ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > General > ZR-1 Net Registry Club News

View Poll Results: Would you opt for a Lifetime Membership if it were available?
Yes 23 28.05%
No 29 35.37%
Maybe (more info needed or depending on price) 30 36.59%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2013   #31
Kevin

Default Re: Lifetime Membership discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1 View Post
I was looking for the place to pay for the right to be a lifetime member here when I stumbled upon this thread. Not sure about the suggested $350 dollar or higher cost though. It really doesn't cost much to maintain a forum with a domain name. Other forums I am a member of charge less than $20 for yearly and less than $100 for lifetime. Let's not forget supporting vendors who can advertise their products. They also have banner ads that display to the non-paying members.

After going back and reading some of the comments on this thread, it seems some of the members of this forum considers this forum strictly as a ZR-1 LT5 club. Hate to say it, but as a Z06 owner, I feel a little left out by some of the comments I have read thus far considering I am planning on owning a newer ZR1. As it is, this is the closest thing to a ZR1 forum I can find. I can only hope you all consider opening your arms to C6 ZR1 owners as well. I'll save my drawn out comments on what I had to do just to figure out what the random answer was to even join this forum. Obviously it is not LS9 or Supercharged. Now that I look at the banner, this sight is exclusive to C4 ZR-1.

Currently as a non ZR-1 owner but rather a future ZR1 owner and a true Corvette enthusiast, my comments might not hold much water. Who knows, I might be rubbing some the wrong way. But keep in mind, there are many like me who would support this Corvette forum as long as it shows a long term business plan by promoting yearly and lifetime membership plans along with open arms to all ZR1 Corvette owners, past, present, or future.

With all that said, how is this forum supported? There has to be ads somewhere or someone is being very generous.

If I may be so bold as the latest noobie on this forum and an average webmaster, may I suggest to the administrators of this forum to look into Z06Vette.com forum and see how they do business. Success breeds success!

For the record, I am only providing a fresh perspective to what I have seen in the short amount of time I have been here. I would not be offended if anyone were to tell me to go pound sand.

If you can't tell, I am all about promoting anything Corvette, especially ZR1. As a future ZR1 owner, I would consider buying this sight if someone is willing to sell it just to allow newer ZR1 owners a place to communicate. I know a good investment when I see one. This is why I drive, race, and show Corvettes. Corvette is best bang for the buck!

You all have a great forum here and for the current price to be here, nobody can complain, especially me.
yes this site is mainly about the C4 zr-1 but that doesn't mean its exclusively a c4 zr-1 forum. Most of us have known each other over the life of 2 or 3 zr-1 registries, I've have my car since 1999, long before the c6 zr1 was ever thought of, and quite a few of us are the same way. But that isn't to say we against c6 zr1's or even c7 if they come to be, we welcome all who are interested in the zr-1/zr1 even if you're not an owner. I know at carlise two years ago there were several c6 zr1 that parked next to the c4 zr-1 and that's the way it should be.

Seeing as you're new, you may not know the history of the zr-1 registries dating back over the years, there have been 3. The original zr-1 registry that Larry Merrow had for the better part of a decade which passed away with him, there was the LT5 registry, which Clint Hooper started and ran for a few years which disbanded, then there was the zr1 net, which was an email list serve run by Dave Bright. When the LT5 registry died Dave started this registry combining the ZR-1 net with a formal registry and giving it the name of the zr1 net registry with the list serve being a separate thing. At no point has owning a zr-1 been necessary to join the zr-1 net registry, I had a 91 L98 when I joined then moved up to my zr-1. Until the ZR-1 net registry, there was no zr1 to have as members, only the ZR-1.

I looked at z06vette.com and i'm happy our admin doesn't think that's the way to do things. I also don't know if I'd come in talking about wanting to buy the forum in my first post...

Last edited by Kevin; 08-14-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #32
We Gone

I voted maybe,

Here is how I see it. I do think there should be value in how long you have been an owner of the C4 ZR-1, Your participation in this and past ZR-1 forums. Your contributions to helping other ZR-1 owners. Based on this criteria a once a year vote by the members for 1 maybe up to 3 member to be moved to an elite status would be nice.
I belong to a computer form that you earn flames tagged under your aviator based on help you provided to others applied by those you have helped, I like this because it shows recognition to those who contribute the most applied by the members. The member who applies a vote also gets to add a short thank you note. this is viewable in the members details for others to view. If I remember it takes 100 or so votes to get the first flame than to 150 for 2, 300 for 3 you get the point. This is just an example. (overclock.net)

Now as far as a lifetime membership, after reading all the posts to date I believe it could be detrimental to the registries long term health. I say this because they will never build any more LT5 ZR-1's so this limits the overall membership. I also would not like it become covered with adds a few would be ok as long as they are related to our ZR-1's specifically. What I think needs to be done is a better awareness of our organization to recruit new ZR-1 owners.

Now on to keeping things alive moving into the future. The new ZR1 would be a great way to accomplish this it would be just a matter of blending the new with the old as they will be the ones to carry the ZR1 mystic into the future and it is again a limited production Corvette with the same performance status that was established with the ZR-1.

Steve

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #33
ZR1

Great feedback!

After further review, I think what you guys have going here is a great thing and should be left as is.

As stated in a private message to Hammer, for some reason I did not make the connection between the Registry website and the forum. I was looking for a forum for newer ZR1s and this is the only one that came up. I failed to realize and understand the uniqueness of the ZR-1 and its sponsoring web based registry club. Hence the question on how this forum was funded which was answered by the admins.

I do not mean to stir the pot or offend anyone. As a Z06 owner, I understand the importance of keeping the integrity of a specific model of Corvette. In the case of the ZR-1, it is a very unique and specific to it's generation. I would have to concur on keeping the integrity of this forum as is for the purist at heart.

As for buying the forum, that was made in jest not knowing of the website behind it. Really, the last thing I would want to do is come in and change it knowing what I know now.

Until I buy a new garage with a house attached to it, I do not foresee owning a ZR-1 anytime in the near future. Honestly, if I had the garage space, I would have already purchased Frank's black ZR-1 and joined this site months ago. It is a sweet ride with great show quality.

As it is, I am looking to buy a newer ZR1 and will continue my search for a forum that is better suited for my research. Who knows, if I cannot find it, I might have to create one.

Thanks to all those who have made me feel welcome here. It just confirms my belief that ALL Corvette owners are good people and that no matter what type of Corvette someone owns, we are all family because of it.

As they say, I came for the car and I stayed for the people.

Again, you all have a great thing going here. I wouldn't change a thing!

One last thing concerning this thread:
For lifetime membership, our local Corvette club honors its members with a lifetime membership with no dues to those who have been members for 20 years. Just a thought.

Last edited by ZR1; 08-14-2013 at 01:28 PM.
ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #34
scottfab

Quote:
Great feedback!

....snip...

One last thing concerning this thread:
For lifetime membership, our local Corvette club honors its members with a lifetime membership with no dues to those who have been members for 20 years. Just a thought.

Now I LIKE that idea !!
It's not about the money.
It's about the dedication.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #35
PhillipsLT5

I like it too, maybe I am 1/2 way home
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #36
FU

Hmmm you pose some very interesting idea's Mr. ZR1, please come forward and introduce yourself.

Thank you,
Frank U.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #37
Fully Vetted

Quote:
...For lifetime membership, our local Corvette club honors its members with a lifetime membership with no dues to those who have been members for 20 years...
19 more years to go. The Blue Beast will be 38 years old!

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #38
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipsLT5 View Post
I like it too, maybe I am 1/2 way home
I guess I'm a bit over 3/4 the way but depends on if credit is
counted and transferable from the now three club (club names)
that there have been.
1. ZR-1 Registry
2. ZR-1 Net
3. ZR-1 Net Registry

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #39
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
I guess I'm a bit over 3/4 the way but depends on if credit is
counted and transferable from the now three club (club names)
that there have been.
1. ZR-1 Registry
2. ZR-1 Net
3. ZR-1 Net Registry
Don't forget the lt5 registry and the president that stole our money
Old 01-18-2014   #40
alnukem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
Okay just some thoughts from the peanut gallery..... I would proly opt for a Lifetime Membership, but I voted "NO" in the poll. At $400 or even $500 for a 10 yr paid up membership to me it would just be a way of not having to remember to re-up every year. I just fear that too many options make for a nightmare in book keeping? Or maybe over time we run short of money to run the club??? I'd hate to see inflation damage our operating budget, or make it difficult to run our club. I guess my reasoning is pretty lame?

Okay, just as a reference I have been trying for the last few yrs to find it in my budget to convert my NCM membership from annual to lifetime. Every time I think I'm close I seem to encounter some bump in the road that scrubs the thought. I bring that up because to me that is more the scale of payment needed to make a "life time membership" work for any club???? I guess that's pretty lame also, no?

I just had a BFO! I remember back before the internet, 1977, when I was putting my 72 back together how difficult it was to get accurate info on the 'how to' aspect of doing a mechanical restoration....even the FSM wasn't all encompassing, and you just didn't know that many people who knew the car inside and out. This club and the NCM serve as an anchor points so I would be very sad to see either go down due to lack of funds. I'd even go a bit further. If this club went dark, I'd sell and get a C6 because the potential issues that could crop up would be way beyond my personal mechanical abilities. Oh, and yes I do realize that I should go to Gordon's school before it's too late....another money story! LOL But that would be the only way I'd keep the car if we went dark over here. JMHO

Tom
I did not vote yet. I am probably going to vote no because I feel the same way as Tom. I am not much of a joiner, but the few members I have met have been awesome. The information on here has been invaluable. I guess if we made a wrong decision & money became a shortfall, we could just donate. The one thing we must insure, is, this tech information, must never be deleted!
alnukem is offline   Reply With Quote