ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-23-2018   #21
ghlkal

Default Re: Oil Pressure Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbrv8 View Post
I heard some horror stories about removing the Oil pressure switch on our motors.

if you lay on top of the engine from the driver side you can reach your left hand in very easily.

OK ... TTT

Of the three methods I've seen, this is the one I'm trying ...

I cannot get the socket to align with the sensor no matter what I try. I guess my socket is a little too long, or I can't flex the head of the ratchet enough.

Here's my question, let's imagine I get the old sensor off. How in the world would I be able to align and screw in the new sensor?

[BTW,

(1)I think unbolting the mount and lifting the right side of the engine won't work because of my beam plate making the engine/tranny/diff one stiff piece
(2)removing the oil filter housing looks even more scary. I have one oil line off (it was on there with more than 40lb/ft for sure!), but I'm not sure how to remove the lower line without removing the adapter. And then, if I do get the filter housing unbolted, can I twist it enough to reach the adapter, and then what about a gasket, and locktite for the sensors, and how do I seal the adapter, and ..
(3)so, I really want to get Dave's way to work ... help]
1990 ZR-1 #2180 Red/Black
Many of the usual mods for 460HP, tuned by Marc Haibeck
ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1548
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018   #22
mgbrv8

With this technique its not hard to hold it with your hand and screw it in and then get the wrench to tighten it

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghlkal View Post
OK ... TTT

Of the three methods I've seen, this is the one I'm trying ...

I cannot get the socket to align with the sensor no matter what I try. I guess my socket is a little too long, or I can't flex the head of the ratchet enough.

Here's my question, let's imagine I get the old sensor off. How in the world would I be able to align and screw in the new sensor?

[BTW,

(1)I think unbolting the mount and lifting the right side of the engine won't work because of my beam plate making the engine/tranny/diff one stiff piece
(2)removing the oil filter housing looks even more scary. I have one oil line off (it was on there with more than 40lb/ft for sure!), but I'm not sure how to remove the lower line without removing the adapter. And then, if I do get the filter housing unbolted, can I twist it enough to reach the adapter, and then what about a gasket, and locktite for the sensors, and how do I seal the adapter, and ..
(3)so, I really want to get Dave's way to work ... help]
mgbrv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018   #23
ghlkal

Quote:
With this technique its not hard to hold it with your hand and screw it in and then get the wrench to tighten it

Thanks Dave. I didn't think my hands were _that_ big, but it's really tight. I will take a deep breath and try again tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2018   #24
mgbrv8

I understand it’s not ideal but it’s the lesser of the evils as they say.

Dave

Quote:
Thanks Dave. I didn't think my hands were _that_ big, but it's really tight. I will take a deep breath and try again tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2018   #25
ghlkal

Thanks again for the tip Dave.

I was actually able to replace the switch, and the easiest part was reaching in with the switch and getting it started. I may have been too cautious about tightening the switch, I stopped once the last thread disappeared. I fired it up for a few minutes and there's no leak. Of course, I need to run it up to temperature and continue to check it, but that's a job for tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2018   #26
mgbrv8

Thats great Sir I'm glad it was helpful

Dave

Quote:
Thanks again for the tip Dave.

I was actually able to replace the switch, and the easiest part was reaching in with the switch and getting it started. I may have been too cautious about tightening the switch, I stopped once the last thread disappeared. I fired it up for a few minutes and there's no leak. Of course, I need to run it up to temperature and continue to check it, but that's a job for tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2020   #27
secondchance

Quote:
Here are some more pics.

Dave
Well, I had a leak on the passenger side for awhile bu it wasn?t too bad. Recently, amount of leakage got to a point where oil was collecting on the cradle and drip on to the garage floor.
Ordered a replacement sensor from Jerry?s gasket and decided to replace it yesterday. To be sure I had necessary tools and for metal assurance, drove to Phils?s (Jagdpanzer) house.
Looking at it, not much but looked like I could stick my hand in there and get it out without drastic removal of oats. Impatient as I am, I started attacking it before the motor had time to cool. Holding 27mm sensor removal socket, 3/8? drive to 1/4? adapter and a 1/4? drive ratchet (wish I had swivel head), stuck my hand in there. After fiddling for awhile, 4 burned spots on my hand and skin peeling off, got the piece out.
Getting the new piece started was a breeze with Dr. Phil?s impromptu wooden extension mated to sensor connector head. Bolting it in was much easier since I am pushing and more room in that direction.
Phil did a postmortem and interesting the failure identical to mgbrv8?s finding.
I tried to upload the image but somehow I can?t convert to jpg.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020   #28
secondchance

Figured it out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158930...posted-public/
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020   #29
mgbrv8

Great work Secondchance👍🏻

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Well, I had a leak on the passenger side for awhile bu it wasn?t too bad. Recently, amount of leakage got to a point where oil was collecting on the cradle and drip on to the garage floor.
Ordered a replacement sensor from Jerry?s gasket and decided to replace it yesterday. To be sure I had necessary tools and for metal assurance, drove to Phils?s (Jagdpanzer) house.
Looking at it, not much but looked like I could stick my hand in there and get it out without drastic removal of oats. Impatient as I am, I started attacking it before the motor had time to cool. Holding 27mm sensor removal socket, 3/8? drive to 1/4? adapter and a 1/4? drive ratchet (wish I had swivel head), stuck my hand in there. After fiddling for awhile, 4 burned spots on my hand and skin peeling off, got the piece out.
Getting the new piece started was a breeze with Dr. Phil?s impromptu wooden extension mated to sensor connector head. Bolting it in was much easier since I am pushing and more room in that direction.
Phil did a postmortem and interesting the failure identical to mgbrv8?s finding.
I tried to upload the image but somehow I can?t convert to jpg.
Old 10-24-2022   #30
mmkkpro

Man, you guys ROCK. My 1990 just did this. No way to get to it from below, so from the top I go. I unplugged the switch and the connector is full of oil. Ordered one from Jerry a few minutes ago. Figure I will modify my sensor socket and may even try the wire trick. I took my motor mount nuts off, but engine will not budge, afraid to jack it up too hard. Thank you guys for all the ideas, it's a giant help.
mmkkpro is offline   Reply With Quote