ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-12-2014   #21
5ABI VT

Default Re: Alternator question ! (PIC) Nut on back of alternator does not loosen !

Thanks for the input ! Very cool about the production date. Im not one for orginal stuff but I don't think Ill give this alt back as a core when I replace it lol Tomorrow I get the new old stock brush kit my local dealer was able to get and Ill reassemble it. Ill be making new power and ground wires to add on to it tonight. Then.. this top end is ready get back together !! Sucks though the next few days is forecasting some light snow (<1 cm) but if I can get it done.. it may give a nice opportunity for some photos !
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014   #22
WVZR-1

Default Re: Alternator question ! (PIC) Nut on back of alternator does not loosen !

You might consider after reassembly to have the shop check it on the bench to confirm operation. There's no obvious reason for concern but it certainly might be wise.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014   #23
5ABI VT

Not a bad idea I'll zip by the alt rebuild guys I deal with and ask on the way to work. Definitely won't be leaving it though as I'm sure I'll come back and they'll say it needed everything replaced
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014   #24
jrd1990zr1

I had a similar problem this year at Carlisle. When driving to the hotel on Thursday night thought I smelled burning paper, but the smell went away. Drove to Carlisle Friday everything was good. Left carlilse for the hotel about 2 miles from the show field the ammeter on dash went to 8. Got to the Hotel shut the car off, battery was dead, alternator was VERY hot.

Thanks to the help of Jim Voter, MysticZR1 and a few others we replaced the alternator by flashlight in the parking lot. Major problem was that same electrical bolt would spin, not loosen. We ended up having it break off.

Long story short the diodes are attached to the other side of that bolt and when they fried the bolt spins.

My thanks to all that helped me out, replacing the alternator without pulling the plenum is a bear to do!

Have a shop check out your alternator befor you re-install it.

1968 convertible Lemans Blue,
1986 coupe Medium Blue NCRS Top Flight (sold),
1990 ZR1 #2529 Red NCRS Regional and National Top Flight (sold),
1990 ZR1 #2124 Charcoal Metallic NCRS Top Flight 2010 & 2018,
2003 Anniversary Red Convertible (sold)
jrd1990zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote