ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-21-2018   #1
KFoster

Default VATS Question

At least I think it’s a VATS question. I bought a bypass for the ignition a while back and installed it. My problem persists though. Car will crank fine. Then when I shut it off, it may or may not crank back up. Doesn’t trip the starter solenoid or anything. Security light will come on then go off without it cranking or trying to crank. Then leave it for a while and it will crank just fine. So, I still can’t trust this thing. Would like to park it at Walmart with the keys in it. Any ideas? I would like to totally and permanently disarm the VATS. If someone steals it, fine. I can’t use it as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

Passed on: 1984 930S (gray market), 1988 Mustang Coupe Trooper car(drag)
KFoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: VATS Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFoster View Post
At least I think it’s a VATS question. I bought a bypass for the ignition a while back and installed it. My problem persists though. Car will crank fine. Then when I shut it off, it may or may not crank back up. Doesn’t trip the starter solenoid or anything. Security light will come on then go off without it cranking or trying to crank. Then leave it for a while and it will crank just fine. So, I still can’t trust this thing. Would like to park it at Walmart with the keys in it. Any ideas? I would like to totally and permanently disarm the VATS. If someone steals it, fine. I can’t use it as it is.

I wonder if this is the infamous clutch safety switch which is mimicking a VATS issue. A lot of us have had this bypass done due to the "Starts run fine, shutoff then wont start for hours"

Look up clutch bypass in the search there is a lot data on this. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018   #3
KFoster

I appreciate the response. I guess it’s hard for me to think it’s that even though I have read so much about it on here. Rather not bypass it is one issue. I would think it would either work or not, why would the switch not go out entirely? My fist corvette. Owned several and worked on a bunch of mustangs and I’ve never seen a clutch switch problem. Probably a dozen or so Camaros with no issues, but that’s more limited. Guess it just makes me think it’s not that. If it wouldn’t crank at all I would think clutch switch.

Old 12-21-2018   #4
mhobtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFoster View Post
Would like to park it at Walmart with the keys in it. Any ideas? I would like to totally and permanently disarm the VATS. If someone steals it, fine. I can’t use it as it is.

I'm right down I-65 from you in North Shelby County. If you are going to throw it out, let me know and I will come haul it off for you.

Seriously though, I installed the bypass relay on mine and the starter isues are no more. Have you checked the terminals at the starter to be sure they are clean?

Last edited by mhobtr; 12-21-2018 at 11:41 PM.
mhobtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018   #5
KFoster

Yes. Starter was good when I painted the intake. I’ll look into the bypass. Would rather disable VATS first if that is possible.

Old 12-22-2018   #6
Dynomite

Seems to me it be a sticky solenoid related to heat as you stated "doesn't trip the starter solenoid" when turning the key on a hot engine.

The only item in that starter circuit that gets hot is the starter itself including the starter solenoid. And this issue is definitely related to Heat.

It could also be the coil that creates the magnetic force to pull the Solenoid closed. You should be able to hear a click when you turn the key if the Solenoid moved into contact position. If you do hear a "click" then it be the Starter Solenoid Points which is a normal restoration item when I do a "Top End Restoration". I always check the freedom of movement of the Starter Solenoid also and clean the Solenoid and cylinder in which it moves

I would not "disable" Vats or disable anything as a fix. (That is not a restoration...…... kind of like solving the Power Key lack of function by eliminating the Secondaries)

I DO eliminate the TB Coolant function as that really has no usable function as I do NOT drive the Zs in cold (icy) climates when it is 15 deg F or colder.
Post 192 - Injector Housing TB Coolant Blocking

I DO install the Starter Relay on all Zs (except 95') to cure the possible low voltage (do to Starter Circuit deterioration or low battery voltage over time) to the starter Solenoid.
Post 52 - Starter, Starter Relay, Wiring Harness, Battery, and Plugs Tricks

You can HOT WIRE the Starter Solenoid to see if that is an issue going direct (purple wire) from battery to Starter Solenoid (Key off and in neutral).

Remember the Zs are very easy to push start in second gear in emergencies

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-22-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018   #7
mhobtr

In the first post you said " I bought a bypass for the ignition a while back and installed it."

What did you buy?
Old 12-22-2018   #8
KFoster

VATS code 12 security override system. $31. You check the ohm of your chip in your key and then order the bypass harness with the correct resistance. It installs easily. It thinks the chip in the key is always making contact.

Old 12-22-2018   #9
mhobtr

Sooner or later all Z owners have to deal with the low voltage issue in the starter circuit.

Installation of the bypass relay will eliminate that.

I wrote a long dissertation as to why but then figured it was too boring and no one would be interested, so I deleted it.
Old 12-22-2018   #10
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobtr View Post
Sooner or later all Z owners have to deal with the low voltage issue in the starter circuit.

Installation of the bypass relay will eliminate that.

I wrote a long dissertation as to why but then figured it was too boring and no one would be interested, so I deleted it.

I would be interested in any technical discussion/dissertation you may have.....I always learn something

I have deleted many technical posts when I see no comment/response or lack of interest but I give it a chance
There are many that look and learn but do not say anything

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-22-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote