ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-18-2013   #21
zig

Default Re: Vacuum pump

Went to look at the other solenoid. Did the exact same thing. Leaked down from 12" vacuum in about 7 seconds. The original one in the car was better than that so I didn't buy it. I checked the rest of the secondary vacuum system and it held 12" for 5 minutes with a drop of less than .5". I'd say the rest of the system is good. The resevoir also checked good.

I think the problem in the solenoid is a metal pintle on a metal seat and a good seal without a decent amount of pressure is difficult at best. If anything contamination gets in there, it'll leak worse.

Scott - I also flipped my actuators and one wouldn't open all the way. Turned it back around and it was fine.

RacinFan - Screen looks great. That poroject is on my short list.

Car is going back together. I'm having withdrawal sysmptoms already.
1991 ZR-1 #85, 21,000 miles
1991 Z28, L98, 62,000 miles
1996 Collector Edition Convertible, 87,000 miles
zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #22
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig View Post
... snip....
Scott - I also flipped my actuators and one wouldn't open all the way. Turned it back around and it was fine.
....snip..
You can't just flip it. you have to flip it and bend the L bracket such that it pulls straight. The problem with leaving it where it "looks wrong" is that one (next owner or me if I forget) would be tempted to flip it later.
Every time you look at it, it's going to look wrong.
Now mine looks correct and opperates correctly.

This being backward/upside-down is all fairly well understood and there is testimony from the facory workers as this being the way the factory installed them to opperate without stickintg. That there is no doubt to.
My hack/change/modification/kludge to the system is to avoid confusion later by removing the visually upsetting alignment.
Leaving it looking funny but working ok is just fine for most I think.
Each to their own.
Some (few) even see fit to rip out the entire system because it's too hard for them to keep working properly. I think that's pretty funny.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #23
zig

Scott - You sound a lot like me. I didn't like the way they looked. Even though I can't see them, I know they look wrong. Next time I pull the plenum I'll "fix" the actuators. Getting ready to fill the coolant then a test start. Reading the coolant fill solutions to make sure I don't have any gotcha moments.
Old 08-18-2013   #24
Dynomite

Quote:
I didn't like the way they looked. Even though I can't see them, I know they look wrong. Next time I pull the plenum I'll "fix" the actuators. Getting ready to fill the coolant then a test start. Reading the coolant fill solutions to make sure I don't have any gotcha moments.
I think the concensus is to leave the actuators the way they are as they are set in their ways. Now if you install new actuators you might set them so they pull straight......just saying what I do

Secondary Canister Installation TIPS

Last edited by Dynomite; 08-18-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Dynomite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #25
zig

Finished putting her back together. No codes, no leaks and no abnormal issues/sounds with no go backs! Let the coolant and oil get up to temp then test drove it. Wow. Original plugs and injectors were a definite problem. Runs smooth and the power comes on smooth and fast. I used to have a 2001 Z06 and this is just as fast and the LT-5 sounds better in my opinion.

Dynomite - I used your coolant filling procedure. Perfect first time. Thanks.

Now if I could just get the ABS working she'll be 100%.

Thanks again Scott, Tom, Dynomite and RacinFan83 for being a sounding board. This is the third time going to the bottom of the top end and I still learn things every time. Cars are back in the stable. Now it's time for an adult beverage or three.
Old 08-29-2013   #26
zig

I wanted to provide an update to the vacuum solenoid issue that I was dealing with in case someone finds this in a search. I went through 3 solenoids that were similar in form, fit and function but were housed in a different mount. All the solenoids leaked down at various rates and caused the vacuum pump to kick on from 3 to 10 seconds. I then ordered an AC/Delco solenoid part number 1997222 I found online. It holds a vacuum with no leaks. So in my experience, the newer solenoids do not hold a vacuum. If you can find a NOS part, that is the route to go. If anyone finds a new solenoid that does not leak down, please let me know. I would much rather spend $25 vice the outrageous price of an NOS part.
Old 08-29-2013   #27
scottfab

Quote:
Scott - You sound a lot like me. I didn't like the way they looked. Even though I can't see them, I know they look wrong. Next time I pull the plenum I'll "fix" the actuators. Getting ready to fill the coolant then a test start. Reading the coolant fill solutions to make sure I don't have any gotcha moments.
Yes, either fix them or leave a note with a tie wrap near them that explains the issue. The way they look is a magnet for your eyes. It's like seeing a picture frame that is unlevel. One's inclination is to just straighten it. But in this case you have to fix it correctly by flipping and bending the L bracket then testing.

I'm glad to hear she runs again. Study well on the ABS before jumping in.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote