ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-20-2014   #31
Vette73

Default Re: SLP Cold air intake....Worth the money?

Hello..Edram454

What's up with the shifter? I will take it if nobody
Has beaten me to it...
You can PM me..

(Help a new guy out) lol..
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014   #32
edram454

Good choices. exhaust is always a good place to start. the modified air lid is another way. I have had a few c3's and I like them quite a bit. I had small blocks and a big block car. 4.10 gears might be for you. Many people have them and seem to like them. Zr1's are unique cars and I am sure you will come to appreciate that the more you own it.

ed ramos #3028
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014   #33
Fully Vetted

I prefer 3.90's. Gives you the low end grunt you're looking for and keeps you in 4th gear in the 1/4.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014   #34
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
I prefer 3.90's. Gives you the low end grunt you're looking for and keeps you in 4th gear in the 1/4.
Is there not enough revs to complete the 1/4 mile in 4th?

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014   #35
USAZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
Is there not enough revs to complete the 1/4 mile in 4th?
4.10's are good for 130mph in 4th. I'm sure David's ZR-1 is fast in the 1/4 but it isn't that fast.(unless he's running a 250 shot)
1994 ZR-1 White/Red #152 (sold)
1991 ZR-1 Callaway Aerobody #1332 (sold)
1990 ZR-1 Red/Red #952 (sold)
2002 Z06 Torch Red/Mod Red widebody
USAZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014   #36
KILLSHOTS

If you're basing your choice of gear ratio solely upon trap speed, then it seems to me that your ZR-1 is now just a drag car and you should probably get busy gutting your interior to save weight.

But, if you're considering a gear change for a DRIVER, then overall driveability should most probably be your major consideration, as opposed to whether you'll need to shift once more during a rare 1/4 mile run. Having switched to 4.10s and being surprised with how mild the change actually was, I personally would never consider spending that much money to go with LESS than 4.10s...3.90s just aren't enough of a change to drop that much coin, IMHO. In fact, knowing what I know now, I would have put 4.56s in mine. Just my 2 cents on gears; I'm sure I've pulled the string and the floodgates will now open...
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014   #37
mgg

I am always amazed at the response to 4:10 gear ratios. The negative remarks surrounding these gears is almost comical. From a dead stop and launch it is more difficult to not have tire spin but I hate to tell you guys independent rear ends are not made for drag racing. Just in case you didn't know ZR-1s are not drag cars. I didn't say it isn't fun but the car was never designed as a drag racer otherwise it would have a solid rear axle like a mustang! How often does your car spend time at the drag strip or launching from a dead stop really hard. My car is a Haibeck 510 package that has 4:10s. From a five mph roll in first gear the car hooks great and rockets out of the gate. Exiting a corner and getting on the gas the car can be right in its powerband and accelerates , pulls and hooks tremendously. The coilovers and Rippie brackets help hook up out of the corner but coming out of a third gear corner at 4 grand and having 7300 rpm to play with the 4:10s prove how valuable they are. I raced c4 corvettes in scca and nasa for over 15 years at race tracks from Watkins Glen to Summit Point and VIR and to hear these conversations regarding the disadvantage these gears have is ridiculous! If you are going to drag race buy drag radials and take advantage of the gears! The only scenario that has any validity would be in a mile shootout. 1/2 mile would most likely favor the 4:10s as you would get there more quickly. There is not a right or wrong answer it is want you want our of your car. I can tell you my 4:10s are never coming out! Remember the road racing rule, "he who gets on the gas fist wins" if you can pull harder out a corner and get a jump on the car behind you or beside you " given that brakes are somewhat equal as well as driving skill" it is VERY difficult to get past the car in front. Just my two cents but this conversation always flips my switch.
mgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014   #38
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgg View Post
I am always amazed at the response to 4:10 gear ratios. The negative remarks surrounding these gears is almost comical. From a dead stop and launch it is more difficult to not have tire spin but I hate to tell you guys independent rear ends are not made for drag racing. Just in case you didn't know ZR-1s are not drag cars. I didn't say it isn't fun but the car was never designed as a drag racer otherwise it would have a solid rear axle like a mustang! How often does your car spend time at the drag strip or launching from a dead stop really hard. My car is a Haibeck 510 package that has 4:10s. From a five mph roll in first gear the car hooks great and rockets out of the gate. Exiting a corner and getting on the gas the car can be right in its powerband and accelerates , pulls and hooks tremendously. The coilovers and Rippie brackets help hook up out of the corner but coming out of a third gear corner at 4 grand and having 7300 rpm to play with the 4:10s prove how valuable they are. I raced c4 corvettes in scca and nasa for over 15 years at race tracks from Watkins Glen to Summit Point and VIR and to hear these conversations regarding the disadvantage these gears have is ridiculous! If you are going to drag race buy drag radials and take advantage of the gears! The only scenario that has any validity would be in a mile shootout. 1/2 mile would most likely favor the 4:10s as you would get there more quickly. There is not a right or wrong answer it is want you want our of your car. I can tell you my 4:10s are never coming out! Remember the road racing rule, "he who gets on the gas fist wins" if you can pull harder out a corner and get a jump on the car behind you or beside you " given that brakes are somewhat equal as well as driving skill" it is VERY difficult to get past the car in front. Just my two cents but this conversation always flips my switch.
I'm with you. Anytime anybody mentions gears, suddenly all that matters is shift points and trap speeds. It's great to know that our cars are capable of quick 1/4 mile times, but whose ZR-1 spends more than just an occasional Saturday afternoon on a dragstrip?

It's a bit like choosing a lifted Jeep as my daily driver to use in outside sales, but running around telling everyone how great it was in the mud, that ONE time I took it offroad. Really? Does that really matter? Wouldn't I have been better off choosing a more practical vehicle to drive on-road, since that's where it spends 99.9% of its time? Same situation as choosing gears for the 1/4 mile, in my mind. Again, JMHO.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014   #39
Bob Eyres

The very fact that owners who run stock gears, or anything under 4.10's are running the quarter with a three speed proves my point. With a three speed you are sacrificing flexibility, and performance.
I learned that with my first small block chevy in 1965. My 57' hardtop was quicker, and more fun to drive with a four speed. Gas was cheap, and after popping 4.56's in the rear....yeeehaw, I had a real street machine.
Then in 1970, I built my first Corvette, a split window solid lifter 340hp/327 with 4.56's and low profile rubber. Once again amazed, that little car just squatted and launched, holding off my buddies L88 powered GTO for a block (before he hooked up ).
To me the ZR-1 is a reincarnation of that car, a high winding screamer that will stay with anything on the road.
I'm obviously a believer in short gears, especially with our 7,200rpm LT5. Let the bitch sing,..... please.
And we have the luxury of TWO more gears after fourth, fifth for high speed work, and sixth for mileage. What could be better?

With 4.10 gears, a ZR-1 in sixth gear theoretically tops out around 270mph. Does anyone think that isn't enough?
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014   #40
Fully Vetted

The bottom line to me is you can only choose one gear. You have to figure out what your goal is and what sacrifices you're willing to make. Personally, I don't track my car. But, the stock gears are dogs on the street and I was tired of having to be just in the right gear all the time. The 3.90's still allow me to use first gear effectively while cruising while at the same time giving 3rd and 4th gear a ton more punch. I'm not saying 4.10's don't do the same but I have closed 80% of the gap between stock and 4.10's and I haven't given up anything. If you've done the mods and can pull a little taller gear I would say go with 3.90's or even 3.73's. I've always gone with the rule that for street cars the more power you have the taller gear you can pull.

BTW - there are plenty of threads about this very subject on this site and they all end the same. People have different uses for their Z and every one of them require a different gear set up.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote