ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-30-2016   #11
ZRapid-1

Default Re: First car show and just huh.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddogtwo View Post
Guys,
I feel your pain, while I don't drive a ZR1 just a muggle (96 CE) I would agree that people don't understand the ZR!. I have to confess I was perfectly happy with my stock LT4 until I ran with the bad boys on Mountain Run 4. I didn't really understand what special cars the ZR1s are. And I consider myself a Vette guy.
Any C4 including Zs or maybe especially Zs are underrated, under valued and misunderstood. . I would suggest you get story boards that not only have pictures but give a little history of the cars. At car shows, people are always fascinated with a little information. In a popular vote I think that would help be remembered.
Yesterday I was in a Corvettes only car show and due to the questionable weather only 1/2 as many of the usual 300 cars were judged. I had a build sheet and the brochure for my car on the dash. I was amazed at the number of people who walked by then stopped and read the information then walked around the car looking at it.
And really, I'm sure that on your way home from any Corvette event when you get on it a little bit it still gives you that uneraseable grin trophy or not.
Save the wave!
Dave
I agree with the above comments.
If you had a poster with the ZR-1's records and performance stats, that would help explain the significance of what they're looking at.

People would also be surprised to find out how much the ZR-1 option originally cost.
ZRapid-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016   #12
Mystic ZR-1

Welcome to the world of the "Redheaded Stepchild"!
I've been to Corvette shows and been told by
the "experts", aka: poseurs, that "that motor doesn't belong
in that car". Unfortunately, most people think it's just another C4.
Their loss...
definition: expert - a drip under pressure
😄
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016   #13
carter200

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush91 View Post
I don't mean to be a jerk or stuck up or to come off that way. I had a great time and a lot of folks took pics of my ZR-1 and said its the 1st one they have ever seen. That was cool. But how can all the Vettes but mine get a trophy???
I see NO Carter Bling on your car so that is a major factor right there....

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016   #14
efnfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter200 View Post
True dat Carter
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016   #15
G-Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush91 View Post
So I par took in my first ever car show today.....extremely hot day, around 95 degrees according to my Beast. Of course there was a bevy of new Mustangs, old ones too. Lots of trucks, a few bikes and a lot of 60s,70s muscle. And a lot of Trans Ams, but not many really nice ones. Any who I was one of only 4 Corvettes out of maybe 100 cars. There was me, a 1967 coupe with a 350, a 1982 Collectors edition and a 2010 Grand Sport......top 50 cars got trophy, along with Best in Show etc......I don't mean to be a jerk or stuck up or to come off that way. I had a great time and a lot of folks took pics of my ZR-1 and said its the 1st one they have ever seen. That was cool. But how can all the Vettes but mine get a trophy??? I'm sorry but the '82 was rough, and well rough....just scratching my head and kicking myself of not taking pics of some of the so called "top 50". Oh well, on another note, for being as hot as it was, my car ran incredible! Fans on at about 220ish, and stayed there sitting in traffic. I was happy about that, didnt run hot at all can't wait to get That Haibeck chip...
Congrats on prepping and taking your ZR to a show. It's a LOT of work to detail a car for one. Yours looks great. Sorry yours didn't take 'official' recognition.

I spent almost an embarrassing amount of time buffing and waxing the exterior of mine this week for a show yesterday… and cleaning both the interior and engine bay. No worries - Didn't' win anything either, but I was proud to show it.

Lots of cars at this show - from old to modern and everything in between. (My guess 200 - 250). Seems like there were a number of people who came over to see it… though I was walking around looking at other cars, talking with their owners, for the most part. There was a line of Vettes in one area - mostly C6s and 7s. Beautiful ones, no doubt.

The highlight of my day though, was about 4 hours into the show I was standing on the side talking to a guy who had just bought a '65 Mustang. Just then, three 17-year-old (ish) boys bee-lined over to the Z and stared at the engine bay. I could see by their expression, it was a delight. They were enamored by it, chatting away. Love it when the young folks find interest in it.

BTW, I do put a simple, but nicely printed paper dash "plaque" in the window on the driver's side dash. It says:

1994 Corvette ZR-1
LT5 - 350 V8 Engine - 405 h.p.
20xxx miles, nearly all original.
+++++
In 1990, the ZR-1 set a new 24-hour speed record, averaging 175.8+ mph for 24 hours.
The ONLY production vehicle ever to do this.
This record stood for 11.5 years.
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016   #16
rush91

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
Were the top 50 pick by popular vote of attendees? If so, you have your answer.
No, it was two guys that walked around....a father and son I believe. After thinking it over, I feel bad for sounding bitter over a stupid trophy. We who own these Beast know what they are and how special they are....In no way does it take away my love and extreme passion for our ZR-1's. Sorry everyone if my original post came off as arrogant. And for knocking other Corvettes....
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016   #17
ghlkal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddogtwo View Post
Guys,
I would suggest you get story boards that not only have pictures but give a little history of the cars. At car shows, people are always fascinated with a little information.

Yes, I agree. I have info on poster boards that I prop in the windshield.

I guess I should get one of those fancy sign holders ...
1990 ZR-1 #2180 Red/Black
Many of the usual mods for 460HP, tuned by Marc Haibeck
ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1548
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016   #18
rush91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghlkal View Post
I agree. I'm sure you had had the hood up ... didn't they look at the LT5 ??!
Hood was up the whole time. Had it looking just amazing.....I printed up a sheet that read, One of 76 ever made in Polo green Metallic and Saddle interior...one of 2044 1991's and one of 6939 Ever. Then listed the record run numbers and world records. People would stop and read it, also have original window sticker up on windshield as well. People would walk by thinking it was standard Vette, then see the engine, and then point out the Valet key to who they were with lol.....It was cool. But I think I had a bad spot behind everyone, hell I don't know why I did at least get atop 50 after seeing some that did.

Last edited by rush91; 05-30-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-30-2016   #19
rush91

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sting View Post
Congrats on prepping and taking your ZR to a show. It's a LOT of work to detail a car for one. Yours looks great. Sorry yours didn't take 'official' recognition.

I spent almost an embarrassing amount of time buffing and waxing the exterior of mine this week for a show yesterday… and cleaning both the interior and engine bay. No worries - Didn't' win anything either, but I was proud to show it.

Lots of cars at this show - from old to modern and everything in between. (My guess 200 - 250). Seems like there were a number of people who came over to see it… though I was walking around looking at other cars, talking with their owners, for the most part. There was a line of Vettes in one area - mostly C6s and 7s. Beautiful ones, no doubt.

The highlight of my day though, was about 4 hours into the show I was standing on the side talking to a guy who had just bought a '65 Mustang. Just then, three 17-year-old (ish) boys bee-lined over to the Z and stared at the engine bay. I could see by their expression, it was a delight. They were enamored by it, chatting away. Love it when the young folks find interest in it.

BTW, I do put a simple, but nicely printed paper dash "plaque" in the window on the driver's side dash. It says:

1994 Corvette ZR-1
LT5 - 350 V8 Engine - 405 h.p.
20xxx miles, nearly all original.
+++++
In 1990, the ZR-1 set a new 24-hour speed record, averaging 175.8+ mph for 24 hours.
The ONLY production vehicle ever to do this.
This record stood for 11.5 years.

Thanks for the understanding....All the work put in detailing and cleaning. Guess I just wanted to shout " Hey this is a real ZR-1!!! Its rare and badass folks" But I'm sure most of you have been there, so thanks for all the great replies. If they only knew how incredible this registry is......And it funny you mention the young kids. I had more than one kid, I'd say not one over 8, would stop and say ooooh Mom check it out!!! And take a pic stand next to it, thumbs up Happened a lot as you said with the real young kids, it was cool...
Old 05-30-2016   #20
rush91

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter200 View Post

A remedy that must be addressed, so agreed