ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-23-2014   #51
edram454

Default Re: SLP Cold air intake....Worth the money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgg View Post
One thing that has now been mentioned is how much nicer it is cruising in 6th gear with the 4:10s. A stock L98 in 6th has a bit of a low end advantage torque was which Gm found acceptable, even with 3:33 gears in 1990. Having bought one of these cars new it was marginally acceptable to be in 6th at 60mph. With only 4700 rpm to play with I understand it. However, a ZR-1 in 6th with 3:45s is just a frickn dog at legal highway speeds. NOt that 4:10s turn it into a torque monster by any stretch but it is much more pleasurable to drive and doesn't seem strained at all. With the rpm these cars have to play with it really seems to me to be a great gear for the street. I was actually schocked when I first drove my car after I installed the 4:10s as to how well they worked. I was really worried it might be too much but it is not even close. I could not be happier. As we have all discussed everyone uses his or her car differently, my best suggestion to anyone who is even considering the change to 4:10s or any gear for that matter is find a car with that gear ratio and go for a ride and drive. You will then have all the facts for yourself if it is in fact right for your needs.

A zr1 in 6 gear should be a dog. It is a cruising gas mileage gear. When I want to get high gas mileage I put it in 6th gear and watch my rpms drop and my gas mileage climb. Love it that way.

ed ramos #3028
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014   #52
Kevin

Default Re: SLP Cold air intake....Worth the money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette73 View Post
I am a new member and see a lot of members
With this set up,actually,a large percentage..

Back in the day if you had 4:11 gears you were always in the right
Lane on the highway......Since there are practically no ZR1s where I
Reside (Bk Ny or anywhere close) I'm going to have to
Take the word of the members....

Maybe to play it safe down the line 390s? .Undestand,I really
Won't be doing any consistent excessive speed on the
Highways,so gears wouldn't be a bad idea...Just,which size .

( 91 blk/blk ZR1 # 428)
(73 Stingray Convertible)
if you're doing gear go 4.10 or don't bother. I ran with a lightly modded 93, I think he had headers and exhaust to my chip, who would pull away from me easily but slowly. I'd claw back a few feet during his shift and then he'd keep pulling me.

I think kurt or dwights car was still a 368 at the time so I didn't feel super bad about it considering they could have put miles on the two of us