives there and I was stationed there in the 90s. I was also stationed at Kaneohe Bay for 12 years. we will have a lot in common. I was just at Yokosuka in the fall of last year. I was stationed at Misawa Air Base way back when. My name is Keith nice to meet you. Have a safe trip.
Shootz! We should meet with Joie too and I?ll give him heads up. He has some cool old school hot rods and some other 90s muscle. Wow, yes we do. I work at Yokosuka now and will retire this June. I have to go to Misawa to inspect our site there and two trips to Nagasaki area. I look forward to meeting you Keith and mahalo for your thoughts. I?ll be back in March. Aloha! 🤙🏼
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024   #12
Blak90zr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Shootz! We should meet with Joie too and I?ll give him heads up. He has some cool old school hot rods and some other 90s muscle. Wow, yes we do. I work at Yokosuka now and will retire this June. I have to go to Misawa to inspect our site there and two trips to Nagasaki area. I look forward to meeting you Keith and mahalo for your thoughts. I?ll be back in March. Aloha! 🤙🏼
Ok sounds great enjoy Japan! My son works at Haneda airport. I also had a part time job at a car junkyard in Japan too. Lol. I also owned many Japanese cars and Jimny jeeps there. Anyway, I have a couple other trans am cars too here in Hawaii. Right now I am getting my car ready for safety check . I have to put new bulbs in the third high mount brake light. The Pearl Ridge cruise night is Sat Jan 27th. safe travels

Last edited by Blak90zr1; 01-12-2024 at 11:09 PM.
Blak90zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024   #13
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Ok sounds great enjoy Japan! My son works at Haneda airport. I also had a part time job at a car junkyard in Japan too. Lol. I also owned many Japanese cars and Jimny jeeps there. Anyway, I have a couple other trans am cars too here in Hawaii. Right now I am getting my car ready for safety check . I have to put new bulbs in the third high mount brake light. The Pearl Ridge cruise night is Sat Jan 27th. safe travels
Thanks. I love it there and decided to retire in Japan. My house is in Kamakura. Cool, your son works at Haneda. I usually fly through there, but this time Narita. Man, you will enjoy meeting Joie and those cruise nights. I wish I was going to be here for that one. I might be shipping my Z back Hawaii so we?ll see. If you?re keeping yours all original I guess you don?t want to do the LED high brake light mod. Best wishes with the safety check. Thanks.

Old 01-14-2024   #14
Blak90zr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Thanks. I love it there and decided to retire in Japan. My house is in Kamakura. Cool, your son works at Haneda. I usually fly through there, but this time Narita. Man, you will enjoy meeting Joie and those cruise nights. I wish I was going to be here for that one. I might be shipping my Z back Hawaii so we?ll see. If you?re keeping yours all original I guess you don?t want to do the LED high brake light mod. Best wishes with the safety check. Thanks.
My friend wants to have a retire place in Kamakura. He is a surfer. I love Aomori and the countryside though. Actually as far as the 3rd brake light, I am just trying to get everything working. Ah the cruise nights are not that great but that's all we have here. Honestly, as a newbie I did not know there was a mod but suspected that there must be...I mean c'mon. I have a little dream of bringing some of my cars to Japan and drive, fix, and store them there. My son is Japanese so possibly just put everything in his name, enjoy, and when I go to heaven, he can have everything. Driving on some of the country roads are the best or any open roads there. Everyone respects each other!
Old 01-14-2024   #15
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
My friend wants to have a retire place in Kamakura. He is a surfer. I love Aomori and the countryside though. Actually as far as the 3rd brake light, I am just trying to get everything working. Ah the cruise nights are not that great but that's all we have here. Honestly, as a newbie I did not know there was a mod but suspected that there must be...I mean c'mon. I have a little dream of bringing some of my cars to Japan and drive, fix, and store them there. My son is Japanese so possibly just put everything in his name, enjoy, and when I go to heaven, he can have everything. Driving on some of the country roads are the best or any open roads there. Everyone respects each other!
Howzit Keith! I am back at home in Kamakura and one the reasons we bought a house here. My wife knew I need to be near the beach and surf. I sold my board but looking to get into SUP or kayaking instead. Haven?

not been to Aomori yet any spring will be my first visit to Misawa. It is so much easier to just replace the bulb strip with LED strip. There?
is a post in her somewhere that I did or others did. Yep, Japan is amazing for touring cars here. The best roads and great car scenes and shows.

That would be amazing if you brought a car or two here. The initial inspection isa pain and expensive unless outside of the emissions testing requirement. I brought two ZR-1s here, but my 90 went back to US and I sold it. Yeah, respect is nice in this service country. Aloha! 🤙🏼

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 01-14-2024 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2024   #16
HAWAIIZR-1

Another CHMSL LED Conversion

https://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33421

Old 01-19-2024   #17
Blak90zr1

Great thanks for the LED info. Noted. I know a lot about Misawa. I lived there for over 6 years.
Old 01-19-2024   #18
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Great thanks for the LED info. Noted. I know a lot about Misawa. I lived there for over 6 years.
You are welcome. On my 90 my LED strip came from Harbor Freight and on my 95 from my local Autobacs. Cool! I am looking forward to going to Misawa for a week the middle of May so it should be nice.

Old 01-20-2024   #19
Blak90zr1

Okay, I saved the Amazon led strip item from the other post you provided and put it on my wish list. For now I am going to just replace the bulbs X4 and then I bought 3m Strip Caulk to use for sealing the red plastic lens to the metal cover before I bolt it to the car. I had to carefully remove silicone that was holding it from the previous owner. It took me an hour to break it loose without damaging anything. I think the 3m black strip caulk will work fine to seal the light assembly in the metal cover. It should also allow it to be removed again easily if needed. It appears that the foam gasket is hard to find and discontinued. Maybe that's why using a waterproof led strip would be nice. My car has 1995 ZR1 rims on it and I really want the salad shooters. I am a stock kind of person. I just love how the salad shooters make the car stand out as a 1990. However, these 95 spoke ones are pretty handsome. I just purchased 3 ignition key blanks with the proper resistance and I am going to search for the door keys. I would like the GM logo ones for the door keys too. Furthermore, I am searching for a 1990 valet /power key. Hmmm what else, that's all I can think of for now.
Old 01-20-2024   #20
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Okay, I saved the Amazon led strip item from the other post you provided and put it on my wish list. For now I am going to just replace the bulbs X4 and then I bought 3m Strip Caulk to use for sealing the red plastic lens to the metal cover before I bolt it to the car. I had to carefully remove silicone that was holding it from the previous owner. It took me an hour to break it loose without damaging anything. I think the 3m black strip caulk will work fine to seal the light assembly in the metal cover. It should also allow it to be removed again easily if needed. It appears that the foam gasket is hard to find and discontinued. Maybe that's why using a waterproof led strip would be nice. My car has 1995 ZR1 rims on it and I really want the salad shooters. I am a stock kind of person. I just love how the salad shooters make the car stand out as a 1990. However, these 95 spoke ones are pretty handsome. I just purchased 3 ignition key blanks with the proper resistance and I am going to search for the door keys. I would like the GM logo ones for the door keys too. Furthermore, I am searching for a 1990 valet /power key. Hmmm what else, that's all I can think of for now.
It sounds like you did a nice job with the replacement bulbs and improvising the lack of a replacement seal. It should be fairly easy to find a set of the 90Z wheels as I have seen them for sale and not as pricey as the other years. I hear you and I rather have the year my wheels came with on the car despite many put the later A molds on their other year cars. I will check around for a set of 90s for you if you are not on FB. Check eBay for the 90 valet and door keys with the GM logos. 🤙🏼