ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-27-2016   #1
Roadster

Default The Time is Now......

The time is now to really get into the ZR-1 and my other Vette projects. And I will be able to do that in 4 months and 3 days as I am retiring on July 9. After 40 years, 8 months with one company and driving just over 1 million miles OTR in that time, it is time to call it quits.
I will now be able to accomplish the following without any time restrictions what-so-ever.......this will be a very good feeling....

My current "Bucket List"
1- learn more about the LT5 by reading all of Cliff's threads & posts.

2- learn how to use my Tech 1 and understand all of the parameters regarding the LT5 and everything pertaining to the C4.

3- have reading time everyday with all of the Heart Of The Beast mags now that I will have the time to do so.

4- continue paint correction on the ZR-1 to make it as best as possible, keeping it as a true survivor.

5- change all of the fluids and install the Hurst shifter.

6- attend some WAZOO gatherings in the future.

7- get the 74 back together this year.

8- finish up the 82 and get it ready for a possible sale.

9- make sure that I drive at least one Vette every possible day that I can.

10- although this is listed last, it is the most important and that is to enjoy more time with my wife, our daughter, son-in-law and our grandsons and the grand-dog.

To say I can't wait is an understatement.....I am looking very forward to this time in my life. Everyday is one day closer.........

Tom

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016   #2
edram454

Default Re: The Time is Now......

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. I know what you mean about wanting to live life a little bit after 40 years with one company. I have 39 years with mine and I cant wait to get out too. Enjoy your ZR-1 experience.

ed ramos #3028

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016   #3
We Gone

Congrats

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016   #4
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. I know what you mean about wanting to live life a little bit after 40 years with one company. I have 39 years with mine and I cant wait to get out too. Enjoy your ZR-1 experience.

ed ramos #3028
Thanks Ed, I was debating on whether to stay another year to build up my pension & SS. But honestly, it's not worth the difference in the additional funds I would receive. I have it in my head that retirement is just around the corner, and can't wait.... Besides my wife was always whispering the "R" word in my ear before leaving for work
Can't believe where the time has gone, we both have put a long time in with our companies. Hope that your time is approaching soon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone View Post
Congrats
Thanks Steve, as mentioned above, the excitement is contagious. My family is very happy that I am doing this sooner than later.....
I think for the first few months I may stay in bed til 10AM...... to get back some of the sleep I have lost since being out on the road.

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 02-28-2016   #5
RussMcB

Congratulations. Sounds like a great new job - Full Time Car Appreciater.

When I read your list I thought, "He's gonna need to retire twice!" :-)
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016   #6
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
Congratulations. Sounds like a great new job - Full Time Car Appreciater.

When I read your list I thought, "He's gonna need to retire twice!" :-)
Hey Russ, I like that "title" I will have a lot to do, believe me, I will be busy. I also have quite a collection of magazines from years gone by, that I will be able to finally read and enjoy them. Also have an automotive toy collection, everything from Hot Wheels to RC's and some items in between, which includes car parts that will be going up for sale. Between this and keeping up with the Vettes, it is a "job" I will enjoy to the fullest.
But I think the biggest excitement will be is getting to know and still learning how to drive the ZR-1 to its full potential. With all of the knowledge on the forum and the other material I have for the LT5, I am hoping to get a good grasp with this engine.
I also am very excited to get my "454" back together with a new roller cam and heads, along with the rest of the vehicle to be able to also appreciate BB power. I'm on the fence on selling my 82, it has been a great "dd" for the last 4 years. But it may be time to let another Corvette enthusiast enjoy a C3.
I feel very fortunate that I am in the position to have made this decision now, for I always wanted to retire while I still have the interest and desire to pursue my car hobby, rather than continue to work at a much later age and not be up to accomplishing any of the goals stated above.
I just hope that I don't polish and wax my vehicles too much like I did with my first car, my '66 Impala....., I waxed the paint right off that vehicle and had to get a repaint........

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 02-28-2016   #7
ghlkal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
To say I can't wait is an understatement.....I am looking very forward to this time in my life.

Excellent! I'm glad you'll soon have the opportunity to spend the time doing what you really want to do
1990 ZR-1 #2180 Red/Black
Many of the usual mods for 460HP, tuned by Marc Haibeck
ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1548
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016   #8
RICHARD TILL

Tom, Congrats on the retirement. Did it myself three years ago after 27 years with the same company. I miss the people but not the job. Am curious about the BB. I have 6 of them and three have Bullit rollers. A 475, 498 and a 496. You won`t believe how much quicker it`ll wind up with a roller.
RICHARD TILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016   #9
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghlkal View Post
Excellent! I'm glad you'll soon have the opportunity to spend the time doing what you really want to do
Thanks you, thank you.....just counting down the days......

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD TILL View Post
Tom, Congrats on the retirement. Did it myself three years ago after 27 years with the same company. I miss the people but not the job. Am curious about the BB. I have 6 of them and three have Bullit rollers. A 475, 498 and a 496. You won`t believe how much quicker it`ll wind up with a roller.
Thanks Richard, appreciated.......
My 74 Vert is the LS4. From what other 74 BB owners stated awhile back on CF, is that the 454 runs out of breath above 4500 r's. Even though the engine has only 10,254 miles on it, I torn most of it down. So what I intend to do is:

1- leave the bottom end in tack
2- install a Lunati roller cam and roller lifters
3- install new chain & sprockets
4- install closed chamber (100 cc's) 68 427 "215" heads which are completely done w/larger valves
"2.19" & "1.88's"
5- find out what would be the correct head gasket to use to bump up the compression at least one full point.
6- install a 69 427/390 factory aluminum intake
7- install the original Q-Jet that has been rebuilt by Lars
8- will probably keep the TH400 which will be mated to the original rebuilt 3:08 gears. thought about the 700r4 or the 200r4, but the TH400 will be fine for my driving pleasure.
9- just take my time, read more info, ask a lot of questions, to make sure everything goes back together correctly.
10- enjoy my first BB Vette whenever it gets done, hopefully this year.

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 02-29-2016   #10
dredgeguy

Congrats Tom and looking forward to seeing you in Wazoo land.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote