Pirelli 4 1.26%
Sumitomo 36 11.36%
Vredestein 20 6.31%
Yokohama 4 1.26%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2008   #11
USAFPILOT

Default Re: Which brand of street tires are you running on

Still have GSC's on mine...they are 11 years old and I need a new set. I want the GSD3's but am waiting for production...thinking about getting the BFG COMP TA KD tires on the website here...but I'm not sure. I had the GSD3's on a set of 2002 Z06 wheels which were mounted to my LT4 I had prior to the ZR1 and was really happy with those tires. I've had the khumo and sumitumo brands and wont go back...also the previous BFG tires I had were very hard to balance, so I am not convinced that the cheap set on the forum is the way to go either, but maybe, because they did provide great traction. They are 2nd to the F1 GSD3's for me.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #12
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

BFG KD's were on the car when I bought it 5 years ago...

Love them and bought another set (2 actually).

For the money BFG KD's are great, but D3's(& impossible to get) are probably the best tire for the ZR1. Too many people have said how awesome they are, but the GF puts me on a budget bigtime.
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #13
bobbyhi

I've got D3's on mine. Still have a few thousand miles left so I haven't thought about replacing yet. It will be decision time when it comes
1990 #2405 White/Gray
Haibeck chip,4:09 gears,Power Effects Exhaust,5 spoke chrome,C5 brakes,49th Street rockers,K&N,Hurst,Headers,Upper & lower ported

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19
bobbyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #14
Ccmano

Sumi's here... and I have to say I'm satisfied with them, for the price. Run well wet, quite, ride and wear well, traction is fair. Price was the only consideration when I bought them. They have 7,000 miles on them now and are wearing well.

I'll switch to Goodyear GS-D3's in the spring if they become available. I want better handling and traction. They also look much better because they are wider.

Hans
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #15
1990 quasar blue

BFG KD's. I bought these late last fall and didn't think they were that great. However, once the outside temps got above 60, I quickly changed my mind. All I can compare them with are GSC's and Gatorbacks since they"re the only other sets Ive had and It's BFG hands down. My only complaint now is trying to get them to Roadforce under 10. They always seems to have a vibration between 65 and 85.
1990 ZR1 #2574
Medium Quasar Blue Metallic
1 of 19
1990 quasar blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #16
USAFPILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 quasar blue
They always seems to have a vibration between 65 and 85.
I had the same problem with my BFG's too. I think it will be the GSD3 if I can find some.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #17
flyin ryan

all my cars have the factory rubber witch means A: Goodyear &
B: they're hatched
i'm a Goodyear guy though. for a bunch of reasons. my father in-law ran a Goodyear store for years, a good friend of mine owns his own store (30 seconds from my shop), use nothing but Goodyear Eagle slicks on my ¼ mile car (because they work), they are heavily involved in drag racing, hard to argue about performance, they flat out look good & most importantly they are the O.E.M. manufacturer on our cars. i've been holding out for them to begin production again & thankfully they are . bottom line...it's personal preferance & there's nothing wrong with that
Old 09-08-2008   #18
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default GY F1 GS D3s...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Factor
In addition to voting in the poll, please expand on the reason you have them on your ZR-1 (performance, cost, wet weather handling, etc.). If you have different size rims please include that in your post.

I did some research and found some skid pad results. Of the 10 or so leading sport tires tested, these GY F1 GS D3s had the best wet/dry traction combination. The best dry was the BFG KDs, but they really took a back seat on the wet skid pad. Whereas, the GYs pulled only a couple tenths less Gs on the pad dry than the BFGs, but were almost as good on wet as dry - waaaaay better than the BFGs (wet).

They're quiet, and they stick extremely well, I find. I like um!

P.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #19
tomtom72

Put me in the GS-D3 camp also....I knew when I bought my car that it had the original rubber still on it after 14.5 yrs.... and the OO was saying how much tread was left on the fronts....the rears were a bit thin...he allowed..

The D3's are the noisest tire I've ever ridden on, tarmac or cement. They seem to have very stiff sidewalls so they are not a plush ride. They also get caught in the ruts that trucks leave in hot asphalt and you really have to hang on, and oh yea, did I mention they're noisy? Okay so those are my 'cons' about this tire.

My 'pros' are these tires could proly part the red sea! Oh yea I saw the skid pad data at TireRack and decided to try them based upon that data and the customer/user reviews. If wet grip is important to you above all else....Get these tires! I haven't ridden on rain tires this good since my last set of CN36's in VR, a very noisy tire as well .......the D3's send water out the side, not backward, & will leave dry tire lines in moderately wet conditions. On an interstate with about an inch of standing water they will not go numb in a puddle of moderate depth, the wet braking and turn in, and steady state conering loads that they generate are a thing of joy! In the dry, they need lots of heat before they stick like velcro...if you can smell'em inside the car, they're just right....but at that point they are proly wearing like there is no tomorrow but ya can't have everything. My fronts have been on my car since 8200 and I have 33,000 + now and they have not scalloped/feathered with a fair amount enthusiastic driving. Oh, and the fronts still have plenty of meat left, so don't be afraid of the soft wear rating. I may have to throw them out before they actually wear out. Their reaction to steering input is very satisfying as is the dry grip (when hot), be careful when they are cold as they have little grip at that point & slide around easily....but once they get some heat in'em it's fun time. Overall, I have to give kudos to G/Yr, I'm gonna be a repeat buyer, even at the price level of this rubber.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #20
TommyL

BFGs ... only tire available for the Z other then Sumis. I am very happy with the BFG...they look great and handle very good.

I understand they will be available again for our cars as well.
TommyL is offline   Reply With Quote