ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-21-2021   #1
onethumb

Default '91 cosmetic refresh/restore

I thought I'd share my journey here with my '91.

I bought it 4 years ago from a forum member. It already had numerous upgrades (Haibeck 500, blueprinted trans from Bill Boudreau, harness bar, etc), and had been *very* well cared for by it's previous owner.

So I did what any rational person would do---I drove it

My intent was never to make it a project, as it was a very good car as-is. But I can't leave well enough alone....

The paint, although cared for well, had been polished down to the very bottom of the clear coat, and the car had a number of rock chips and such from being driven on the AZ highways.

So I tried one last polish, but I was pulling color off with it, so I knew it either had to be left alone or I'd have to paint it.

And over the last 4 years, I've totally become attached to the car. I can't imagine ever selling it now.

So I painted it. And if you're going to paint, you might as well really go at it. No half-assed jobs. Be bold. Have fun.

So here we are: my ZR-1 with it's new color: Tangelo Tri-Coat Pearl by House of Kolor. Base color is white, with 9 layers of color applied on top. Hard paint to work with, as it goes on thin, but the effect is outstanding. Lots of flop in the sunlight--it really brings out the awesome lines of the car, particularly the rear.

More to come--I have wheels on order and the interior will be it's own project too. That gap between the dash and the passenger side fairing just bugs the hell out of me, and some of the materials could use an update too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210921_093946.jpg (139.4 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg 20210921_094009.jpg (126.6 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 20210921_094034.jpg (129.1 KB, 110 views)
Old 09-21-2021   #2
secondchance

Default Re: '91 cosmetic refresh/restore

Fantastic! I am truly happy for you. I went through a similar saga between 2009 to 2016 with a lot of help from the WAZOO gang.
When bored, run a search under ?threads started by? secondchance. It might make an interesting read by timeline.
Enjoy your car! You might consider Xpel at least on front bumper, below the belt line where the front fender, doors, dog legs and rear fenders start to tuck under. Just my two cents.
secondchance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021   #3
HAWAIIZR-1

Thanks for sharing your project. Nice!! 🤙🏼

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021   #4
PhillipsLT5

Thanks for the kind words, glad to see you are enjoying and caretaking, I do miss #1258, I do agree with Xpel at this point
https://www.xpel.com/clearbra-instal...ona/scottsdale
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021   #5
onethumb

Yes, that's what I'm hearing from everyone. Seems like the smart thing to do next while I wait for wheels.
Old 09-22-2021   #6
GOLDCYLON

Also concur just redid the nose on my CTS-V and have an appointment for stage one kit on 15 Oct. what wheels did you choose ?

Bill did my transmission on my 91 as well and it's been bullet proof. One of the reasons bought my first ZR-2 and I drove her home from Houston in 2006 after my first tour in Iraq.

GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 09-22-2021 at 01:43 AM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021   #7
Matt B

Wow, that color is stunning!!! Great taste and it really pleases the car. Looking forward to to further pictures.

Sent from my SM-G991B using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021   #8
JThomas

The car is looking great!
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021   #9
AirbusDriver

Very good looking car!
AirbusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021   #10
ghlkal

That orange paint is fantastic

I just saw the ZR-2 Big Doggie at Effingham and I was struck at how nice orange looked on a C4.

Did you do the paint yourself??
1990 ZR-1 #2180 Red/Black
Many of the usual mods for 460HP, tuned by Marc Haibeck
ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1548
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote