ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > General > ZR-1 Net Registry Club News

Old 06-13-2012   #11
DaveK

Default Re: ZR-1/ZR1 Gathering

I drove around 1500 miles to get to the Gathering this year. It was a blast. Don't think it would that much more from the west coast. That said I can understand it would put some people off. Similarly, if you have an event in the West, that would be hard for a lot of the Eastern cars to make.

The Museum seems to me to be the 'logical' choice for a get together, but it doesn't have to be the only one and shouldn't be. I don't see why they couldn't be an 'eastern gathering' and a 'western gathering' (and the lucky guys in the middle get the best of both!). All it takes is a few people to step up and organize it - I'm sure that the registry would be happy to support that to the fullest.

North America is so big it's always going to be difficult to please everyone and no matter where you hold an event someone is going to have to travel. I love doing that, hell if I could persuade my boss to give me the time off I'd even drive to a "Western Gathering"

Dave
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #12
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Great discussion!

The NCM does help with registration and use of a fantastic facility. Though they do not help with the setup of the "Gathering", like it was in the past. This is much more work and it would be great to get more input from members.

As far as a West Coast Gathering, we absolutely should have one and it can't happen without lots of members stepping up to help.

We are already planning the Gathering for 2013 with a few surprises!

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #13
QB93Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperf406 View Post
I would like to see a western ZR1 event as I believe a lot of people including me don't go because of the location. Flying in & not having a car at the event is just foolish, pretty soon it will be a bunch of guys sitting around talking about their ZR1's & not a ZR1 around. Majority of people who don't want to move live within a relatively close distance & of course they will fight it. Carlisle is just as bad for anyone but the easterners, so I guess I'll just read about it every year until I loose interest in The Gathering & I'll bet I'm not in the minority, I could be wrong.
I agree with you 100% that I would like to see ZR-1 Events in the western part of the country. I hope that soon there will be an event that gets ZR-1 owners together in Las Vegas. There was a ZR-1 event in the Pacific Northwest just a few weeks ago. I hope that some ZR-1 owners will get together and make a piggyback ZR-1 event during the Corvettes on the Rockies show.

There has to be dozens of ZR-1 owners in southern California. My recommendation is for Registry members in the area go to car shows and Cars and Coffee events and make contact with ZR-1 owners who are not in the Registry now or don't visit the Forums. Get their name and email adddress and start a campaign to get together in small groups. This is the way that I started what is now WAZOO. We started with just a couple of owners and 3 years later there are 42 ZR-1 owners identified in Baltimore-Washington area. Some come to our local events and some don't, but we all have a way to meet other owners face to face, exchange ideas and have fun.

If any member in a region needs help with an Email list, I will host your list on my Constant Contact account. If you need help from the Forum, we can make a special section for any regional group.

Corvettes at Carlisle is not a ZR-1 Net Registry Event. It is a Corvette event at which the ZR-1 Net Registry has established a strong presence. What we did was create a location and a tent where ZR-1 owners can hang out and meet other owners. Now that we have been successful, we cook some hamburgers and hold a raffle to offset expenses. All of the adminitrative burden of setting up and operating the event are done by someone else. We just show up and have fun.

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #14
zr1mom

I think a lot of people forget there is a great gathering of ZR-1's every year in TX. I'm sure that could be expanded upon.

You did have another event that was growing in Vegas that could be given life again pretty quickly.

Remember events start with ideas and then people willing to put in the countless hours to make it happen.

Mom
NCM Lifetime Member
zr1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #15
XfireZ51

Guys,

I am glad to see some discussion on this thread. I would like to reiterate that changing the evnue for the Gathering was not as much an objective of my discussion as is the idea of changing who we identify with.

"Do own a ZR-1 or do you own a C4?". I'll start a poll.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #16
tomtom72

Hey Dave, I would willingly help with any heavy lifting at the Gathering. I just never knew you were looking for recruits! Count me in for next year's Gathering when there is work to be done! Heck I'm usually there by Tuesday evening!

I'd also like to thank the NCM for having us.

I could travel farther to attend an event if I could get two weeks vacation back to back. That's the rub for me. I think we should promote our C4 Gathering at local show & shines...I talk it up to any C4 owner I meet. Heck I even tell my C5 & C6 bros that they should go to the C5-C6 bash. The more, the merrier right? I would hate to see the Gathering loose it's connection to the NCM. I mean what other sports car can you own and get to have a conversation with the people that designed it? JMHO

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #17
JThomas

Great discussion! A trip out west could be fantastic, it just takes someone to plan it, just like anything else. I know I would support an event like that.

It seems that some owners just aren't willing to drive their cars "too far". Maybe we should determine how far people are willing to drive for an event, and that might help determine a location.

For me, as long as I can get gas, I'm rollin'!
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #18
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThomas View Post
For me, as long as I can get gas, I'm rollin'!
I'm with you Joe!
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #19
JFFerner

Perhaps consideration should be given to participating (in part) with Hot Rod Magazine's and General Motors' "Power Tour". I did this in 2010 by joining the group in Bowling Green, KY, instead of Iowa, where it began. I didn't have the time to go all the way to Mobile, AL, thus after 3 days, I broke rank and headed home. It could be a great time as a group, allowing either the entire or part tour.

For 2013 the tour is scheduled as follows:

BeginingJune 1 - QuickTrip BallPark 1600 Lone Star Pk Grand Prairie, TX 75050
June 2 - Four States Fair, 3700 E. 50th St, Texarkana, AR (200 mi) 71854
June 3 - Arkansas State Fair, 2600 Howard St, Little Rock, AR (142 mi) 72206
June 4 - Memphis Raceway, 550 Victory Ln, Millington, TN (137 mi) 38053
June 5 - Regions Stadium, 100 Municipal Dr, Hoover, AL (249 mi) 35216
June 6 - Chattanooga ST, 4501 Amnicola, Chattanooga, TN (156) 37406
June 7 - Charlotte Speedway 5555 Concord Pk S, Concord NC (316) 28027
Saturday June 8, 2013 - Long Haul Photo and awards (1200 miles)Big Map

More info is available at: www.mytrain.com/powertour Jim
JFFerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #20
hiperf406

All in the East again since when does not living in the East exclude those of us who live in the West. Anything in Kentucky,Tennessee, Ark, & their neighbors are too far for a lot of us.

When the flag drops the bull sh1t stops!
hiperf406 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowling green, gathering, zr-1