ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 Members' Rides

Old 03-22-2014   #1
MikeSuke

Default Hello from a new member!

Hi,
My name is Mike, I live in North Eastern Pennsylvania and I just registered today. Took a chance - I just purchased a 1991 ZR-1 off of that auction site and trying to figure out exactly what I got. The car definitely has some mystery to it. Will see if I'm lucky or not...

The car was shipped from California. The title had repo papers attached to it, so somewhere someone must have been very sad. Because of this I don't think the seller knew everything about the car, seems to have bounced to him from an auction through some dealer... Still trying to sort out the title so unfortunately I can only drive it in the driveway! :-( Fingers crossed it gets resolved...

I found a crumbled up page to what appears to be the Haibek chip installation manual under the drivers seat. Explains why the power key mode default is On. Need to confirm that. I have no valet key, hoping I can get one.

The exhaust is supposedly from Billy Boat. Looks like it may be, still need to crawl under. But with the flat tire, its pretty low to the ground Tires are crappy but that was disclosed... no spare, no jack, no wheel wrench

The wheels seem to be 95(?) chrome wheels... but they are not real unfortunately... stamped AFS inside.... I have the black version of the AFSs on my 89 L98. I hear mixed reviews... I like them on that car... on this one... eh....may try to go back to stock so if anyone has any they'd like to part with please PM me!!

The front brakes don't appear to be stock. calipers have "Corvette" machined into them. Will need to pull a front wheel and see what is the deal with those...

the hood has the lift assist cylinders removed, Would one remove those if they pulled the whole hood off? perhaps they just didn't put em back? Makes me wonder whats up there...

The whole engine seems to have a bronze color to it. Every picture I've seen looks nothing like this color. Always more of a silver, from what I can see, no? Not sure what to make of this, any ideas?

Starts and runs, but a bit tough to restart when its hot...

Well...Thanks in advance for any info or "Good Luck, Pal" s

Best Regards,
Mike
MikeSuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #2
USAZR1

Default Re: Hello from a new member!

Welcome to the Brotherhood,Mike. You have come to the right place for answers about your ZR-1.
Post a few photos of your car when you get a chance.
1994 ZR-1 White/Red #152 (sold)
1991 ZR-1 Callaway Aerobody #1332 (sold)
1990 ZR-1 Red/Red #952 (sold)
2002 Z06 Torch Red/Mod Red widebody
USAZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #3
We Gone

Welcome, post some pics, What color? sounds like it has GS or later calipers on it. The jack & spare are the same as any 90 up C4. The later C4's did not have the 2 small lift cylinders just the prop rod they can be added to a 91.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #4
scottfab

First welcome to the club Mike. You'll notice some of us have "Member" under our names (to the left of this text) That means we pay a small dues to support the club operations. It's not mandatory but maybe later on when you get settle in you'll join up. Most stuff here is free whether you join or not. There are two main parts to the club known as the "ZR-1 Net Registry". There is this part, the part you're reading this from called the "Forum" and also a webpage at:
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/
On that webpage under "INFORMATION" you'll see a lot of useful stuff.
As for your questions.....see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSuke View Post
Hi,
My name is Mike, I live in North Eastern Pennsylvania and I just registered today. Took a chance - I just purchased a 1991 ZR-1 off of that auction site and trying to figure out exactly what I got. The car definitely has some mystery to it. Will see if I'm lucky or not...

The car was shipped from California. The title had repo papers attached to it, so somewhere someone must have been very sad. Because of this I don't think the seller knew everything about the car, seems to have bounced to him from an auction through some dealer... Still trying to sort out the title so unfortunately I can only drive it in the driveway! :-( Fingers crossed it gets resolved...
Well I hope you got a great deal.

Quote:
I found a crumbled up page to what appears to be the Haibek chip installation manual under the drivers seat. Explains why the power key mode default is On. Need to confirm that. I have no valet key, hoping I can get one.
Great, you have a chip from one of our premier tuners. Sound like you may have the key delete mod for sure. Some prefer that and other deleted systems. You'll have to decide for yourself as you come up to speed on the car. I prefer to keep every thing in working order so the next person with my car will know what's what. But that's just me. You'll be hearing much about your other options from others with differing opinions. It's all good. You can definitely find a valet key and make it functional too. Mine is.

Quote:
The exhaust is supposedly from Billy Boat. Looks like it may be, still need to crawl under. But with the flat tire, its pretty low to the ground Tires are crappy but that was disclosed... no spare, no jack, no wheel wrench
You can shop around for replacements here in one of the forums other sections (For Sale and Wanted).

Quote:
The wheels seem to be 95(?) chrome wheels... but they are not real unfortunately... stamped AFS inside.... I have the black version of the AFSs on my 89 L98. I hear mixed reviews... I like them on that car... on this one... eh....may try to go back to stock so if anyone has any they'd like to part with please PM me!!
I have a spare set I might part with if you run out of options and want the stock wheels. (many call the OEM wheels "saw blades")

Quote:
The front brakes don't appear to be stock. calipers have "Corvette" machined into them. Will need to pull a front wheel and see what is the deal with those...
Sounds like maybe some C5 vintage brakes. We'd need pictures to confirm this.

Quote:
the hood has the lift assist cylinders removed, Would one remove those if they pulled the whole hood off? perhaps they just didn't put em back? Makes me wonder whats up there...
You should have just one long (~3ft) lift on the driver's side.

Quote:
The whole engine seems to have a bronze color to it. Every picture I've seen looks nothing like this color. Always more of a silver, from what I can see, no? Not sure what to make of this, any ideas?
Sounds like it was painted with maybe some after market paint in a can or maybe was washed with a harsh cleaner that discolored it? Who knows.

Quote:
We'll help you work out the kinks. Lots of knowledgeable folks here to help.

Quote:

Best Regards,
Mike
Again, WELCOME Mike. Nice to have ya here !

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people

Last edited by scottfab; 03-22-2014 at 05:25 PM.
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #5
MikeSuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAZR1 View Post
Welcome to the Brotherhood,Mike. You have come to the right place for answers about your ZR-1.
Post a few photos of your car when you get a chance.
thank you!! really nice to be here!! will post a few pics now.
Old 03-23-2014   #6
MikeSuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone View Post
Welcome, post some pics, What color? sounds like it has GS or later calipers on it. The jack & spare are the same as any 90 up C4. The later C4's did not have the 2 small lift cylinders just the prop rod they can be added to a 91.
Learning already! thank you!
Old 03-23-2014   #7
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Quote:
Hi,

Best Regards,
Mike
Mike

First off congrats!

Haibeck chip will give default key on, but buying a spare key won't be expensive. I haven't needed mine and it's more for show.

Spare / wheel jack / wheel wrench are available.

Finding stock 1991 wheels are pretty easy to find and reasonably priced. Depending on condition $500 to $1000.

Brakes sound like GS or a C5 brake upgrade. Either way, good way to go!

If the engine has a bronze tint, sounds like 10 year old powdercoating... Is it flaking a little?

Congrats and looking forward to seeing pictures

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #8
ScottZ95ZR1

Welcome to our club and forum, Mike! Congrats on your purchase.
ScottZ95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #9
MikeSuke

Thank you for all the info. looks like the tire issue is actually a crack in the rim... liking this brand a lot less now. Thanks for letting me know about the stock set of wheels, I may reach out to you on those.. really appreciate it.

here are a few pictures my ZR-1, mostly from the auction page. I posted one of the caliper, didn't come out so great but hopefully enough to identify it!

Also, you can see the color of the engine. at first I thought it was just the way the photo came out but it really is a bronze, almost greenish color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front3.jpg (148.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg LT5_1.jpg (147.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg interior2.jpg (106.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg caliper.jpg (321.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg rear3.jpg (114.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-23-2014   #10
We Gone

Looks like GS calipers for sure, the motor looks like normal discoloration form age or improper cleaning.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote