ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Prototypes

Old 11-24-2014   #11
ghlkal

Default Re: Look what I found at the Monterey Historics this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerarm View Post
I remember this car. In 1987-88 I worked for a tech writing company in Southfield Mi that contracted to GM to do tech service procedure development and produce factory service manuals, bulletins and labor time studies. I was the machanic.
Welcome Will.

I agree with Cliff, that job sounds like a lot of fun ...
1990 ZR-1 #2180 Red/Black
Many of the usual mods for 460HP, tuned by Marc Haibeck
ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1548
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014   #12
rockerarm

Thanks guys,
It was a fun job. We also had the prototype 1986 coupe with the 1st ZR1/LT5 conversion on it. It had a phase I engine and ran like a scalded rabbit. With the standard width 86 body the tires protruded from the openings and it looked like a hot rod.

It was also interesting driving "either of them" around the streets of Southfield and Dearborn. This red car drew a lot of attention. In 88 most folks had only heard about the ZR1.

I'll dig up some pictures from that time and post them sometime soon.

Will.
rockerarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014   #13
GOLDCYLON

Welcome aboard Will. If you do please post them up. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014   #14
RyanChappel

Default Thanks Will, very interesting stuff..

Especially the peek into the inner sanctum of how the automobile industry worked, 'back in the day'. Please share more....
RyanChappel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014   #15
rockerarm

[B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][QUOTE]The company was a automotive technical service company that was contracted by GM, and I contracted my services as a protoype mechanic to them.

The primary object was to develope service procedures from scratch and translate them to a segmented procedure to be converted to a service manual. It included development of many of the special tools needed for spicific procedures, so I got to work closely with a Kent Moore rep also.
Once a procedure was developed and approved by GM, we would then establish the labor times based on the procedure.
It was very interesting and I had access to the Milford Mich advance product facilities. I attended many advance product seminars there. We also developed many procedures and time studies for Cadillac and Pontiac ..... (remember the Fiero's), fun little cars.

Heres a couple pictures I dug up..................[/ This is the red 0003 VIN car..... norice the "LT5" emblem on the rear facia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZR1 pic 1 (Large).jpg (44.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg ZR1 pic 2 (Large).jpg (60.0 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg ZR1 pic 3 (Large).jpg (60.6 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by rockerarm; 11-25-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-25-2014   #16
GOLDCYLON

[QUOTE=rockerarm;216368][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]
Quote:
The company was a automotive technical service company that was contracted by GM, and I contracted my services as a protoype mechanic to them.

The primary object was to develope service procedures from scratch and translate them to a segmented procedure to be converted to a service manual. It included development of many of the special tools needed for spicific procedures, so I got to work closely with a Kent Moore rep also.
Once a procedure was developed and approved by GM, we would then establish the labor times based on the procedure.
It was very interesting and I had access to the Milford Mich advance product facilities. I attended many advance product seminars there. We also developed many procedures and time studies for Cadillac and Pontiac ..... (remember the Fiero's), fun little cars.

Heres a couple pictures I dug up..................[/ This is the red 0003 VIN car..... norice the "LT5" emblem on the rear facia.
Very kueal
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014   #17
Blue Flame Restorations

Neat stuff!
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014   #18
FU

We love to hear history related to these cars . Thanks' !

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014   #19
ZR1North

Thanks for this, Will. Love to have you come talk to us at an event this year - The Gathering in Bowling Green, Back to the Bricks in Flint, Carlisle...
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014   #20
rockerarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1North View Post
Thanks for this, Will. Love to have you come talk to us at an event this year - The Gathering in Bowling Green, Back to the Bricks in Flint, Carlisle...
That might be interesting. I have a long standing desire to visit the Corvette museum in Bowling Green. Something to think about.

What would be the dates of your meet there....?

Will.