ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-09-2015   #81
Scrrem

Default Re: Brighter Aftermarket Headlamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
So on the 1990-later cars there are a couple things:

There is a LT GRN wire that controls the High beam as well as the relay to the Foglights.

When the High beam is off, this wire is low (no voltage applied) and it uses the ground through the high beam. Which in the OEM case is a filament.. or a short if you will directly to ground on the other side of the Headlight. When the High beam is activated +12v is applied to the Lt Grn wire so now both sides of the Relay coil for the Fog Lights is at +12v so the coil it not activated.

The LED Headlight is probably not as basic as an LED and Resistor, I am guessing there is some electronics in the headlight module. So now when the High beam is on the circuit 'works' as it should. when on low beam, I am thinking there is now NO 'short' through the headlight to turn on the fog lights

the Simple fix is cut the LT GRN wire on the relay and tie it to ground, but the foglights will work for both HIGH/LOW beams.. to keep them working correctly, I am thinking another relay would need to be wired..

I am pretty sure I know how to get it in there, but I don't have the LED lights to test it..

One added relay:
Cut Lt Grn
Power side of Lt Grn to Pin 86 of Relay
Pin 85 and Pin 30 of relay to Ground (New Wire)
fog light side of LT Grn to 87a.

That should allow you to keep the correct functionality with minimum wiring and wire cuts
Jeff,
I installed my lights last weekend, now moving on to the fog light issue. I have a silly question....can the relay assembly be removed from under the dash? I see the relays and I think I have identified the wires but really would feel better if I could visually verify that I am cutting the correct wires.
Rich
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015   #82
-=Jeff=-

I think so.. I have the whole dash pad out at the moment so I don't need to remove it yet. I have not had a chance to work on it either. I was hoping to this weekend but I will be camping with my son. I might get to it this week to look
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015   #83
Hib Halverson

Ok, I confirmed that to run the Nighthawk LEDs, you have to change the foglight wiring.

The modification to the fog lamp wiring requires the light green wire coming out of the fog lamp relay be grounded directly to the chassis rather than through the high-beam headlamps. The relay is located behind the trim at the bottom right side of the dashboard in the relay retainer. You will need to remove the lower right-hand trim panel and the knee bolster which is behind it to access the relay wiring. There are five relays there and the fog lamp relay is front row far right. Four wires will connect to it: yellow, light green, purple and brown. Find the light green wire and cut it and splice in a new section which grounds to the chassis. This will restore fog lamp function when the headlight are on low-beam and allow the fog lamps to be on when the high-beams are on as well as when the low-beams are on.

I'm sorry it's taken so long for me to confirm what others have suggested about the fog lights and LED headlights, but my ZR1 was blocked in a parking space for about two months where I could not open the passenger door to work under the dash. It wasn't until last week that I could move the car.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015   #84
Billy Mild

Are the LED headlights worth it?
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015   #85
Hib Halverson

Whether or not they are worth is depends on how much fast driving you do at night.

If you don't drive at night, or, when you do, you poke along at the speed limit or less, they're probably not a good value.

If you haul *** at night, they're the best thing going other than auxiliary lighting.
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015   #86
efnfast

Spoken like a true Corvetter. "Poke along at the speed limit"
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote