ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

View Poll Results: Which oil do you use?
Amsoil 79 22.13%
Castrol 19 5.32%
Champion 0 0%
Chevron 0 0%
Conoco 0 0%
Citgo 0 0%
Havoline 1 0.28%
Interstate 0 0%
Kendall 1 0.28%
Lowe 0 0%
Marathon 0 0%
Mobil 1 224 62.75%
Motorcraft 0 0%
National 0 0%
PennZoil 4 1.12%
Quaker State 3 0.84%
Redline 10 2.80%
Royal Purple 11 3.08%
Valvoline 5 1.40%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2022   #201
mlipmd

Default Re: Which oil do you use

Spork -"If saving 30-50 bucks a year on oil is making or breaking your budget, high performance cars may not be for you." Did trying to demean me make you feel better?

There is very little difference in 0W, 5W, and 10W in performance, and Mobil 1 is available near me while Amsoil 10W-40 is not. It's not the $10-20 difference in price that counts.
Other than pontificating about various "points" of Kinematic Viscosities and VI, can you give any objective evidence of lower pressures at cam journals and bearings, how you measure that, and the damage that is happening to the engine because of that? And your engine oil gauge is what, useless? Also, the viscosity designator on the bottle can be misleading? Then how do you buy any oil then if you can't rely on the manufacturer's designation?
And you are wrong about the cold winter temps down here, I don't know where you get your info from - it is very often in the 30s and frequently in the high 20s here in the winter.

This discussion is becoming the same as what tire pressure you run, that which is on the door sticker, or 1-2 lbs. higher or lower than what is written there to suit your driving preference.
mlipmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022   #202
george1945

I use the Amsoil. Z-rod formula.Buy it online and it is shipped to my door.
george1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022   #203
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlipmd View Post
Spork -"If saving 30-50 bucks a year on oil is making or breaking your budget, high performance cars may not be for you." Did trying to demean me make you feel better?

There is very little difference in 0W, 5W, and 10W in performance, and Mobil 1 is available near me while Amsoil 10W-40 is not. It's not the $10-20 difference in price that counts.
Other than pontificating about various "points" of Kinematic Viscosities and VI, can you give any objective evidence of lower pressures at cam journals and bearings, how you measure that, and the damage that is happening to the engine because of that? And your engine oil gauge is what, useless? Also, the viscosity designator on the bottle can be misleading? Then how do you buy any oil then if you can't rely on the manufacturer's designation?
And you are wrong about the cold winter temps down here, I don't know where you get your info from - it is very often in the 30s and frequently in the high 20s here in the winter.

This discussion is becoming the same as what tire pressure you run, that which is on the door sticker, or 1-2 lbs. higher or lower than what is written there to suit your driving preference.
So your claim is that the ZDDP content that was called out 32 years ago is critically important, but using a viscosity that wasn't even sold in the US until 2010 is irrelevant...okay. It wasn't even created in Europe to begin with, it was created in Japan (as 0W16) for fuel economy in small displacement engines in a country where they stop driving most cars between 50,000 and 80,000 miles. As stated by someone else earlier, the use of this oil was driven by fuel economy and emissions, not engine life.

No modern engine needs 0w oil to start in cold weather regardless of temperature. It's used to decrease emissions in the time it takes the engine to reach operating temperature. The claim that it "reaches critical components faster" is more marketing bullsh*t to make you feel good than anything.

I'm sure the entire of the automotive industry experts and all the design engineers I work with in a company that has designed and built flat tappet air cooled aviation engines for 93 years are wrong and you have it figured out.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022   #204
mlipmd

I don't want to belabor this, but I have to respond to you -

Is it OK that MH recommends Amsoil 10W-40 because of the ZDDP levels while that is different than GM saying Mobil1 5W-30 is what's needed? Does he know more than the engineers who designed this motor, or is that his personal opinion? Why does he say a "heavier" weight oil with higher levels of Zinc and Phosphorous is so much better than what the factory specifies? If it was so beneficially great, then why wouldn't the factory switch to this recommendation too?
All the 0W-40 designation means is that that oil is suited to a wider variety of temp extremes than a 10W-30, and not that it matters, but where I live it varies between 30 and 100 at different times of the year and any engine oil on here will also function adequately in those extremes.
You are skirting around the questions I asked you and are avoiding the issue because you cannot answer me. And you also cannot show me any evidence of higher wear or damage to any part of the engine from using any of these oils. I expect next you'll say that compression testing is only an "estimate" of what's happening inside the cylinders.
And explain how a lower weight oil (0W) decreases emissions until the engine warms up. Then tell me where I said anything close to "The claim that it "reaches critical components faster" is more marketing bullsh*t to make you feel good than anything."

Then you said "I'm sure the entire of the automotive industry experts and all the design engineers I work with in a company that has designed and built flat tappet air cooled aviation engines for 93 years are wrong and you have it figured out. "
No, I have not figured it out, but maybe MH or the other gurus who work on these cars have, and YOU are wrong. Oh no, that's inconceivable. Air cooled aviation engines and liquid cooled automotive engines are the same thing, same requirements? That's news.
And you do realize that things do change over the years, right, that advances are made? What was originally recommended 32 years ago may not be as good as what's available now?
So I'm done here now, have at it, and if you're going to make another pronouncement, back it up with some real objective evidence. We all want to learn on here.
The oil you use is just as much a personal preference as the tire pressure you want, as I said. All the modern oils perform pretty much the same and if you change them on schedule, you'll be just fine no matter your choice.

Last edited by mlipmd; 05-10-2022 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-10-2022   #205
spork2367

Quote:
Is it OK that MH recommends Amsoil 10W-40 because of the ZDDP levels while that is different than GM saying Mobil1 10W-30 is what's needed? Does he know more than the engineers who designed this motor, or is that his personal opinion? Why does he say a "heavier" weight oil with higher levels of Zinc and Phosphorous is so much better than what the factory specifies? If it was so beneficially great, then why wouldn't the factory switch to this recommendation too?
There is not an equal difference between a 0W-40 and a 10W-30 vs a 10W-40 and a 10W-30. The factory picked a balance to cover the widest range of driving conditions, not the best for everyone. 0W-40 is in NO WAY offering any level of protection beyond a 10W-30 (weight wise). I run 10W-40 due to my operating parameters, but the Brad Penn 10W-30 would be fine.

All the 0W-40 designation means is that that oil is suited to a wider variety of temp extremes than a 10W-30
False. Several people in here have clarified that 0W oil was created exclusively for lower emissions and better fuel economy during the warm-up period and short driving done in small commuter cars. That?s it. Anything stated beyond that is marketing hype. It wasn?t created for ?cold weather? it was created to decrease the viscosity in ALL weather.

I expect next you'll say that compression testing is only an "estimate" of what's happening inside the cylinders.
It is only an estimate. It doesn?t account for combustion efficiency, flame propagation, hot spots, detonation, etc.

And explain how a lower weight oil (0W) decreases emissions until the engine warms up.
You have less parasitic loss while the oil is warming up and therefor are making more power with less fuel.

Air cooled aviation engines and liquid cooled automotive engines are the same thing, same requirements? That's news.
They are definitively not the same which I why I made the earlier comment about your generic Porsche reference. Nor did I say the requirements were the same. The principles of oil selection however are the same.

And you do realize that things do change over the years, right, that advances are made? What was originally recommended 32 years ago may not be as good as what's available now?
And sometimes they change for the worse. Which is why we have less zinc and phosphorus due to catalytic converters and emissions. It?s also why we have 0W oil. While oil formulations have gotten better, every change was not for the benefit of the car owner. Government regulations rarely benefit individuals.

The oil you use is just as much a personal preference as the tire pressure you want, as I said. All the modern oils perform pretty much the same and if you change them on schedule, you'll be just fine no matter your choice
Pick the wrong tire pressure and you?ll ruin tires too. If you?re putting around the block or cruising on the highway, you?re not going to kill the engine with 0W oil. It just won?t be the best choice for minimizing wear in the engine. All modern engine oils do not perform "pretty much the same."
There is a distinct difference between the opinion of a layman like yourself and the opinion of someone who deals with these things for a living. Be it Marc Haibeck, or myself. Nothing personal, just the facts.
Old 05-10-2022   #206
mlipmd

Show me where I said 0W-40 is offering any level of protection beyond a 10W-30. I never said that or implied that. I use that oil for the higher levels of ZDDP, get it? And that's what I said.
0W is not the best choice for minimizing wear? Tell us all what is the best choice, in your mind, in your opinion, as the "expert" on here.
You still did not answer any of my questions and go out of your way to avoid them.
Show me evidence of any detriment to using Mobil1 0W-40 (which I use for the higher ZDDP levels only) over anything else mentioned on here. You can't. Even something simple like tiny metallic flakes on a magnetic oil drain plug, metal in the filter element, lower compression ratios, higher amounts of metal in an oil analysis, valve ticking or wear. You can't. And show me one study proving your claim that 0W wt. oil decreases emissions and gives better fuel while the oil warms up. If that were truly the case, then by now the govt. would insist on all vehicles use that.
You call me a layman, do you have any idea who I am or what I do/did, what research I have done on oils, who else I have read and gotten valid opinions from? If you really do deal with these things, in what capacity, and why can't you back up your claims with any facts. Nothing personal, just the facts.
Old 05-10-2022   #207
spork2367

Quote:
Show me where I said 0W-40 is offering any level of protection beyond a 10W-30. I never said that or implied that. I use that oil for the higher levels of ZDDP, get it? And that's what I said.
0W is not the best choice for minimizing wear? Tell us all what is the best choice, in your mind, in your opinion, as the "expert" on here.
You still did not answer any of my questions and go out of your way to avoid them.
Show me evidence of any detriment to using Mobil1 0W-40 (which I use for the higher ZDDP levels only) over anything else mentioned on here. You can't. Even something simple like tiny metallic flakes on a magnetic oil drain plug, metal in the filter element, lower compression ratios, higher amounts of metal in an oil analysis, valve ticking or wear. You can't. And show me one study proving your claim that 0W wt. oil decreases emissions and gives better fuel while the oil warms up. If that were truly the case, then by now the govt. would insist on all vehicles use that.
You call me a layman, do you have any idea who I am or what I do/did, what research I have done on oils, who else I have read and gotten valid opinions from? If you really do deal with these things, in what capacity, and why can't you back up your claims with any facts. Nothing personal, just the facts.
You've got it all figured out. Run whatever makes you feel good.
Old 05-10-2022   #208
Dynomite

Amsoil 10W-40 in all LT5s and Mobile-1 10W-30 in all L98s

Mobile-1 M1-207 oil filters on LT5s and Mobile-1 M1-111 Oil Filters on L98s

Last edited by Dynomite; 05-10-2022 at 09:42 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022   #209
mlipmd

It's about time you showed up. Where you been?
Old 05-11-2022   #210
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
It's about time you showed up. Where you been?

Cliff was enjoying the entertainment with some buttered popcorn?..LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote